1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugar b4 and after eating

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by B17_Fan, Jul 6, 2021.

1. B17_Fan

B17_Fan Reactive hypoglycemia · Well-Known Member

Hi. This morning I had 2 weetabix. Yes I know it's not a good breakfast but it's all I had.
    I felt tired before I ate.
    My blood sugar was 4.9 before eating
    One hour later it was 7.3

Is this good/bad/too fast a rise?

I'm just off to do a hiit workout now, which will probably deplete my energy levels!

2. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't have RH but as I understand it your pancreas reacts to carbs by overproducing insulin, that along with the exercise could cause your levels to go too low. So I think you need to test regularly so you can correct a low if you need to

3. Ronancastled

Ronancastled Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's a fine 1 hour reading assuming it's your peak.
    What would be interesting with RH would be your 2 hour & 3 hour readings, trying to see if you hypo.
    Strictly speaking a spike <7.8(140) is fine.

4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Yes, a bad breakfast.
    Are you trying to find your spike, there is maybe a reason why you have got that reading.
    1. You spike very quickly, as you would with glucose dumping. So your blood glucose levels are coming down.
    2. You spike later, as if the amount of initial insulin response is smaller, but eventually your spike will be low anyway. So it could be still going up or levelling out.
    To find the spike, you will have to be record readings before and every fifteen minutes for a few hours, and repeat and record.
    There is the possibility that you do not spike high, but because of the insulin overshoot you get the symptoms and hypoglycaemic episodes this causes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook