1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood Too Thick To Measure?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Stillfighting, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you dropping too much on the stick? Is it a faulty batch of test strips?

2. Stillfighting

Stillfighting Type 2 · Member

Hi - I don’t think so.... I’ve tried varying it. I’ve been extra careful. It was fine for a couple of readings, this week, then I had a ‘gloopy’ one again? Weird. Been to doctors who seemed fairly chilled based on a blood test in April where my ‘haematocrit’ (?) level was normal..... He’s also referred me for another round of tests to remeasure etc. So I feel a bit more relieved than I was as I’m being checked up and he was adamant nothing could be wrong as all was ok in April. ( hope he is right!).

3. brassyblonde900

brassyblonde900 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fasting, and or eating low carb, makes the kidneys excrete excess water, if you don't supplement with extra sodium, to replace the one lost due to the excess water loss, it has the tendency to make the blood thicker. It also causes potassium deficiency.

4. RosieLKH

RosieLKH Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had a problem with a tub of 25 test strips. Every other one wouldn't work and came up with an error reading saying it hadn't had enough blood, even when it seemed like a huge blob was on the end of the strip. When I opened new tub, the problem disappeared.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook