Bread Alternatives

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. And just by choosing to eat the crispbakes and crackers instead of bread, I'm reducing the stodgy carbs a great deal and to be honest I like them and enjoy them a lot more.
If you like crackers have you tried Ryvita Rye Cakes they are puffed like rice cakes but made with rye and are wholegrain. They are 4.5gms a cake and they come in plain and slightly salted

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi why not try coconut muffins, either cheesy or cheese and bacon. They are very low carb and taste great. I think you may find some recipies on this site. Otherwise have a look at the tiana web site, they have loads of good recipies. The flour does look exoensive but it does go along way. The muffins work out at less than 4g carbs per muffin.
There are bread recipies using cocnut flour , Unfortunately I've never made the bread mix.
I buy coconut flour in Lidl much cheaper than Tiana and some other makes. I do not do baking though so I just use it as a thickener for homemade soup and casseroles

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm ok with Morrisons high protein bread which is low carb. Also, I ordered lo-dough when I went on holiday as I knew I'd struggle with daily picnics having just salad every day and I also knew there was only a tiny shop on the island. Wasn't brill as a bread, but amazing as a pizza, and as French bread. Dunno how it affected my levels as I wasn't testing then, but I have just ordered some more - mainly for having the occasional pizza (it's one of the few foods that all three of us in our family actually like - and it's nice to be able to have the same meal together!!)

Reactions: zauberflote

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking of going back to ryvita instead of bread what ceral is the best to have
From my point of view, none.
Cereals are high carb foods.
I have managed to make a bread using all sorts of seeds and low carb things added to my normal bread mix, then make small loaves and freeze them, and then ration them to one a week. I was making a batch every month, but then cut back to every 6 weeks and have not made any for some time. It is still too high carb.
I might make some before Christmas, and try making rolls, just to see if I can cope with one once in a while.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I have found my bready love affair to be over after a few months on low carb. Amazes me! I never ate much anyway, as too high in sodium for me. There is a Wasa cracker with very little added sodium, but as I started LC and finger sticking and still ate them, I decided I probably shouldn’t. Ditto hot oatmeal from rolled oats, sadly. I found a good seed “pudding” (texturewise, not dessert) over on Diatribe. Turns out I’m the last to know about it :roll: . Chia seed with enough liquid to make a pudding consistency. It’s low GI and if I put loads of cinnamon in, very tasty and extraordinarily filling. Start by eating only a little! So your gut gets used to it, like beans. I also learned about La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas, which I eat rolled up around peanut butter. A very good portable lunch. Then a basic bread recipe from the food and nutrition section of this forum. It involves flax and almond meals, and then you can go to town with nuts seeds spices/herbs. Makes really good toast, and so filling. Bon appetit!

Reactions: Fit725