1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood testing kit

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by RozeeC, May 7, 2019.

1. RozeeC

RozeeC · Member

Hi all
    I bought myself a kit to check myself. Can anyone advise when is the best time to do it and how many times.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great you've got youself a kit. Well done.
    The primary purpose, at least in the initial stages after being diagnosed is to discover just what you can eat and ought not to eat in order to maintain a good glucose level. So, if you test before a meal and then about two hours later, you get a pretty good idea as to how the contents of that meal influenced your BG and what foods to avoid or limit.
    What I did, and it gave me a pretty good perspective on my overall control was to test pre and post prandial, but to rotate the tests every day. So on Monday I'd test breakfast, Tuesday Lunch, Wednesday dinner.
    I think the key thing at your early stage is discovering how YOU react to foods, we are all different!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kittycat_7_

Kittycat_7_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Well done for getting a meter, it's important to do a fasting blood measurement every morning.
    Then in the early days test before eating and 2 hours afterwards.
    Always test more if your at risk of hypo from drugs, and if your driving.
    Take care

5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your morning fasting reading, before or straight after you get out of bed, can be influenced by the dawn phenomenon. The DP readings can be worryingly high. Ignore those readings for now, they are generally the last to come down.

By far the most important readings are those before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite. This tells you how carby your meal is and helps you identify what foods are suitable for you and which are not.

Record your food and readings on an app such as mySugr. I found it highly motivating. After about a week of data the app gives you an estimated HbA1c.

It's a huge learning curve, I promise it gets easier.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RozeeC

RozeeC · Member

Brilliant thank you

7. xfieldok

Another thing, read any packets ingredients. Get to know all the names for hidden sugars, lactose, glucose syrup etc etc

You will make mistakes. We all did. Treat any mistake as part of your education. Don't beat yourself up, it's a waste of energy. It took me 6 weeks when I first went keto after diagnosis to reduce my mistakes to a manageable level.

Despite the 6 weeks of questionable diet, I got my HbA1c number down from 122 at diagnosis to 35 after 4 months. I was pretty fanatical about it. But it shows what can be done.

8. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test a lot, up to 10 times a day, so I test my right hand on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, my left hand on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I test the sides of my finger tips, beginning with the pinky finger, once on each side, then continue with the other fingers as needed. This helps me avoid sore finger tip pads.

It's easy to remember. I test only my right hand on weekends.

Always remember to wash and dry your hands, or finger tip with soap and water prior to testing. If you get a high (or low) reading, you can wash your finger tip again then re-test.

Happy testing!

9. xfieldok

My left pinky seems to be lower for some reason

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook