Blood Tests

Erin2a

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often does everyone do their blood tests? I do mine twice a day but often i forget and i hate doing them injections are fine just the finger tests i hate are there any other areas that you can test your blood?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have seen people use ear lobes to blood test.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Test my bg 8 times a day at the moment. If you find it uncomfortable testing with your fingers then talk to your DSN about AST (alternative Site Testing), it's not advisable to do this without professional input so it's best that you speak with your nurse first.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Here's a tip for you, just prick the outside of your fingers and not on the pads and don't prick either your thumb or fore finger just do your last 3 fingers and rotate on each one, hope that makes sense.

How do you know how to manage your diabetes though if you only test a couple of times a day ? Have you asked about doing a DAFNE course ?

Testing to me is critical in knowing how to manage my diabetes, also for taking correction doses.

Reactions: 2 people

lizzie29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can find quite a lot of fingerpricks that are much gentler. Do you have your current fingerpricker on a low enough setting? I do mine 7 times usually. Hope this helps!

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I test at LEAST 8 times a day. I use the top ( from side to side) of my fingers just above the nail and it is much less painful. Paramedics etc are always surprised when I insist on doing my own and see where I do it. I get good drops of blood too! NEVER do the pads as they are constantly used daily for everything and that is why they get so sore. Imagine constantly putting pressure on your injection site every day....it would get sore! Also there are more nerve endings in the pads. When I was under Kings College Hospital they tested on the earlobe. Not easy to do yourself though. Some metres can use AT areas but you still need finger tests at times to get overall accuracy.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a tip for you, just prick the outside of your fingers and not on the pads and don't prick either your thumb or fore finger just do your last 3 fingers and rotate on each one, hope that makes sense.

How do you know how to manage your diabetes though if you only test a couple of times a day ? Have you asked about doing a DAFNE course ?

Testing to me is critical in knowing how to manage my diabetes, also for taking correction doses.
Hi Juicy
I don't know how long you have been T1 but you may find that you have to start using the other digits in the future. I was never actually told not to use the pads of my fingers when I was first diagnosed in 1983 and they are sore and feel a bit lumpy from constant blood testing. However just using the sides of your fingers and only using 6 fingers for a regular tester will eventually lead to scarring and tenderness. I have probably not helped myself because in the past I used to use the same needle for weeks at a time for blood testing but even now when I test 4 times a day with a fresh needle my fingers are still damaged.
Just one of the fun parts of being T1. My fingers are covered in those little black and red spots.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
How often does everyone do their blood tests? I do mine twice a day but often i forget and i hate doing them injections are fine just the finger tests i hate are there any other areas that you can test your blood?

I do mine 5 - 6 times per day. Couldn't manage doing it only twice per day especially with the rapid insulin injections, it would like doing in the blind and potentially dangerous.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was told when diagnosed to use the outside of the fingers and avoid the pads. The other thing is to always remember you have two hands. We tend to forget when we're right handed that we can trigger the lancet device with the left hand on a right finger!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Juicy
I don't know how long you have been T1 but you may find that you have to start using the other digits in the future. I was never actually told not to use the pads of my fingers when I was first diagnosed in 1983 and they are sore and feel a bit lumpy from constant blood testing. However just using the sides of your fingers and only using 6 fingers for a regular tester will eventually lead to scarring and tenderness. I have probably not helped myself because in the past I used to use the same needle for weeks at a time for blood testing but even now when I test 4 times a day with a fresh needle my fingers are still damaged.
Just one of the fun parts of being T1. My fingers are covered in those little black and red spots.

Hi I was given this advice last year at DAFNE and now always rotate around these 3 fingers, doing up to 6 tests a day no problem, also depends on the meter and lancet you use, I use a one touch lancet which doesn't penetrate the skin too deeply so just draws a drop for each test on my insulinx meter which again doesn't require much blood per test strip. I only get sore fingers if I use the same finger most times which can happen, otherwise it's a much easier way of managing your testing.

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test on average 7 times a day. Try to rotate fingers, change the needles, switch hands... but still it is a pain in the ass.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I test on average 7 times a day. Try to rotate fingers, change the needles, switch hands... but still it is a pain in the ass.
I am not a T1, but when I test the lancet goes no-where near my ass:woot::cool:

Reactions: 7 people

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
I use the side and top of my fingers....not the pads. Below the nail is best, not painful and gets plenty of blood

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I test at the very least 4 times a day sometimes more depending. On the DAFNE course I was taught to prick your finger on the sides rather than the pads. Since doing that my fingers are not sore anymore.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
testing 10+ at the moment, fingers are ok I just alternate the sites

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I test at the minimum 8 times a day and usually more and rotate around all my fingers and thumbs and have done for many years without problems.

Jane!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test when I wake up, before meals & 2 hours after, before bed & extra tests in between depending on how I'm feeling & if I've eaten differently or am exercising. And prick the sides of my fingers.