Bolus action

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I need a better understanding of how a bolus dose reduces my bg and how carbs affects this. A bit generic I know - here's what prompted my question: Last night I gave a bolus dose for carbs plus a correction for my bg which was 11.1 at the time. This was about 2 hours before I went to bed. When I tested before bed I had dropped to 6.3 and my pump said there was still just over 2 units active. I know the carbs were correct as I measured them out. Here's my mistake (and my lack of understanding). Because I was already 6.3 and still had insulin on board I had a couple of biscuits without bolusing and went to bed. This was obviously not needed as this morning by bg was 14. I didn't hypo in the night (no sweat-covered sheets or anything).

How does this work - surely my bg would have kept dropping with insulin on board, or does it sometimes just keep you stable, even though it had already dropped my bg to within range?

This hasn't come out as clear as I wanted - do you follow my drift?

iHs

I use the Combo Lucie and if my bg comes back to target with some of a correction still showing up as Active insulin (IOB), I use the bolus wizard to enter some carb and then offset that against the bolus showing up for the carb
Another thought is, are you sure your carb ratio is correct for late night eating and are your basal rates still correct.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App