Brand new, fresh diabetic!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP Oh, I bet that was a kick in the giggle bits!
I had a sneaking suspicion but didn’t want to admit to it in case I was right. I’d remembered learning about it in A Level Biology and had a sneaking suspicion I’d end up with it (for no reason, no family history or anything - more of a “just my luck” thing). Eight years later, there I was :rolleyes:

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP it wasn't as big a surprise as you might think! I'd been feeling rough for a few days immediately before the hospital trip, but I had about two weeks of mega thirst and ALL of the trips to the porcelain firing range! That prompted a bit of Internet research and a trip to the doctors with the suspicion that I may be diabetic.
What I wasn't expecting was the "you need to hold to hospital right the f now!" call from the doctor, and the bg so high that the hospital's meters wouldn't give a reading other than high!

Hi I’m 5 weeks on from the exact same trip as you!
This forum is a huge help. My advice is to rest for a few weeks. And think how incredibly lucky you are.
Did you lose a lot of weight? If so, take it easy and don’t be afraid to eat well. Build yourself back up. See you around!

Mr_J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mountaintom weirdly, I hadn't cottoned on to the weight loss until after I came out of hospital, despite the fact that my jeans were falling down all the time and one of my rings kept falling off! I guess I just didn't put two and two together! Trouble is, I wasn't watching my weight at all, so I've got no idea how much I've lost.
Cheers for the advice!

Reactions: mountaintom

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I had a similar experience to you last September.
I had a blood test after going to the Doctors for other reasons and got called in to see a nurse to get the result - HbA1c 101
She tested urine and packed me off to hospital straight away due to ketone levels. Despite me feeling fine!
Hospital sent me home later that evening after a few tests that (I think) showed blood ketone levels OK.
Had all the symptoms (thirst, peeing a lot, and had lost weight) but didnt recognise what they meant.
The dietary advice from the Docs is not helpful. If I had not joined this forum, I would still be living with high BG levels and, whats worse is, I wouldn't know about it. The people on here have a knowledge based on experience of what does work and I am immensely grateful for the help to be had here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jb1965