Brand new, fresh diabetic!

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,

Like the title says, I'm newly diagnosed after being admitted into hospital with suspected DKA on Monday.

I had no idea I was diabetic, and had CRAZY high blood sugar (43!) and HbA1c (105!)...

Still don't know for sure if I'm type 1 or type 2, but I'm getting treated as type 1 for the time being. So, I'm taking insulin and monitoring my bg at home. Still very high levels, but they're coming down slowly.

Still getting used to everything, so any advice for these early days would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mr J

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

Like the title says, I'm newly diagnosed after being admitted into hospital with suspected DKA on Monday.

I had no idea I was diabetic, and had CRAZY high blood sugar (43!) and HbA1c (105!)...

Still don't know for sure if I'm type 1 or type 2, but I'm getting treated as type 1 for the time being. So, I'm taking insulin and monitoring my bg at home. Still very high levels, but they're coming down slowly.

Still getting used to everything, so any advice for these early days would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mr J

Hope this helps
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,
Mr J
Firstly don't let it get you down. It's a terrible shock when you are first diagnosed, but stress will raise your blood glucose still further. There are so many people in this group who have been where you are now who have taken positive action and have got their own BG under control. Spend some time and research the benefits of diet and exercise. There is a lot you can do yourself to reduce your need for medication and control your BG levels.

Jb1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. New myself.
Bg 27 Hba1c 90. On 2 metformin daily and 4 weeks later being really strict I’m down to 6.5.
You will find your mood changes for the better when your sugars come down. I personally feel a lot happier. Hope all goes well and remember to be strict to yourself you will feel better for it in the long run

Reactions: mo53

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the welcome! I'm trying not to stress about it too much!

I know it's not the end of the world, and as long as I take care of myself, I'll be good!

Reactions: SueJB

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
First and most important remember to drink lots of water, as it reduces the risk of DKA.

It will take time for the results of the blood tests to show if you are Type1, even then about 25% of people with Type1 don't test positive. Therefore it can take some time for the doctors to decide what type you have.

As to diet, clearly avoid anything with sugar in it, also avoid bread and anything made with flour. Otherwise, eat food you like until you have a better idea of what is going on. "Low Carb" is the best option if it turns out you have Type2, and can also be a good option for Type1, but learning about "low carb" is not a problem for today.

Jb1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good advice. I have given up bread completely. As ringi says, work out what works for you

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ringi, I drink a lot of water anyway, but it was so much worse during the buildup to the hospital trip. Its definitely something I'm keeping on top of!

Thanks for the advice about diet I had a mishap with pizza yesterday... Thats a mistake I won't repeat!

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Mr_J
Also, if you are overweight, lose it. It make a whopping difference.
Glenn

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mr_J . Welcome to the forum.
Best advice at moment is to listen and take advice from your diabetic team.
Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are very different conditions and until you have a definitive diagnosis it's difficult to give you the right advice.
It's good your levels are coming down, best they come down gradually. Going from high levels to low levels in a short space of time will not be comfortable.
Only advice at moment, and this applies to both T1 and T2 is, diabetes is a marathon not a sprint.
Good luck and I hope you get a definitive diagnosis soon.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mr_J welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say hello and that you have joined a brilliant forum full of knowledgeable, supportive people. If you are planning on losing weight, as you mentioned, there is a thread weekly weighin Friday. It has a very encouraging group of people.

Reactions: therower

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi folks,

Thanks in advance,
Mr J
Hello from me too. I found and still find the forum so helpful and the people are magic. Ask questions even if you think they're silly, they aren't. Someone here will have an answer:)

Reactions: Margaretjamieson

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again. For the warm welcome and advice! I've only been on here a day or so, but you all seem like good eggs so far!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I quite new to the forum myself, but was in the same boat as you twenty years ago this year. It’s a bit of a shock when it lands in your lap, innit? There’ll be some big adjustments, and some stuff to get used to, but ask all the questions you can think of, and you’ll get on top of it :)

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP it wasn't as big a surprise as you might think! I'd been feeling rough for a few days immediately before the hospital trip, but I had about two weeks of mega thirst and ALL of the trips to the porcelain firing range! That prompted a bit of Internet research and a trip to the doctors with the suspicion that I may be diabetic.
What I wasn't expecting was the "you need to hold to hospital right the f now!" call from the doctor, and the bg so high that the hospital's meters wouldn't give a reading other than high!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum, @Mr_J . Brand new, fresh diabetics are the sweetest, so it's a pleasure having you here! I hope you'll get your sugars down and stable shortly. You've already had a lot of advice on here, so I'll only advice you to read around, ask away and be patient with yourself if you don't get it right immediately and when you make stupid mistakes.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP it wasn't as big a surprise as you might think! I'd been feeling rough for a few days immediately before the hospital trip, but I had about two weeks of mega thirst and ALL of the trips to the porcelain firing range! That prompted a bit of Internet research and a trip to the doctors with the suspicion that I may be diabetic.
What I wasn't expecting was the "you need to hold to hospital right the f now!" call from the doctor, and the bg so high that the hospital's meters wouldn't give a reading other than high!
You did better than me, then. I went to the doctor with a cough following gastric flu and came out with diabetes :meh: