Bloodsugar rise after taking insulin but didn't eat yet

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waking rise as said or could be your body realising it has insulin it doesn't need and dumping glucose to cover you. If I read you right and you took the insulin and then went to shower?

Yeah, but I'm also noticing that after I eat, my values are twice as high as they are with the same meal and same amount of insulin in the afternoon or evening. Exercising in the AM also consistently gives me high readings, but never in the PM. Everything seems to be pointing at the dawn phenomenon from what I've been reading. My insulin production has gone down dramatically the past 7 months so it's possible I never really noticed until I got off the gliclazide and started MDI, which is why it's caught me off guard so much now!

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Yeah, but I'm also noticing that after I eat, my values are twice as high as they are with the same meal and same amount of insulin in the afternoon or evening. Exercising in the AM also consistently gives me high readings, but never in the PM. Everything seems to be pointing at the dawn phenomenon from what I've been reading. My insulin production has gone down dramatically the past 7 months so it's possible I never really noticed until I got off the gliclazide and started MDI, which is why it's caught me off guard so much now!

That makes sense. It seems like your body is in flux right now settling on, well on which sort of diabetes you're gonna fit into overall I guess. Best thing is to record everything you find. Exercise us always gonna be a weird creature. You could talk to every person on here and get a different response on what running a hundred meters will do a good level. With that extra info I can only say record everything, keep in touch with your team and react as you can. You may see that rise go if you eat as soon as you get up as others said.

Reactions: DaftThoughts

simple_simon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Health care staff not having a clue about carbohydrates, lots of other stuff
I've had type 1 for 40+ years and have noticed the same rise in blood sugars after a shower. The time of day for the shower makes no difference, a shower results in a rise in blood sugar levels for me, nowt to do with a waking rise. The only reasoning I have come up with is the hot shower resulting in my body releasing some stored glucose into my blood. The only solution I have come up with is a bit more insulin :)

Reactions: DaftThoughts