Body Composition Scales Recommendation ?

the-noob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Anyone did a proper test of body composition scales (i.e. vs a DEX scan or Bod Pod) or is using one ?
On the product page (Amazon, etc) there are mixed reviews or the positive ones are like " I have it for a week and I love the colour 5*!! "

I sort of expect people here to be more interested in the technical part of things (accuracy, mostly consistent readings, etc)

Any recommendations ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got an Omron BF508 seem ok does weight, body fat , visceral fat and BMI. Reasonable price (about 50 quid)
No idea on accuracy as I only have this one. It did say I was 6 pounds heavier than my very old tanita scales did.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't done DEX or Bod Pod, but did quite a lot of reading around before choosing the Omron BF511. If I recall correctly, they do pretty much as @bulkbiker 's 508, except up to 4 separate profiles and memory.

I could be very wrong on the differences, as I'm going from memory. I do find them to be excellent for my needs.

the-noob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the input, I ended up getting Tanita BC601 mainly for the data export functionality but planning to get a DEX/Body Pod session and bring it with me in a backpack :D

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the input, I ended up getting Tanita BC601 mainly for the data export functionality but planning to get a DEX/Body Pod session and bring it with me in a backpack :D

Gosh - That's double the pocket money. Do you think the extra cash is worth it?

When do you plan the Dex/Body Pod? If I were going to do that, I might just go with the scales alone until my next HbA1c and see what that returned. If my numbers (scale data/HbA1c/BP /weight) were all trim, I might save my cash. If I hadn't quite got to a point where I was achieving the numbers I wanted, I'd then go and see what the VF looked like.

The annoying thing about this condition is everyone's Personal Fat Threshold is indeed personal to them. Some folks appear to lose their diabetes whilst still carrying a lot of weight, and other never get there because they have other factors in play, meaning low levels of visceral fat don't have the same impact.

Currently, and for a good couple of years, my visceral fat has been at 3. I have no idea what it was at diagnosis as I wasn't weighed on diagnosis and I didn't weigh myself a single time for 4 months post-diagnosis. I then picked up my Omrom scales another few weeks later.

Obviously it's up to you how you choose to approach this, I'm just sayong nobody knows what your magic number is, or if you have one at all.

Really good luck with it all.

the-noob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[URL='http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/andbreathe.88961/' said:
AndBreathe[/URL]]
Gosh - That's double the pocket money. Do you think the extra cash is worth it?
I'm a bit nuts with logging, I know that human memory tends to get easily skewed and numbers don't lie (interpreting them... another story :D).
Even with weekly weighting it will be soon tedious to write down 5 readings so the ability to export might worth the extra, in time. Plus you might say I did it for science, comparing products.

I might wait a few weeks/months with the DEX/Pod to gain some history, after all I know that I need to lose some fat and that should be visible in the readings (even if the % is different from reality)