Blood sugar and Covid

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been out of quarantine from a mild dose of Covid (bit of a runny nose, bit of a cough, sore throat, eventually lossof smell) for a week now and I am ony left with a bit of a cough which doesn't bother me.
My fasting blood sugar pre covid was around 6.2 (down to < 6 in 4 hours becfore lunch) . During Covid my fasting blood sugar went up to 8.7 which I ignored as it always goes up with a cold infection . In the last few days it has come down to 7.4 fasting but today back to 7.6. I take 1 x metformin at breakfast. How long is it going to take to come back down and shoud I be bothered.? I admit I have not been able to do my usual exercise routine because of my health club Xmas/New Year closures and although I have a spin class tonight it wil only be next week when it is back to my usual one or 2 classes an evening. I am on a permanent low carb/low GI - nearly keto diet. Thanks for reading.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ricky. I guess there is no single answer to your queries. How long blood glucose levels remain elevated following illness depends on so many variables. For example: age, gender, other health conditions, how ill one actually was with rhe virus/ infection, general fitness, diet, medication, etc.

As far as I am aware I haven’t had covid, but was ill with a virus in October, and have been seeing higher fasting levels since. I am not too concerned, as I am only just beginning to feel physically well again, and my levels later in the day have been in my usual range. I haven’t had any monitoring by GP, but a home Hba1c test didn’t give cause for alarm. Are you testing high at other times, or just fasting?

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Ricky. I guess there is no single answer to your queries. How long blood glucose levels remain elevated following illness depends on so many variables. For example: age, gender, other health conditions, how ill one actually was with rhe virus/ infection, general fitness, diet, medication, etc.

As far as I am aware I haven’t had covid, but was ill with a virus in October, and have been seeing higher fasting levels since. I am not too concerned, as I am only just beginning to feel physically well again, and my levels later in the day have been in my usual range. I haven’t had any monitoring by GP, but a home Hba1c test didn’t give cause for alarm. Are you testing high at other times, or just fasting?
Haven't any other health condition but am over 70 and am very fit . My fasting levels are my concern as they affect the HbA1C which last time in September was 45 and I am due one next month. At the moment it is taking a lot longer to return to normal < 6 (<40) before I have my lunch which is really annoying. I think it is OK in the evening