Blood Sugar Goes High During The Night But Comes Back Down On Its Own

dylt1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, been diabetic over 3 years now and I've just recently been put on the freestyle libre monitor. I've been having issues with my blood sugar being in range when going to bed but rising during the night and then by the morning coming back down to a decent level with no extra insulin.

Please see the image I've linked below, i went to the gym at 6pm had food at 8pm with insulin, levels were in range 2 hours after food. Its annoying me because in the past this could have happened so many times with me just thinking 'its only gone up 2 units over night' when in fact its gone up to 15! I've looked at dawn phenomenon, somogyi effect and waning insulin but it doesnt sound like any of these. Has anyone had anything similar or know what it could be? http://imgur.com/pRJxdTu

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on a basal/bolus regime? when do you take your basal?

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im on novorapid/lantus. I use lantus in the mornings.

Somogyi effect is unlikely, it's mostly used as a lazy way to explain dawn phenomenon in my experience and most type 1s, except maybe those who develop the disease later in life, arent prone to this. It could be the exercise. Exercise can sometimes cause spikes hours later that will then come back down. It could be what you are eating is digesting hours later and you need a longer-acting insulin, such as Actrapid/Regular, to deal with it. It could be that your lantus dose is too high and is eventually dealing with the spike, but not fast enough to avoid it. It could be a combination of these things as well.