Blood sugar readings - what is acceptable??

bayadere

Please could anyone give me some advice? My 24 year old son was diagnosed this week with Type 1. He (and all of his family) is just trying to find his way around the checking and injecting.
I wish I knew more about the condition...Last night my son injected before our evening meal, we ate lean chicken, broccoli, rice, he only drank water...2 hours later his reading was 14. Now, I just read on this website that if a reading is above 13.3, the doctor should be called. So should we have worried even more than we did last night? The Diabetics Nurse explained that in these early days, the insulin dosage cannot yet be tailored to my son's need, so he injects 8 units (I think), to be reviewed once he has kept a diary for a while.
What are acceptable levels??? When should he seek help?
Thank you for any advice you could give!!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As a Type 1 the 2010 NICE Guideline BG levels are as follows.

Fasting (waking) .............between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals.............no more than 9 mmol/l.

f the post meal reading is lower so much the better.

You do not need to call a Dr at the level quoted just check for Ketones. Not exactly sure where you read that information ? It is not a massively high level and is related to the food eaten. You can get Ketostix prescribed or purchase from any Pharmacy. Some meters also read ketone levels but different strips are required. If the ketone levels are high and Bg levels are also high then medical attention should be sought.

Ken

moonstone

Hello Bayadere,

You may have been looking at the Ketones page for that advice, however the advice is to call a Dr only if he has two readings above 13.3 AND there are ketones present. As Ken correctly says, you must get hold of some Ketostix. Your son is now entitled to free prescriptions for everything for life however I'd suggest you just go and buy a bottle for the minute to save all the hassle and get them into the house. The reading of 14 will (again, as Ken said) be related to his food. Have a read of the ketones page again to be sure you understand. Yes in general highs aren't good but neither are lots of high-low swings. They will build up problems over time. Equally, bringing his sugar levels down too quickly is dangerous. So, just stick to what you've been told to do for now, get some ketone testing strips to be on the safe side, and go to A+E if they are +2 or above (that's the advice I was given when newly diagnosed just over 2yrs ago). Call a Dr for advice if there are traces or they're +1. Bear in mind that lots of people get 'starvation ketones' which is when you haven't eaten for several hours, and that's completely normal and not to be fretted over - they'll disappear when you eat. Any time there are ketones, drinking water (sipping 100mls every hour or so) will help to physically flush them out of your body and that's a step you can take without any medical advice!

Hopefully your son is going to be able to get onto what's called a DAFNE course - it means "Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating" - and then he'll learn how to take total control over his insulin/food intake and he will then be given slightly different levels to aim for than the ones Ken has given. I would add here that the best practice is to be 5.5 or above on waking as 4 is very close to hypo and the current advice from DAFNE is that is too low to be waking up on as it could signal he's been hypo in his sleep; if he's regularly in the 4s on waking, please mention it to the Dr/diabetes nurse (but don't be overly alarmed). They will either slightly reduce his background insulin or slightly reduce the dose of the last meal before bed. That should sort it out. Only do what they tell you for now - don't make any decisions on your own unless they give you some scope to do so - there are many things you don't yet know and playing with it could be playing with fire until you are all better informed.

The key for the moment is don't panic. Treat hypos seriously and immediately, and test for ketones when ill and/or repeatedly high, but otherwise just continue. If he is getting highs all the time but he's not ill and there are no ketones then the hospital will alter his doses. Keep in contact with them. One thing to watch out for is he is a candidate for something called the honeymoon period - this is when the body weirdly decides to make its own insulin again (they don't know why) and it happens after you start injecting. It can go on for up to a year or so, as it did with me, and then the doses will have to be drastically cut. So testing on waking, before each meal and before bed is key. If worried about overnight levels, test at 3am as this is when the body will normally go low anyway (even in non-diabetics). The best advice for type 1s is not to test after meals unless you feel funny, but if you do, being under 9 is good (but not too low, as the insulin is still working after 4-5hrs, even up to 6hrs sometimes). I have to say that if I'm under 9 2hrs after injecting, I can easily slip into hypo territory so, of course, everyone is different. I definitely prefer to see a 10 or so, 2hrs after food, but that's come with personal experience and it isn't the same for everyone. It's going to take quite a long time to stabilise and get used to everything so don't worry it will all become clear over time. You can find more advice on the Type 1 section of this forum. Your son is lucky to have someone close to him take such an interest in how this all works - none of my family have a clue and they haven't even asked.

Best of luck.
Moonstone.

jopar

At the moment he really needs to be guided by his team as being newly diagnoised, the clinic will set slightly different targets short term, this enables them to stablise his blood glucose levels, and reduce them, so that that his insulin can be adjusted accordanly...

Several reasons for this..

When the blood glucose is at high levels, it is more resistant to insulin being injected, so as the levels stablises adjustments need to be made, this helps to prevent nasty hypo's

Also any quick drops in blood glucose can kick in hypo symptoms when the body is not, hypo symptoms can be unpleasent, and if being kicked off at higher levels, the diabetic is reluctant to aim for near normal levels... With but I get hypo's below 8mmol/ml or what ever..

Monitoring is very important, keeping dairy of BG/Insulin dose/food, carbs/illness etc seems very time consuming, but the better the picture you bulid the easier it is to how to adjust..

No good going to clinic saying, I keep getting hypo's but no pattern, if you just looking at BG figures, as it may well be the game of footie that you played maybe the culprit, and who remembers whether they played footie, or felt ill on the xxx date 2 months ago let alone the other week...

Also more if at any point he feel iffy out of sorts then test his BG (note the reason down you tested) by doing this he will learn his individual symptoms that indicate he's blood surgars are getting low or too high..

At the moment he needs to stablise his blood sugar levels before working on fine tuning them, he will likely to go through a honeymoon period, where he achieves reasonable good control, then it all starts to go out of kilter signalling the end, this period is said to last anything up to a year, but in truth they aren't totally sure how long it can last..

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Great post moonstone. Very informative for the new member........ :D

Ken

iHs

bayadere said:
Please could anyone give me some advice? My 24 year old son was diagnosed this week with Type 1. He (and all of his family) is just trying to find his way around the checking and injecting.
I wish I knew more about the condition...Last night my son injected before our evening meal, we ate lean chicken, broccoli, rice, he only drank water...2 hours later his reading was 14. Now, I just read on this website that if a reading is above 13.3, the doctor should be called. So should we have worried even more than we did last night? The Diabetics Nurse explained that in these early days, the insulin dosage cannot yet be tailored to my son's need, so he injects 8 units (I think), to be reviewed once he has kept a diary for a while.
What are acceptable levels??? When should he seek help?
Thank you for any advice you could give!!!

Hi :)

Although people will presume that your son's insulin regime involves injecting insulin about 4-5 times a day (bolus/basal), the consultant may have started him off using twice daily insulin (biphasic) so unless you tell us what insulins he is using, then we'll be able to advise you accordingly.

Although it's important for all insulin dependant people to include some form of carbohydrate in their meals (so that the insulin has got something to work on), it's also important to not eat loads of carb at any one time, especially rice and pasta. Rice and pasta will push blood glucose levels up by quite a high amount so although they can still be enjoyed, smaller quantities usually work best. A good book to get hold of is written by a London hospital dietitian - Carbs and Cals. It shows the carb quantity of many popular foods by using pictures, so is worth buying.

Whatever insulin regime your son is using another must have is to get your dsn or gp to prescribe insulin pens that deliver in half unit increments. Half unit adjustments can make a lot of difference in getting blood glucose levels to remain with target levels.