Blood Sugars on Carnivore

kjn68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I recently started Carnivore on 30/4/19 coming from Keto. I think i am doing okay with my hungry.
On Keto my blood sugars were i think good ranging from 6.5 mmol to 7.5 mmol but since going carnivore they
have shot up to 8's and 9's in the morning. I eat OMAD and I am eating mainly beef products. I drink coffee with 15ml
of cream and tea with milk. I know this not strictly carnivore but i get fed up of water.

My Hba1c was 6.7 mmol in Feb 19
My Meds are Metformin 1000mg twice a day, Glimepiride 5mg once a day and i have a Exenatide injection 2mg
weekly.

My question is why are my blood sugars going up when i am having no carbs or sugars. 1200 to 1600 Kcals and about 100 grams fat a day and 120 grams protein a day

Last edited:
M

Member496333

If you are extremely insulin resistant then the increased protein intake can introduce a glucose load if your body is breaking it down to use as fuel instead of just using it for maintenance.

kjn68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are extremely insulin resistant then the increased protein intake can introduce a glucose load if your body is breaking it down to use as fuel instead of just using it for maintenance.
Thank you for your response I have just realised that didn't give you my protein intake in myb orginal post. I have about 100 grams a day.

M

Member496333

I have about 100 grams a day.

Doesn’t sound excessive but it depends how much you weigh, as well as god knows how many other variables. Some understood and some less so. I know in the past that I have seen rises in fasting glucose not too dissimilar to yours when I have been consuming too much lean meat. Others can eat steaks all day long and be fine.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Perhaps you could try a fattier meat? Belly pork is a winner in our house as is lamb.

kjn68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I weigh about 262lbs

M

Member496333

That’s 119kg so 100g of protein seems perfectly fine on the face of it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For a few people the source of protein as well as the amount matters. And there are those who are plainly extremely sensitive to protein. The body would rather not use protein as a fuel unless it has to, it prefers ketones and and/or glucose. So getting the macros right for you as an individual can be a bit of a balancing act.
Do you measure ketones at all?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And just to muddy the waters further, some people see better/worse results with dairy.

kjn68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
And just to muddy the waters further, some people see better/worse results with dairy.
I have used a Keto urine test strip but shows zero but have heard that after a while as you get further into keto they don't
work.

Reactions: Guzzler
M

Member496333

Too right. I can knock back a thousand calories of double cream and see hardly any rise in BG, whereas overdoing my lean meat by 30% would see a rising trend over the course of a few days. Now not so much, so I assume in my case that my sensitivity to meat protein was grounded almost entirely in very bad insulin resistance.

Also it is said that some excess (unused for maintenance) amino acids are excreted by the kidneys, and some are reconstructed into glucose to either be used as fuel or turned into fat for storage, but the factors that determine that ratio are probably unimaginably complex and likely vary in everyone.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have used a Keto urine test strip but shows zero but have heard that after a while as you get further into keto they don't
work.
They are notoriously unreliable, a blood ketone monitor is better but it's an added expense. I suggest that you tinker with amounts and sources and see if anything changes. It may be worthwhile looking again very closely at carb levels too, always my own 'Usual Suspect'.