Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Finally my third Sebastian Barry novel arrived this morning. I shall put aside my history book on Warwick to read 'The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty'. I shall be going to bed early!

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just finished Rosie by Lesley Pearse, now onto Stolen by the same author.

I think I'm off to look at the library online see what else I can reserve :)

Reactions: Guzzler

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do people still use their local library? I have an e-reader and about 20,000 books on my harddrive but still prefer to go to the library and use a book. I do still buy books too
I use our library all the time, I begrudge buying a book when I can borrow it. Our library sometimes ask their regulars to take a mystery book & I have read some books I would never had chosen e.g. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka which led me to read Two Caravans by the same author.

I am currently reading my second Nadine Dorries (the MP) novel The Children of Lovely Lane, easy reading which is great as I mostly read during my hour's lunch break at work. I have just also packed for my holiday Paul O'Grady's Open the Cage, Murphy - part of his autobiography.

The book I think I enjoyed the most was A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute which I read many years ago after watching the 1981 (I was 16) TV series starring Bryan Brown

One of the most thought provoking books I read was Empty Cradles by Margaret Humphreys, a true story about the child migrants sent to mostly Australia by the British government, Catholic church & Barnardos, many of whom were physically & sexually abused. It was later made into a film called Oranges & Sunshine.

There are so many I have read I could go on for hours :)

Reactions: Guzzler

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use our library all the time, I begrudge buying a book when I can borrow it. Our library sometimes ask their regulars to take a mystery book & I have read some books I would never had chosen e.g. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka which led me to read Two Caravans by the same author.

I am currently reading my second Nadine Dorries (the MP) novel The Children of Lovely Lane, easy reading which is great as I mostly read during my hour's lunch break at work. I have just also packed for my holiday Paul O'Grady's Open the Cage, Murphy - part of his autobiography.

The book I think I enjoyed the most was A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute which I read many years ago after watching the 1981 (I was 16) TV series starring Bryan Brown

One of the most thought provoking books I read was Empty Cradles by Margaret Humphreys, a true story about the child migrants sent to mostly Australia by the British government, Catholic church & Barnardos, many of whom were physically & sexually abused. It was later made into a film called Oranges & Sunshine.

There are so many I have read I could go on for hours :)

I do read a lot too. Strangely enough I've also read a story about being sent to Australia however this was an adult to the penal colony. Great stuff.

I'm also a big fan of the library. I used to have my own collection of about 500 books stored on shelves in what should have been storage cupboards in the house. When we bought the e-readers we donated the books to a woman who was raising funds for a pet charity. And I've also read books and then passed them on to either my daughter or my niece. I now probably possess about 50 books but still use the library to save pennies for other things. I did buy the Diana Gabaldon series out of money I had been given for Christmas.

Reactions: heh

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've started reading the new Ken Follett book - A Column of Fire. It's part of his Kingsbridge trilogy and is based around the Tudor times.

Also got some books by an author called Santa Montefiore about the Deverill family. Interesting

Ixarix

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Started the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

C

chris lowe

Started the Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Excellent book & the recent tv series was pretty faithful to the story. The only other book I've read by her is Hagseed which is a take/twist on Shakespeare's The Tempest. Quite enjoyed it,

Reactions: Fairygodmother

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading "Autumn, all the cats return" by Phillippe Georget, at the moment. It's a murder mystery, set in Perpignan in the South of France. The author is a French TV Journalist, so it's a translation, but a good one, and it's also one of a series so I'm going to have to search out the others, as I'm really enjoying it.

Reactions: chris lowe

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I have read a lot of Agatha Christie and my recommended book by her does not feature Poirot or Marple

The book is called The Pale Horse and as usual has lots of twists involved to keep you guessing

I have read it 3 times

I also like books about Plantagenet & Tudor history

The last book I read was a book about Richard III

C

chris lowe

I have read a lot of Agatha Christie and my recommended book by her does not feature Poirot or Marple

The book is called The Pale Horse and as usual has lots of twists involved to keep you guessing

I have read it 3 times

I also like books about Plantagenet & Tudor history

The last book I read was a book about Richard III

I like that period of history too, though sometimes it gets confusing with all the families plotting & who is related to who & their place in the intrigues

Reactions: Cumberland

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The Plantagenet's are, perhaps, my favourite mediaeval dynasty. Described by one author as 'The Real Game of Thrones'. Honestly, you couldn't make that stuff up.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Earlier today I read the introduction to Malcolm Kendrick's 'The Great Cholesterol Con'. Not a lot of books make me laugh out loud but this did.

Speaking of history and of laughing out loud, the most entertaining and laugh a minute history book I ever read was called '1000 Years of Annoying the French' the author of which escapes me for the moment but I would highly recommend it. One caveat, the follow on book is not worth a carrot, don't bother.

Reactions: Pipp

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just finished a Tania Carver book I must say I enjoyed reading it and am looking for another now to read, think I like Psychological thrillers although loved to read Horror a few years ago

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started reading the new Ken Follett book - A Column of Fire. It's part of his Kingsbridge trilogy and is based around the Tudor times.

Also got some books by an author called Santa Montefiore about the Deverill family. Interesting
I liked his Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follet, that is.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I liked his Pillars of the Earth. Ken Follet, that is.

Yes very good book followed by World Without End and then Column of Fire

Pillars of the Earth and World without end were also made into tv series

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes very good book followed by World Without End and then Column of Fire

Pillars of the Earth and World without end were also made into tv series
Much prefer reading, so will check those out, thanks. Intend to make Bette use of library.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just finished a Tania Carver book I must say I enjoyed reading it and am looking for another now to read, think I like Psychological thrillers although loved to read Horror a few years ago
Never really appealed to me, but perhaps need to widen my interests.

Reactions: chris lowe

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can recommend Alone in Berlin, by Hans Fallada. About a couple independently carrying out activities of resistance to Nazi party.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can recommend Alone in Berlin, by Hans Fallada. About a couple independently carrying out activities of resistance to Nazi party.

might give that one a look for the e-reader. our library is a little primitive lol

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just reserved this at the library

Reactions: Pipp