Blood Sugar weirdness

Zeddedhed

I've recently started testing again and trying to get things into a good place - low carb, a bit more exercise etc.
I've noticed that in the morning my BG can sometimes be around the 8.0 mark, and will continue to rise often up to 10 or 11mmol/l until about 10:00 or 11:00. I know that it isn't due to the carbs I'm eating, as at the moment I'm being extremely strict and not eating anymore than about 30g per day, and rarely have more than a few grams at most before midday - I don't really do breakfast, just coffee with LactoFree milk.

Having read on here about Dawn Phenomenon I thought it best to have a couple of eggs today, and my BG was 7.9 on waking and by 08:43 (1 1/4 hrs later) it was 9.4.

Any ideas anyone?

BTW, I'm type 2 on 1500mgs Metformin and some other pills

Zeddedhed

2.6g per 100g

I'm pretty sure that grams = ml, so a cup of coffee would use 30ml (g) of milk therefore .78g per cup of coffee (lets call it 1g) Or am I doing something dodgy with my maths here?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Double cream in your coffee will probably be less. The skinnier the milk, the higher the carbs.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It still isn't that bad I wouldn't worry yourself to much !

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When do you exercise? Aggressive or intense exercise can raise bgl levels. If you get an adrenaline rush from it, then that will stop your body from storing glucose from the blood, and thence it will remain in the blood regardless of the level of insulin (see Citric Cycle aka Krebs Cycle) Too much adrenaline also triggers the fight/flight enzyme glucagon to get the liver to put out more glucose, but storage is switched off. It is a defence mechanism to provide emergency energy to stand ground or run away.

Funnily enough, it is said that a brisk walk is better than a 10 min HIT session for diabetes control.

Zeddedhed

When do you exercise? Aggressive or intense exercise can raise bgl levels. If you get an adrenaline rush from it, then that will stop your body from storing glucose from the blood, and thence it will remain in the blood regardless of the level of insulin (see Citric Cycle aka Krebs Cycle) Too much adrenaline also triggers the fight/flight enzyme glucagon to get the liver to put out more glucose, but storage is switched off. It is a defence mechanism to provide emergency energy to stand ground or run away.

Funnily enough, it is said that a brisk walk is better than a 10 min HIT session for diabetes control.
I doubt that it's anything to do with exercise - this has been happening for the last two weeks and I haven't really got into the exercise routine yet - only averaging about 8000 steps per day at work.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I would just put it down to the dawn phenomenom , It's been like that for 46 years for me and i'me still here !

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Personally my DP has always been terminated by a zero carb breakfast. I sometime had readings as high as 8.0, but after 2 boiled eggs and green tea (no milk) it never rose and if anything fell. These days being in remission it isn't as high so I feel no need to eat any breakfast before lunch.
I echo both @xfieldok and @Oldvatr that the skinnier the mild the higher the carbs it contains and that low intensity exercise is usually better in immediate reduction of BG than high intensity which may well provoke the liver to pump more glucose into the blood stream.

Reactions: Oldvatr

KidDougi

I have had a similar experience…. I have only been diagnosed as T2 for a few months but I got myself a Libre 2 quite quickly so that I can get as full an understanding as possible of my BG.
My general approach is low carb with intermittent fasting. What I have started to notice is that on my fasting days my BG will vary but will generally be quite low. But as it approaches the time I usually have my main meal of the day, circa 5pm my BG starts to rise, significantly.
Without a better understanding of what is actually happening, I concluded that it’s my body getting ready for the ‘hunt’ for food.
I usually HIIT exercise in the mornings (8am) and I’m at a point now where I don’t see a change in my BG after training.

So I too are interested to find out why these peaks happen before I’ve eaten and particularly when I’m fasting.