Blood sugar monitor woes - Just cried (T2)

Tedder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am feeling ever so sorry for myself. I shouldn't because I will get through this.

To cut a story short, was diagnosed with T2 a year ago. Started well, nurse was happy. Lost weight and reduced metformin. Then in recent months, I lost control and at my recent annual appointment my nurse put me on Gliclazide and asked me to take daily readings - fasting pre breakfast.

The machine, 'Tee2' is so sensitive to error messages, I am wasting strips. I also seem to struggle to give blood sometimes despite changing the lancet depth. I am a 49 year old man and I nearly cried just minutes ago when I decided to check because I was feeling a little hot and unwell, and I wasted 4 strips before it would work. The sides of my fingers are sore from trying and although I should take comfort that my nurse wants me to do this for just a few weeks, I am really struggling.

The screen of the 'Tee2' is so sensitive to movement that I have to lightly pick it up to avoid issues. I don't feel heavy handed but are they all this temperamental?

I feel a bit useless right now.

D

Deleted member 556660

Oh no - my heart goes out to you. I've not used the Tee2, so can't comment on the sensitivity. All I can say is make sure your hands are nice and warm before you try to take blood. Maybe just pop them into some hot / warm water before you start. Try using the ball of your finger - I struggle with the sides. Don't forget you only need a tiny drop. Don't feel useless you're doing your level best....... Stay strong on this one......

Reactions: jjraak and Tedder

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I had similar problems when I first started testing, lots of wasted strips due to error messages. I found that if I tried to put a blob of blood onto the strip, more often than not it would result in a ruined test.
But if I treated my meter like the little vampire it is by just offering the test strip up to the blood and letting it sip the blood until its had enough, I could usually get a successful reading.
As for the screen being sensitive, check that the battery is secure and making a good connection with the contacts.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An easier way to stab your finger is with an Accu Chek clicker pen which uses preloaded cartridge of 6 lancets which can be set at 5 different depths of incision. You dont see the lancets, its very much easier to use. Btw if you do invest you dont need to just use each of the 6 only once, you can use each one many times.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tips for testing

Be well hydrated with clean, warm hands. That makes it easier for blood to flow.
Give your finger a massage from palm to tip a couple of times before you prick it.
Get your meter ready. Have the test strip positioned ready to insert but don’t push it in fully yet. This means less messing about once the drop is ready and waiting. And you aren’t rushing to get it all done before the meter times out either
Then use the lancet at the edges of the fingertips, not the centre of the pad, not on the very top. It does less damage there and limits loss of sensitivity over the years.
Rotate the site of the pin prick each time. Maybe around each finger or a new finger each time. Doesn’t matter but avoid hitting the same spot every time.
Then wait. Let the blood well up. Try not to squeeze if you can and if you do need to do again from the bottom up to top not tight at the top. Less bruising this way and a better sample too.
Deftly finish inserting the strip and then scoop up the blood onto the collection line by inserting the strip into the drop from the side (rather than dab it on). The line should “suck” the blood along itself.

Make sure you set the depth of the lancet only as deep as it needs to be. Each finger and position on that finger will likely bleed a little differently. We all have favourite or difficult spots. And a sharp lancet hurts less than a blunt one. Officially you are supposed to change it every test. Many of us only do it when it hurts more. Do not share obviously And reuse at your own risk/discretion.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Tee2 and it took me a while, and a lot of strips to get the knack. Since then it's first time, everytime. Think of the strip being like a straw, it just needs to hover in the nicely rounded drop of blood to suck it up. If it touches the bottom it won't be able to suck up the blood

And don't worry about changing the lancet everytime - that advice is for health care people so they don't use the same lancet on different people. If its just you using it you can use it several times over, I only change every 3 -6 months.

And don't worry, we've all been there and understand. Do persevere, it's well worth it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Tee+2 and can't remember ever having a failed test, nor seen that it is sensitive to movement.
I put the strip ready on top of the meter and stab a finger, get the drop of blood required, then insert the strip - I then wait for the meter to set up and show that it is ready for the blood to be applied, put the tip of the strip to the drop and wait for it to indicate that it is happy and counting down to showing a reading.

Reactions: jjraak and Tedder

moraccomoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a stress ball for 15 secs before taking test. Make sure hand is clean and dry. Use a clicker pen - it is easier and less hurtful than lancet. If finger tips are too painful, try lower palm. Skin is tougher and less susceptible to soreness.

Switch hands everyday.