Blood Test Results

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got my blood test results today and they're all looking good. HbA1c started at 6.6, down 3 months later to 5.8 - on diet and exercise. Doctor is well pleased with my results. I've been low carbing and in the past two months have introduced some fats eg 10% Greek yoghurt (occasionally), full fat cheese, but my cholesterol although still very good is slightly higher than it was 2 months ago. I don't want to see this continuing to rise so I think low carb and low fat is the way forward for me.

Will sticking to low fat foods help to lower the LDL cholesterol and help raise the HDL levels? The LDL level is good, but I do need to improve on the HDL level. It's a juggling act trying to get everything right and keeping the sugars low. :roll:

louiseb

sorry I dont really have any suggestions on how to reduce your cholestral but what i did find out tonight when I was on facebook is that there is going to expert daibetic courses run in belfast in the start of february I dont how useful they will be never been to one it said on the diabetes belfast group on facebook you just need live in the belfast area and ask your gp to refer you.
this course might help you abit.
I wanted to go the desmond course but there was never any available close to belfast this xpert course is the first I have heard of unfortunately I dont live in belfast close to it but close enough lol.

Bertie

Hello

Have you tried the food forum for ideas on lowering your cholesterol, there are some good posting that may help with your quest. Alternatively I'm sure your diabetic nurse or dietician could help provide some suggestions you could share back with the forum.

Good luck

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Louise,
Thanks for the info re the course. Unfortunately I'm not in Belfast either - nor on facebook. :|
When I get some energy Bertie I'll have a look around. Everything is a struggle at the moment.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
nirishdaisy said:
Will sticking to low fat foods help to lower the LDL cholesterol and help raise the HDL levels? The LDL level is good, but I do need to improve on the HDL level. It's a juggling act trying to get everything right and keeping the sugars low. :roll:

Yes it will, although there are others who will no doubt tell you fats don't matter.......in my case and I think in yours from what I have read it does......medical reasons.

Here's how I succeeded in getting all my Lipid Levels etc back in line........following the advice here, however I also take certain meds as well.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... pyourheart

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are several foods that can help to reduce total cholesterol
Putting them together has been called the portfolio diet and has been shown in clinical trials to be effective in those that stuck to the diet.
The beneficial foods are
Almonds.
Foods containing lots of 'soluble' fibre: oats, barley and certain fruits like apples and pears and certain legumes/pulses, peas, red kidney beans, lentils and chickpeas.
Soy: milk, yoghurt, tofu and soy meat subsitutes
Commercial products containing plant stanols http://www.heartuk.org.uk/artman/publis ... _549.shtml

Exercise is very effective for raising HDL

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
cugila said:
nirishdaisy said:

Yes it will, although there are others who will no doubt tell you fats don't matter.......in my case and I think in yours from what I have read it does......medical reasons.

Here's how I succeeded in getting all my Lipid Levels etc back in line........following the advice here, however I also take certain meds as well.

http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressure ... pyourheart

Thank you so much cugila. I never thought of looking at a blood pressure site - since my blood pressure is the only thing about me that is normal lol. Will have a good look around that site, but it certainly helps with the fats. One more question though - I like to do sautéed leeks, courgettes and onions or shallots. Sticking to low carb we don't eat any bread so don't use butter - what is best to use on the occasion that I do need to cook the veg? - got to have a bit of flavour from somewhere. :|

Phoenix - unfortunately fibre and fruit and I don't get on very well. Been down that route and it just doesn't agree with me.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I just sprinkle things with Olive Oil, (Extra Virgin) then cook as desired. I also like to bake those sort of things in the Oven again with a sprinkling of Oil. They can be seasoned to taste although I NEVER use any salt in cooking. Spices and pepper do for me.

I use butter if cooking a steak in a pan as I like some fat, not a lot though. :)

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An update - for the past 2 months my weight loss has been a painfully slow 1lb a week. I really was getting discouraged. This week following the same low carb plan, but eating low fat I have lost 3lbs. To say I'm delighted would be an understatement. :D So surely in the long run this should also help my cholesterol levels.

anniep

Hi

I think that 1lb a week wight loss is a very sensible and sustainable way to loose it - just think of 2 packets of butter and that is how much fat you are loosing every week!

Slow and steady weight loss is more likely to stay off, quick losses are often quick regains.

And like cugila I only use extra virgin olive oil, in cooking.