Bohemian Polypharmacy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Considering Dr. Kendricks reputation for justified scepticism I think he might have thought it clever and amusing and quite possibly true.

Reactions: 2 people

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It may be different in the US (where I presume the video originated) but my own experience in the UK is that doctors prescribe a low dose to start off with and only increase it if the starter dose is not effective: the opposite scenario to that depicted in the video.

Janiept

Expert
This is very interesting as I was having a conversation with a friend earlier about his blood pressure which is currently 190/124. His GP's words 'you are a walking time bomb'
His blood pressure has gone up and up since they started adding extra meds to his daily cocktail which now includes 4 different meds to bring down his blood pressure and which are obviously not working.
I don't know whether to send him a link for this or not, as he might just ditch the lot. :oops:

Reactions: 3 people

annew

Seen it all too often!! Not the video - the mountains of meds prescribed to many older people. Then when they're admitted to hospital most is stopped except the really essential they go home and it all starts again.

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hehe its very clever :)

This is very interesting as I was having a conversation with a friend earlier about his blood pressure which is currently 190/124. His GP's words 'you are a walking time bomb'
His blood pressure has gone up and up since they started adding extra meds to his daily cocktail which now includes 4 different meds to bring down his blood pressure and which are obviously not working.
I don't know whether to send him a link for this or not, as he might just ditch the lot. :oops:

the doc at the night of my dx said the exact same thing to me, my bp was 250/150 ewww

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
When I saw this video last night I was shocked by it's stark, hard hitting message, so much so that I lay awake for hours thinking about all the pills I've taken during the last twenty odd years. Pills to counteract side effects, more pills to counteract side effects of pills given to counteract side effects... ad id. The list is endless and I am furious that I was a) so naive as to believe they were necessary and b) that (some) supposedly trusted doctors seem to prescribe willy nilly. Ironically, I worked for the NHS, I trusted the NHS. What an eejit!
Coincidentally, this afternoon I was chatting to a neighbour who I hadn't seen for a few weeks. She said she'd been ill and was now on several drugs, including a statin. As her cholesterol level is well within range, she'd queried the statin only to be told "it's now policy, you will stay on them for life". We then had a little chat about statins.......

Reactions: 5 people

Janiept

Expert
When I saw this video last night I was shocked by it's stark, hard hitting message, so much so that I lay awake for hours thinking about all the pills I've taken during the last twenty odd years. Pills to counteract side effects, more pills to counteract side effects of pills given to counteract side effects... ad id. The list is endless and I am furious that I was a) so naive as to believe they were necessary and b) that (some) supposedly trusted doctors seem to prescribe willy nilly. Ironically, I worked for the NHS, I trusted the NHS. What an eejit!
Coincidentally, this afternoon I was chatting to a neighbour who I hadn't seen for a few weeks. She said she'd been ill and was now on several drugs, including a statin. As her cholesterol level is well within range, she'd queried the statin only to be told "it's now policy, you will stay on them for life". We then had a little chat about statins.......

Yes of course she is on statins.Her GP gets paid extra for every patient who takes them Grrrrr.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Better to read the Cochrane reviews, not all medication is bad, nor all good. It's 'mentioned' in the video and most people consider it to be an independent organisation whose purpose is to conduct systematic reviews of treatments.
http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane-reviews
Read Ben Goldacre: he's sceptical but a believer in science based medicine.. Here's the intro to his book
http://www.badscience.net/2012/09/heres-the-intro-to-my-new-book/
Update chapter from his book Bad Pharma:
http://www.badscience.net/2013/12/f...ned-next-update-chapter-from-bad-pharma-2013/
Have a look at the mortality rates over the years before condemning medicine and the NHS as the result of a catchy song.
(and don't believe everything that blog has to say, including about me )

Edit because lost half post for some reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Yes of course she is on statins.Her GP gets paid extra for every patient who takes them Grrrrr.

Yep, and she's a lot younger than I so he stands to make a nice few pennies from her lifetime use.... however our "little chat" may change that :cool:

Reactions: 8 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Better to read the Cochrane reviews, not all medication is bad, nor all good. It's 'mentioned' in the video and most people consider it to be an independent organisation whose purpose is to conduct systematic reviews of treatments.
Read Ben Goldacre: he's sceptical but not unrealistic. Update chapter from his book Bad Pharma:
http://www.badscience.net/2013/12/f...ned-next-update-chapter-from-bad-pharma-2013/
Have a look at the mortality rates over the years before condemning medicine and the NHS as the result of a catchy song.
(and don't believe everything that blog has to say, including about me )

As is the way of human nature, we tend to believe what we find sits best with us, in my case from personal experience, most of which I choose not to relate here. I listen to all sides in a debate but at the end of the day will make my own decisions... A "catchy song" as you called it has no bearing on that choice...

I agree not all meds are bad but I know just how many I've taken to counteract side effects and I ask myself how many of the original drugs are vital to my existence, prescribed because they are sexy or the prescriber gets a kick back.

(My mother ended her life in a nursing home where she was so heavily doped that on more than one occasion I found her head down in her lunch. The reason given "She was wandering and it's the only way we can control her") Is that an appropriate use of medication or vital to her existence? Not in my book.

As for "that blog" I'm sure I'm more than capable of deciding for myself how much I believe. The links to various papers, research, recipes etc are invaluable to those of us who choose the LCHF way of life. As for comments about you and others...... All publicity is good publicity, isn't it?
There, that's all I have to say. Have a good day.

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
He's very keen to take the metformin on offer, so clearly not quite to keen to practice what he preaches to others.
Oh Douglas! (big sigh!) Trust you to have a dig at Eddie, but this thread isn't about him so why not start one of your own and dig away to your hearts content.
Has anyone said ALL meds are bad? I certainly haven't. I just happen to agree that drugs are frequently over prescribed, a huge money spinner off the back of joe public for the pharmaceutical industry and a source of confusion as we try to decide what's best for us rather than what is offered or even sometimes pushed!

Reactions: 9 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sigh. as you indeed say.

You chose to quote something off that hypercritical idiots postings, so it's as good here as anywhere.

If you object to meds, and think they're over prescribed, don't take them.
Easy.(Even Edward could manage that)
Don't be sanctimonious though, and take them yourself while telling others not to, and trying to say it's wasting your money and joe publics by the evil pharmaceutical companies. Vote with your feet, not other peoples.

Even bigger sigh!!, with two exclamation marks.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Beachbag....a very entertaining clip. Four years ago (aged 52) I was on 6 medications for high blood pressure and heart problems. Then I read that 2 of the blood pressure tablets taken together could cause my heart problem (atrial fibrillation). I was determined to get off of ALL medications..what is the point of needing 4 short stays in hospital simply because you are taking a cocktail of drugs?

Since then I have also been diagnosed as diabetic. However, my blood pressure is much improved and I am down to 2 drugs daily. I am trying my upmost to come off of all drugs, but am not quite ready to do so. I have a little more 'work' to do first. Thanks for re-motivating me though...onwards.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

To be fair, the video is not about not taking medicines. At the beginning it states, "Polypharmacy is not how many medications you are on, but taking more medicines than are clinically indicated."

Thanks for posting, Beachbag.

Reactions: 9 people

annew

To be fair, the video is not about not taking medicines. At the beginning it states, "Polypharmacy is not how many medications you are on, but taking more medicines than are clinically indicated."
/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thank you Avocado Sevenfold

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So, what we're all saying is correctly prescribed medicines of the right doses are good,?
And we should be taking them when required?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, in a perfect world medicines would only be correctly prescribed. However the reality is that they are often prescribed without a second thought as to how they might adversely affect the patient. I for one trusted my doctor......until things went wrong with the medication. Now every time I visit him I am asked if I have ever considered taking statins. I answer with a polite 'no thank you'.

You live and you learn

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for posting, Beachbag.

That's the way I viewed the video, the discontinuation study was an eye opener 4 to 5 medications could be stopped without detriment to the patients health.