Blood sugars

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I've been doing the lchf for 2 weeks nd I took my BS before my tea it was 4.6. 3 hours after it was 5 is that ok and what should I be aiming for as my HBAC1 was 51 4 weeks ago
Thankyou

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: 4 people

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way to go @maxjoe121!

Those are excellent readings - 4.6 mmol/L (83 mg/dL) pre-tea; 5 mmol/L (90 mg/dL) 3-hours post tea. With levels like that, your next A1c will likely put you in the 5% Club - (an A1c in the range of 5% to 5.9%). A few here have an A1c even lower).

Keep doing what you're doing!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maxjoe121 I haven't read your previous posts. Do you have hypoglycemia? Are you taking medication? If yes, what are you taking?

If you're not taking medication or using insulin...

If your blood glucose levels drop too low, your pancreas will release the hormone glucagon to tell your liver to release glucose into your blood steam and you'll be fine... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucagon

Here's some information on "false hypos" which can be uncomfortable... http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/type-2s-understanding-false-hypos.html

While I had to cope with hypoglycemia and a lot of non-life threatening hypos throughout much of the 80's, I haven't had a true hypo since. My lowest blood glucose since starting the low carb diet 17 months ago was 84 mg/dL (4.7 mmol/L) - (I don't take medication or use insulin).

If you have what you believe to be a hypo, check your blood glucose so you know what's happening.

During the first month on the low carb diet, my body would sometimes think my blood glucose was too low when it wasn't and I'd have what I describe as a "cortisol surge" followed by release of glycagon followed by release of glucose which made me feel shaky all over. By the time I realized what was happening, my blood glucose levels had already increased. This typically happened if I waited too long to eat breakfast.

Today, I prepare breakfast as soon as I get out of bed, and am sitting down to eat within 30 minutes. In that period of time, my blood glucose will rise by up to 10 mg/dL.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You are doing a great job. That is exactly what you want to see with a low carb diet.:p Keep up the good work.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that's good... can my blood sugars go to low and why is to low .. never thought I'd say that as I've always been high haha

There is an opinion that below 4 is too low and is classed as a hypo but that is of more concern to people on the more powerful diabetic drugs and/or insulin since too much of either can force you into a hypo. For everyone else who are not on the powerful stuff the body will automatically correct the situation. Anyone can go a bit low given the right circumstances but the body deals with it.

To cut a long story short, if you are not on powerful drugs or insulin then stop worrying about being too low.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maxjoe121 - If you're not taking any medication, or just Metformin, I'd sat not to worry about lower numbers, unless you feel unwell. My bloods run low quite a lot of the time. I consider it to be my healthy state, but others feel unwell on similar numbers. It's just another example of how we all differ.

If you're taking Gliclazide or something like that, you might want to take note if you are very regularly going under 4.

You seem to be doing very well. Well done. :)

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting BS this morning were 5.2 I had a Alice of wholegrain bread with butter and checked it after an hour it's 8 is that too high I will check it in another hour

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Excellent results @maxjoe121.

Maybe half a slice of bread would be ok, did you test at two hours? sometimes you just have to test, test, test and find out what ok and what isn't. At this stage it's better to test at two hours. If your two hour reading is above 2mmols up from your pre meal reading that either the food or combination of foods is not really good for your blood glucose levels. If it's below, that's fine!

Make sure you keep a food diary, to see trends and if you are improving.

Reactions: 2 people

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results @maxjoe121.

Maybe half a slice of bread would be ok, did you test at two hours? sometimes you just have to test, test, test and find out what ok and what isn't. At this stage it's better to test at two hours. If your two hour reading is above 2mmols up from your pre meal reading that either the food or combination of foods is not really good for your blood glucose levels. If it's below, that's fine!

Make sure you keep a food diary, to see trends and if you are improving.
Thankyou.. I'll keep checking my bloods x

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
You are doing very well indeed you are a true star !!!!!!! but watch out with breads, whole grain breads are much better than the normal white supermarket breads for diabetics but as they are slower to produce a peak in blood glucose the effect is generally much longer lasting.