Blurry vision and feeling bit shaky

mayoburt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been doing the low carb diet for a week now have felt so good but yesterday vision was a bit blurry and again today I got up with a headache this morning an feel a bit shaky anyone else experienced this. I am T2

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
What is your blood glucose? Might be worth looking at BP as well if you have the where with all. What meds are you taking? It could be things unrelated to diabetes and unrelated to diet. I have had those symptoms but another symptom that I had at the same time made it obvious what the problem was and nothing to do with diabetes or diet.

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing your blood glucose is really important - blurry vision is apparently quite a common side effect of rapidly reducing your BG so if your results are substantially down then there is probably nothing to worry about and it will likely settle in a few days.

Headaches and shakes might be keto flu - are you drinking enough water? Sometimes in the early days you need some extra salt as well; many people drink Bovril or broth once a day until the symptoms pass

Reactions: SockFiddler

KimWheeler

Someone said the blurry vision may be because of the fluid retained in the eye when BG high. Mine has settled as my BG coming down. But it was scary for a while.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same thing a long time ago when starting doing Atkins - I I found that I went very wobbly trying to run up stairs. Back then I just added a little more of the low carb foods - after diagnosis I went very low carb and found I needed a few grapes to stop the sensations of going hypo, until my brain accepted that the days of high blood glucose were past.
You might experiment with both - particularly if you have a BG meter so you can see how things are changing.
Adding in a bit more salt or taking a multi vitamin and mineral tablet could help with the transition too - a lot of electrolytes are lost early on, along with water, which causes the blurry vision - that also passes once things are more normal.