Blood sugar spikes.

TERRYBURGE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, does anyone get bs spikes after drinking Milk? I'm finding mine does after consuming any food with lactose in it?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, does anyone get bs spikes after drinking Milk? I'm finding mine does after consuming any food with lactose in it?

Hi @TERRYBURGE Milk contains lactose which is another form of sugar so no wonder you're having a spike, if your carb counting then you will need to bolus for it, I have a latte now and again and because of the milk I count it as 10g of carb.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am trying to switch from white tea to creamed coffee for that very reason. It is proving difficult but cutting the carb intake from milk is a goal I am working on.

TERRYBURGE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks JuicyJ. Do you even count if you have a splash of milk in tea? I have not counted it before as usually a small amount. I always have a cuppa before going to bed so can't really take a shot can I? I was considering buying lactose free milk?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Milk's a high carb drink. You can use it if you're low it works as fast as apple juice. Doesn't matter if it's lactose free either.

Reactions: HLC2017

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I stopped drinking milk for that reason - I do put a little bit of milk in my Tea and Coffee - but as far as drinking a glass of milk. I haven't done that in years - still eat lots of cheese though, probably too much :)
I often wonder if adults even need to drink milk - there's the old calcium argument but you can get calcium from so many other things although I'm sure the dairy industry thinks it's a good idea to drink milk at any age ....

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I put milk in my coffee and when I have an ommelett just a drop and it does not spike me at all

D

Deleted Account

Herbal tea tastes pretty nasty with milk in it.
Although peppermint tea with milk is a lovely colour :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i dont take milk in tea and coffee and i dont drink milk but i do have it on my weetabix of a morning and always get a huge spike now i know the reason why it is semi skimmed milk but i dont suppose that makes a difference

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it comes to raising your blood sugar all milk is the same. There's no "diet milk" or "milk zero".

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped drinking milk for that reason - I do put a little bit of milk in my Tea and Coffee - but as far as drinking a glass of milk. I haven't done that in years - still eat lots of cheese though, probably too much :)
I often wonder if adults even need to drink milk - there's the old calcium argument but you can get calcium from so many other things although I'm sure the dairy industry thinks it's a good idea to drink milk at any age ....

Adult females do, particularly as they age, to help prevent osteoarthritis.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lactose-free milk has 2.8g of carbs (sugar) per 100ml of milk, which is not much less than regular milk. I checked out how much I use, and 100ml does me for 6 cups of tea - which is about my daily consumption. So I just add 3g of carbs to my daily total amount.

It's a lot more expensive, though, than normal milk (I guess same as everything else that's lactose-free or gluten-free, or whatever-free!)

Skim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's better to use full fat milk as it will slow carb digestion a little.. @karen8967 wetabix is very high carb and will be difficult to manage anyway. It's high fibre so that helps a bit but it will always be tricky to mamage

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
When it comes to raising your blood sugar all milk is the same. There's no "diet milk" or "milk zero".

Ever heard of .....
Almond milk, soya milk, coconut milk, flax milk, hazelnut milk.... All lower carb that dairly milk but admittedly don't taste nice in tea :-0