Blood sugar running low after an operation

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had my operation yesterday morning to have the carpel released on my wrist, yesterday my BS was slightly high so ran a temp basal increase, but today its been the exact opposite.

The highest reading I have had was 5.5 at 9.30 when I first woke up, followed by a 3.1/4.2/4.5/ and now 3.3.

I had already changed the pumps profile to my day off setting which gives me 1.8 units less basal than my work days, I have just done a 10% decrease on the day off profile. Normally when on MDI my bloods would be elevated after such an event or sickness so I'm a little confused to why it has gone the opposite way when on the pump.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Did your op go well @Gaz-M?

This where a pump comes into its own, the ability to adjust basal levels in times of illness, strange why you've had to use a minus TBR as you would expect the complete opposite.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yes that is why I posted @noblehead, it kind of grabbed me off guard.

I ended up having 25 carbs at 23.45 as I had dropped to 1.9mmol and had 25 carbs tested again at 00.10 2.3mmol so had another 25 carbs, woke with a BS of 9.8. Ive had 1 hypo today but the BS seems to be settling ok, maybe the local anesthetic had knocked me about a little :(

Nuttyal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Gaz-M
I too had problems with BG following my hip replacement op last December. I was in hospital for three days and BG was slightly raised during that time. After I came home my BG went completely haywire and I tried in vain to keep it under control. Eventually I rang my DSN and explained the situation. DSN stated that it is normal for BG levels to fluctuate quite a bit after an operation. I was told keep on with my normal regimen of calculating carbs and injecting insulin accordingly. Also told not to worry and give myself another week to let things settle down after which, BG levels should return to normal. Following week everything had returned to normal.
I must admit I was getting very stressed about BG levels which didn't help!
I hope everything now ok with you.

Reactions: 3 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah its settled down now thankyou, can't remember it doing that when I had my hips done though.

Took the dressing off last night and its got some tasty bruising on the palm and wrist area