Blood tests

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, so I've had my blood test back (done privately at work) and its 42 so I'm back to being prediabetic. I've done an econsult with my GP and they have asked for a fasting blood test...why do I feel they are not believing me despite sending the copy of my result. Would cholesterol tests be done as fasting?? With a result of 42 could my fasting blood show I'm not prediabetic. My fasting finger prick blood in the morning is always 5.5 or higher. It all confuses me thank you..

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, so I've had my blood test back (done privately at work) and its 42 so I'm back to being prediabetic. I've done an econsult with my GP and they have asked for a fasting blood test...why do I feel they are not believing me despite sending the copy of my result. Would cholesterol tests be done as fasting?? With a result of 42 could my fasting blood show I'm not prediabetic. My fasting finger prick blood in the morning is always 5.5 or higher. It all confuses me thank you..
A HbA1c isn't a fasting test, as it's an average of 3 months, and fasting or no wouldn't make a difference. It does, however, matter for cholesterol, and they probably do want to know a fasting blood glucose as well. Though honestly... I wouldn't worry about cholesterol right now. Most diabetics are put on statins straight away, while they notoriously up blood sugars, besides other side effects that can be quite unpleasant (if not downright debilitating). I lowered mine with low carbing. And got rid of my fatty liver. And a bunch of other things. So have a read here and there about statins before you start them, should they be offered. They're generally kind of fuel to the high blood sugar fire, unless you have had a previous cardiac event, or familial high cholesterol, which usually runs into the double digits. Make sure you get your results, because the ratios of the various components that make up a total cholesterol test matter more than just "high", "medium" or "low".

At 42 you count as prediabetic, but there might be a deviation because you're being tested at different labs. The GP's lab might not have the same results as yours, and they do need to confirm to put you on their list, I think... Which then'd mean optional medication and very useful regular tests etc, which is a good thing. Relax, go with the flow; knowledge is power, and the more you know about where your body stands now, the better you know what to aim for going in.

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: AngiH

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would cholesterol tests be done as fasting??
Generally a full lipid panel would be done fasted.

With a result of 42 could my fasting blood show I'm not prediabetic.
A single fasting blood glucose test is not usually used for diagnosis of diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Has the surgery given you a blood test form yet? That should list the tests that will be done.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A HbA1c isn't a fasting test, as it's an average of 3 months, and fasting or no wouldn't make a difference. It does, however, matter for cholesterol, and they probably do want to know a fasting blood glucose as well. Though honestly... I wouldn't worry about cholesterol right now. Most diabetics are put on statins straight away, while they notoriously up blood sugars, besides other side effects that can be quite unpleasant (if not downright debilitating). I lowered mine with low carbing. And got rid of my fatty liver. And a bunch of other things. So have a read here and there about statins before you start them, should they be offered. They're generally kind of fuel to the high blood sugar fire, unless you have had a previous cardiac event, or familial high cholesterol, which usually runs into the double digits. Make sure you get your results, because the ratios of the various components that make up a total cholesterol test matter more than just "high", "medium" or "low".

At 42 you count as prediabetic, but there might be a deviation because you're being tested at different labs. The GP's lab might not have the same results as yours, and they do need to confirm to put you on their list, I think... Which then'd mean optional medication and very useful regular tests etc, which is a good thing. Relax, go with the flow; knowledge is power, and the more you know about where your body stands now, the better you know what to aim for going in.

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks Jo.
I know the hba1c is based on 3 months, and just wasn't sure if they thought it was not the right test and are requesting a fasting glucose test, but I was previously diagnosed 2 years ago by my GP on that HBA1C test alone. Maybe they are testing cholesterol...metabolic syndrome maybe as I fall into that with high BP and my waist size
Thank you will book my blood tomorrow and see what happens....

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally a full lipid panel would be done fasted.

A single fasting blood glucose test is not usually used for diagnosis of diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Has the surgery given you a blood test form yet? That should list the tests that will be done.
Thank you, yes I'm thinking it could be a lipid panel as previously they diagnosed prediabetes on my HBA1C in 2019.
I'll ring the surgery to book, and ask what the test is for.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1C is not a fasted test.
Blood glucose levels are usually fasted. There is a cut off for non fasted but it’s pretty high: so pretty useless
Cholesterol sometimes is fasted depending on your dr and exactly which cholesterol they are testing. I would never do any cholesterol testing without fasting 12-14 hrs and have asked hcp to remove cholesterol from the tests (withheld permission) when they try to add it without telling me ahead of time they are doing it if I am not incidentally fasted.

I always asked exactly what they are testing before they stick me.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
with me when i was diagnosed they wanted fasting as they also wanted a fasting BG done by the lab. along with all the other tests which showed fatty liver

it depends what other tests they put on the forms.. but fasting won't affect the HBA1C

i doubt its a case they don't trust you.. its probably policy that they have todo their own diagnostics..

Its a bit like me going to one of my competitors customers telling them there is something wrong with the equipment they have been supplied, diagnosing and telling them what's wrong... the competitor is still going to want to do their own diagnostics to ensure the correct fix is done..

and in fairness something like this, which is going to have some form of effect on your life it doesn't hurt to have an extra test.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I always fast regardless, I once couldn’t be tested for something because no one had told me to fast, can’t remember but I always go for earliest possible time and fast.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always fast for any blood tests so at least I know there is consistency

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo.
I know the hba1c is based on 3 months, and just wasn't sure if they thought it was not the right test and are requesting a fasting glucose test, but I was previously diagnosed 2 years ago by my GP on that HBA1C test alone. Maybe they are testing cholesterol...metabolic syndrome maybe as I fall into that with high BP and my waist size
I get these tests done once a year now, as part of an annual diabetic review. Used to be once every three months, but it tapered off as I got control. So you can expect this to become a regular thing. :)

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all.
So I have booked my blood test..earliest is 7th June. And the doctor has requested fasting glucose and cholesterol.
I am aware the hba1c doesn't change whether you fast or not as it's based on 3 months prior. But last time I was diagnosed they accepted my results (same as before through my job) and no further bloods. Maybe they are investigating a bit more this time due to not managing to keep it reversed.
Thank you for all your advice..I may or may not be prediabetic, I guess it will depend on the fasting glucose...

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jo.
I think you sound like classic metabolic syndrome i.e. too much insulin and it is getting to the stage where your body can't deal with your blood sugar adequately and this is causing you to have higher blood glucose. You may find your GP less interested until you present with something that he or she can give you meds for such as full blown diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension. But as you know that symptom (prediabetes or glucose intolerance and the visceral fat (shown by waist size greater than 35") + BP can be treated with a low or lower carb diet of real food. GPs rarely get nutritional training longer than a day and tend to treat the individual symptoms individually without treating the root cause of the problem with change in diet.
If you're getting the lipid panel done too take a look at the triglycerides and hdl level which will give you another indicator of the same problem. If the trigs are higher than HDL it shows your body struggling with the glucose you're eating.
Let us know how you get on!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you sound like classic metabolic syndrome i.e. too much insulin and it is getting to the stage where your body can't deal with your blood sugar adequately and this is causing you to have higher blood glucose. You may find your GP less interested until you present with something that he or she can give you meds for such as full blown diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension. But as you know that symptom (prediabetes or glucose intolerance and the visceral fat (shown by waist size greater than 35") + BP can be treated with a low or lower carb diet of real food. GPs rarely get nutritional training longer than a day and tend to treat the individual symptoms individually without treating the root cause of the problem with change in diet.
If you're getting the lipid panel done too take a look at the triglycerides and hdl level which will give you another indicator of the same problem. If the trigs are higher than HDL it shows your body struggling with the glucose you're eating.
Thank you Nicole.
When I mentioned metabolic syndrome before, the GP just oh no you won't have that. But maybe it is, the bloods will show.
I will update once the results are back.

Reactions: NicoleC1971
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Smoking

Hi Angie. Sounds like you are doing all the right things here. Hope you are well. Steve Joy