Blood sugar levels

Kay_66

Hi I am prediabetic. I'm trying hard to reduce my sugar levels.
Can anyone tell me why my blood sugar is so high when I wake up ? Its averaging 9.8.
The only time it can lower to normal is late afternoon after work when I'm starving !
Thanks
Kay

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will be the dawn phenomenon. Your liver is trying to be helpful getting your body ready for the day. It is the last number to come down. Ignore it for now. Concentrate on your readings before you eat and 2 hours after.

Reactions: Kay_66 and Antje77

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome. This is a great place for information and support!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Might be a good idea to see your GP and get tested for T2 if you haven't recently.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It sounds like you have readings above 9 for most of the day- I agree with @Tophat1900 that you should see your doctor and get tested for t2 if you haven't been tested recently.

I also suggest that even if you are still in the prediabetic level reducing carbs would be a good idea

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no need to starve when trying to control blood glucose, protein and fat are find - as long as they are not processed to include starch or sugar - the breadcrumb coating on some packaged foods can mean eating a lot of carbs if it is not discarded.

Quilt61

Hi my blood sugar levels are hovering around 4.1, I’m taking Lantus, metformin and Novarapid, is this ok or should it be higher