Blood sugars going up

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
This is my worries I was on 2x metformin morning and night and 80 gliclazide morning and night or after food.
My bs were doing good as my hba1c was 13.5.....now inbetween 4.9 and 8.00

Due to a skin rash which is thought to be a rare side effect metformin which I am going for biopsy .I have stopped metformin and nurse has also reduced gliclazide to 40mg ...my blood sugars are going up in the 6.5 to 7.9s I am on a very low carb diet and I'm not loosing weight either .... so why is my blood rising ?...

Bacon eggs , chops veg. Chicken salads ..omlettes water. I'm really lost for what to eat )

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Simply put, you came off the meds that were keeping your numbers low.

6.5 - 7.9 on its own doesn't give much info, before/after/fasting/after gym ect ect

A little more info and people who are way more smarterer than me will have more info, but on the first impression less meds = higher blood levels.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would think it more to do with the reduction of gliclazide than of metformin gliclazide increases the amount of insulin you produce hence effects the level of blood sugars metformin however acts differently reducing the amount of glucose released by the liver, and has little direct effect on blood sugars

Those choices of food seem to be very good to me though some vegetables may be a little more carby than others and if your salads contain tomatoes or onion or legumes or such you may be having a little more carbs than you think, though I'm sure you know that.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would think it more to do with the reduction of gliclazide than of metformin gliclazide increases the amount of insulin you produce hence effects the level of blood sugars metformin however acts differently reducing the amount of glucose released by the liver, and has little direct effect on blood sugars

Those choices of food seem to be very good to me though some vegetables may be a little more carby than others and if your salads contain tomatoes or onion or legumes or such you may be having a little more carbs than you think, though I'm sure you know that.

Wow I might seem stupid but why would they put me on gliclazide to increase insulin ......also I didnt know there were carbs in Tom's. I'll have to get a low carb list .......yes I'm dissapointed in bs going up and disheartened I haven't even lost a lb I weight

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh dear .

I'll have to learn about diabeties ect . I'm just confused. These diabetic nurses half of them dont bother to explain what this is for , what that's for ect ...just put on it
Thanks anyway for the help

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
keep on here..look around the site ..forum members will help...for ease i will tag you to saint @JoKalsbeek of the nederlands shes on call 24/7...sorry jo!...

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This is my worries I was on 2x metformin morning and night and 80 gliclazide morning and night or after food.
My bs were doing good as my hba1c was 13.5.....now inbetween 4.9 and 8.00

Due to a skin rash which is thought to be a rare side effect metformin which I am going for biopsy .I have stopped metformin and nurse has also reduced gliclazide to 40mg ...my blood sugars are going up in the 6.5 to 7.9s I am on a very low carb diet and I'm not loosing weight either .... so why is my blood rising ?...

Bacon eggs , chops veg. Chicken salads ..omlettes water. I'm really lost for what to eat )
Hello @sandysan (And thanks for tagging me in @Diawara! <3 ),

Your blood sugars are responding to the lack of medication, but considering what they're like with your low carb diet, I have a feeling you didn't quite need them anymore anyway. You're not seeing extreme rises, so I wouldn't worry. As for what to eat, check dietdoctor.com, this forum's website diabetes.co.uk (not .org) or my own little quick-start-guide, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html . Hope it helps. As for not losing weight, usually it helps if you start intermittent fasting... Skipping one or two meals a day. Doesn't always work, (said the woman who's been stalled in her weight loss for over a year, but still grateful to not be 102+ kilo's anymore), but more often than not, it does.

Hope this helps!
Jo

Reactions: Diawara

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thankyou
Your blood sugars are responding to the lack of medication, but considering what they're like with your low carb diet, I have a feeling you didn't quite need them anymore anyway. You're not seeing extreme rises, so I wouldn't worry. As for what to eat, check dietdoctor.com, this forum's website diabetes.co.uk (not .org) or my own little quick-start-guide, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html . Hope it helps. As for not losing weight, usually it helps if you start intermittent fasting... Skipping one or two meals a day. Doesn't always work, (said the woman who's been stalled in her weight loss for over a year, but still grateful to not be 102+ kilo's anymore), but more often than not, it does.

Hope this helps!
Jo

Hope this helps!
Jo

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow I might seem stupid but why would they put me on gliclazide to increase insulin ......also I didnt know there were carbs in Tom's. I'll have to get a low carb list .......yes I'm dissapointed in bs going up and disheartened I haven't even lost a lb I weight
That's not a stupid question! Meds that increase insulin release are solving the immediate problem of blood sugars better but not helping your longer term issue of being insulin resistant (more insulin=more insulin resistance).
I hope you can find another brand of metformin or another drug that causes you to pee out the glucose. A great book that explains all of this is Jason Fung's Diabetes Code = you can also see him on Diet Doctor site and YouTube!
Your diet seems great and I am sure you will get past this glitch. Have you tried fasting e.g. skipping breakfast as that can also help your body use up excess glucose rather than store it as fat.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I haven't even lost a lb I weight

Most people on low carb diets do lose weight but it can take more time for some than others, I however found that limiting carbs though it helped was not sufficient for me as an individual so I had to limit carbs and calories in order to shed the weight.

Don't forget one of the effects of metformin is to inhibit appetite so if you have reduced or come off metformin you may find yourself eating a little more I know when I stopped taking metformin I found this to be the case and persuaded my GP to put me back on metformin for that reason.