Blood sugar will not go up

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I have no idea what to do as my blood sugar will not go back up, because as 8am it was 7.0 at breakfast then at 11;08am it was 1.4, I had 20g of carb and then at 11:51am it was 2.9

Then at 12:49 it was 4.9.

Litreally had 35g of carb for lunch and then at 1:30pm it dropped back down to 2.9 without doing any insulin at all.

All I did in between was watching a tv episode and that’s not being active at all.

but thing is I ate another 15g and still didn’t go up.

I just don’t know what to do now and I don’t know what’s causing this either. I feel like if I eat anything else’s im just going to throw up

I haven’t even been active at all today. So this day is being weird.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you feel hypo when you had the 1.4 and 2.9 readings?

Could it be your meter/test strips are just not working properly? Have you got another pot of test strips to try out?
Or are you using a libre? - sometimes they do just fail - if its a libre reading you probably want to check with a blood glucose meter, Libres can be remarkably inaccurate when they show less than about 4 or 5

Reactions: oldgreymare

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you been treating your hypo with fast acting carbs - not sandwiches, biscuits or chocolate as they are slow acting and can take some time to have an affect. but jelly babies, cola, fruit juice or dextrose.

I would be downing all the fast acting carbs hat I can find. If I run out of GlucoTabs, I would be raiding my baking cupboard for dried fruit.
And then following it up with slow acting carbs to try to maintain it.

As for the cause, have you had your covid jab recently? I spent a couple of days fighting off hypos after I had mine and was surprised because, up until that point, I had only read about people experiencing rises in blood sugars. Since then, I have discovered I am not alone - 2 weeks after my second jab and my basal is still 75% of normal.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did you feel hypo when you had the 1.4 and 2.9 readings?

Could it be your meter/test strips are just not working properly? Have you got another pot of test strips to try out?
Or are you using a libre? - sometimes they do just fail - if its a libre reading you probably want to check with a blood glucose meter, Libres can be remarkably inaccurate when they show less than about 4 or 5

Yeah today I did as I got a headache and felt tired, kept falling asleep on an off. The strips were working fine yesterday and I had to put a new set in yesterday

I don’t use anything attached to my skin, I personally hate things attached, the monitor I use is Dario. It’s a lot easier for me as apart from today I’m usually working with animals

Have you been treating your hypo with fast acting carbs - not sandwiches, biscuits or chocolate as they are slow acting and can take some time to have an affect. but jelly babies, cola, fruit juice or dextrose.

I would be downing all the fast acting carbs hat I can find. If I run out of GlucoTabs, I would be raiding my baking cupboard for dried fruit.
And then following it up with slow acting carbs to try to maintain it.

As for the cause, have you had your covid jab recently? I spent a couple of days fighting off hypos after I had mine and was surprised because, up until that point, I had only read about people experiencing rises in blood sugars. Since then, I have discovered I am not alone - 2 weeks after my second jab and my basal is still 75% of normal.

I use sweets or juice to treat lows, i had my 2nd covid jab I think around 3 weeks ago.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea what to do as my blood sugar will not go back up, because as 8am it was 7.0 at breakfast then at 11;08am it was 1.4, I had 20g of carb and then at 11:51am it was 2.9

Then at 12:49 it was 4.9.

Litreally had 35g of carb for lunch and then at 1:30pm it dropped back down to 2.9 without doing any insulin at all.

All I did in between was watching a tv episode and that’s not being active at all.

but thing is I ate another 15g and still didn’t go up.

I just don’t know what to do now and I don’t know what’s causing this either. I feel like if I eat anything else’s im just going to throw up

I haven’t even been active at all today. So this day is being weird.

Hi Lulu,

Has it been warmer than usual where you are today?
I haven't been as active as I normally am today. (Just a bit of carpentry & digging out.) & found the warmer weather makes me more sensitive to my basal? Today, I've caught a couple of lows. No fast acting insulin on board.

Do you still use Lantus, perchance?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Lulu,

Has it been warmer than usual where you are today?
I haven't been as active as I normally am today. (Just a bit of carpentry & digging out.) & found the warmer weather makes me more sensitive to my basal? Today, I've caught a couple of lows. No fast acting insulin on board.

Do you still use Lantus, perchance?

It’s hardly ever warm in England and yes lantus is what I use just before bedtime, I use lantus and novo rapid. My carb ratio is 1:3 for breakfast and 1:7 lunch, supper and any snacks, , so perhaps it was my body compensating for the activity yesterday since I volunteer at an animal park Wednesday and Fridays.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s hardly ever warm in England and yes lantus is what I use just before bedtime, I use lantus and novo rapid. My carb ratio is 1:3 for breakfast and 1:7 lunch, supper and any snacks, , so perhaps it was my body compensating for the activity yesterday since I volunteer at an animal park Wednesday and Fridays.

I agree the weather hasn't been sweltering of late. I work in landscaping. The sites can be "sun traps."
Yesterday started misty then did heat up a little for me & the guy I was working with.
Which can increase insulin sensitivity..