Borderline Type 2

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a second blood test for diabetes type as i am border line i have been told to make a life style change loose weigth etc i have always had relitivly high blood pressure and as i undertand it as i have been going along this is significant in diabetes please can some tell me why high pressure is important from a diabeets pooint of view Regards R

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My understanding is that it is only loosely related. If you have poor blood sugar control then the blood can get a bit sticky and blood pressure control may be more relevant. Other than that with reasonable blood sugar control I'm not aware of any link with blood pressure? Both need appropriate but separate measure and control where needed

Reactions: 2 people

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Have your doctors done a Glucose tolerance test (GTT)? This will confirm whether or not you are diabetic. They take fasting bloods, get you to drink a fixed amount of lucazade or something similar and take bloods again two hours after.

As for high blood pressure and diabetes, I don't know much other than its a regular check up for all diabetics. All I can say is that diabetes affects the whole body. The excess glucose in the body damages the blood vessels and nerves as well as some of the organs if uncontrolled and that in turn causes other problems such as a high risk of stroke, heart attack, retinopathy, etc. if they can pin something on diabetes they will!

Having said all that, the correct lifestyle changes do make a positive impact and that in turn will help you keep good control.

There are a lot of folk on this forum who are very helpful and knowledgeable about our illness and I'm sure they will be able to offer some guidance.

Best wishes :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Rich H and welcome to the forum.

Diabetes and high blood pressure is doubling your risk of health problems. This article explains it to you.

Diabetes and high blood pressure
About 25% of people with Type 1 diabetes and 80% of people with Type 2 diabetes have high blood pressure.

Having diabetes raises your risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other health problems. Having high blood pressure also raises this risk. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure together, this raises your risk of health problems even more.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody/Diabetes

Even if you do not have diabetes there are risks from high blood pressure.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. My understanding is that it is only loosely related. If you have poor blood sugar control then the blood can get a bit sticky and blood pressure control may be more relevant. Other than that with reasonable blood sugar control I'm not aware of any link with blood pressure? Both need appropriate but separate measure and control where needed
Thank you for replying

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Have your doctors done a Glucose tolerance test (GTT)? This will confirm whether or not you are diabetic. They take fasting bloods, get you to drink a fixed amount of lucazade or something similar and take bloods again two hours after.

As for high blood pressure and diabetes, I don't know much other than its a regular check up for all diabetics. All I can say is that diabetes affects the whole body. The excess glucose in the body damages the blood vessels and nerves as well as some of the organs if uncontrolled and that in turn causes other problems such as a high risk of stroke, heart attack, retinopathy, etc. if they can pin something on diabetes they will!

Having said all that, the correct lifestyle changes do make a positive impact and that in turn will help you keep good control.

There are a lot of folk on this forum who are very helpful and knowledgeable about our illness and I'm sure they will be able to offer some guidance.

Best wishes :)
Thank you for that

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rich H and welcome to the forum.

Diabetes and high blood pressure is doubling your risk of health problems. This article explains it to you.

Diabetes and high blood pressure
About 25% of people with Type 1 diabetes and 80% of people with Type 2 diabetes have high blood pressure.

Having diabetes raises your risk of heart disease, stroke, kidney disease and other health problems. Having high blood pressure also raises this risk. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure together, this raises your risk of health problems even more.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody/Diabetes

Even if you do not have diabetes there are risks from high blood pressure.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody
Thanks appreciate it

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal experience has been that I was at the high end of normal bp (for my age) for several years.

But after a couple on months of eating a low carb diet, my bp dropped to the bottom edge of normal (for my age).

I was delighted at this unexpected benefit. :D

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Well its offical border line type two diabtetes i have done the life style change and lost 7 kilos according to my weigh in at my local GP surgery and have made changes to my eating habits so i now buy whole meal bread, grill instead of fry and try not to eat things like crips to often.
But i am still being told i have to see diabetic nurse for life style changes i know there is still time and i am not diabetic as yet but with my job its hard to eat properly and regulary so ia m concerned as to what the long term affects mite be while iam visisiting these varoius helpers and delaying the ineviterble as were.
I have had two blood test now and both have come back high blood sugar even after life style changes so a bit frustrated now and not sure if am being treated properly, would any body have some advice or has any body gone the similar route

Regards Richard

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest Richard I think these "helpers" will simply help you to continue on the downward path. It's their job under the NICE guidelines. Many people on this forum have to deal with awkward work hours and rushed meals and still manage to eat a low-carb,high-fat diet which with exercise keeps the spikes at bay.
What are these lifestyle changes you've undertaken? Well done if you've managed to lose weight. How much more do you need to lose? Wholemeal bread won't help your blood sugar. Nor will grillijng instead of frying. That's NICE talking. Have a look at our recipes and what we eat on the forum.
Don't be downhearted -- you can do it!

KELI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
How amenable is your GP? If you request a proper glucose tolerance test, this would give a more definitive picture. A fasting blood test or HbA1c do not give the full picture, one gives a snapshot the other a 3 month average. A GGT shows them whether or not your body can deal with the fixed amount of glucose drink they give you and your blood glucose reading before and two hours after the drink.