EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I normally leave my lantus alone and do correction doses with my short action insulin (frequent blood tests but remember not to stack insulin doses). Other things to check
1) Are you confident your insulin(s) haven't gone off ie change the cartridge.
2) Any chance you've overused an injection site and are just injecting in a bad spot.

Good luck.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Nanaclaire, Please could you tell us whether you took short-acting insulin before breakfast, lunch and dinner ?
And if so what doses? And did you take any short acting insulin at other times from after breakfast til 12 MN?
And what did you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner of this day ?
And are you diagnosed as Type 1, type 2, LADA etc?
How long have you been prescribed insulin?
Thanking you in anticipation.

Reactions: Nanaclaire

Nanaclaire

Hi I take short acting insulin at breakfast. 18u. Bloods 7.3
Lunch 18u. : 4.8
Dinner. 26u. 29.0

Toast for breakfast 1, lunch ham sandwich & cup soup coffee dinner chicken steak & rice
I take 24 u if lantus @ mid morning then 43 u @ bedtime
I had nothing out of the ordinary other coffee & water to drink.
This morning my bloods are 10.2 still high but a lot better I’ve been diabetic 20+ yrs & this stumped me thanks

Nanaclaire

Hi I’m Type one with a few health issues the only other thing I think is at moment I have a fractured hand a scaphoid fracture which happened in August but it’s still very painful had a cast on for 8 wks now have to wear a brace for 4 wks & im pretty stressed out with it
Regards

K

Knikki

Hello @Nanaclaire sounds like you are in the wars, I would think that the stress you are experiencing plus the fracture is not going to help matters as these things are known to increase BSL :(

I would contact your DSN or diabetic team as they may have better advice to give than we can on here as none of us are medically trained.

Personally I would leave the Lantus alone as this is long acting insulin so making changes may or may not be picked up by your body quickly, don't know, saying that I would be tempted for a short time just to move the morning Lantus to a little earlier BUT be careful, don't want you to hypo :)

Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Saying all of the above could just be the way wind is blowing at the moment as to why your running so high.

Take care.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi Again @Nanaclaire, Thank you for that information.
Stress can be so pervasive and for me, not necessarily others, both basal and bolus (long and short acting insulin) had to be upped during stressful times. My ups were in the region of 20% plus. Something to be discussed with your DSN.
I imagine that with one wounded 'wing' you cannot do as much exercise as you might otherwise do and so insulin sensitivity might be decreased also. Is some walking possible to help in this department.?
You may have been given all the negative side of scaphoid fracture outcomes rather than the positives. I recall a friend who was worried about his wrist injury and the 10 day wait to see if he did in fact have a scaphoid fracture on repeat Xrays. What he found funny and sustained him through the time and the subsequent healing of the proven fracture was that in making up the plaster cast he was instructed to hold his hand during plastering as though he was holding a can of beer ! The joke became that he was going to have a beer using that hand just as soon as his plaster was off.
I read that there is a nifty device to bring the two parts of the scaphoid fracture together if the fracture does not heal as expected but of course that is not needed in majority of cases.
Look at the positives, no washing up, if it is your writing hand you might have to press gang a scribe into service, or use dictation software, a new experience, and you can outlast anyone else in maintaining a 'beer can hand posture'!!
Please let us know of your journey and how you fare.:):):)

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
Hi Nanaclaire, from what you have said I agree with Knikki and others your injuries and stress levels would not be helping your levels.
Your menu for the day looks good, not sure what a tassimo coffe is.
I have issues with sites and not absorbing my insulin at times, it would pool then release all at once creating lows. I went onto an insulin pump just over 4 years ago, now on my second pump and it is the best move we made. I still have my ups and downs as we do but in the long term it has been great. I now only use my Lantus if my pump breaks down and I have to go back to injections.
Having said all that if you are still getting really wacky reading I would also check with your DSN or diabetic care team.
Good luck and take care