Bread Substitute in a Sandwich

Beadygirl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have been following a Low-Carb diet mostly for about 20 years and a great substitute for bread in making a sandwich is to use Cos lettuce leaves. Flatten them in your fingers and lay a slice of ham of whatever filling you like best and fold over. If taking to work in a lunch box then wrap in cling film first. Hope you find this useful.

Reactions: jillsymes66

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Hi Beadygirl - Here in California a popular burger drive thru is called In N Out Burger, They sell a lettuce wrap burger without a bun. YUM! It is not on the menu. You order it by name. "Protein Style burger. "

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Hi Beadygirl - Here in California a popular burger drive thru is called In N Out Burger, They sell a lettuce wrap burger without a bun. YUM! It is not on the menu. You order it by name. "Protein Style burger. "
Even better, ask for a Flying Dutchman.

Molts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been following a Low-Carb diet mostly for about 20 years and a great substitute for bread in making a sandwich is to use Cos lettuce leaves. Flatten them in your fingers and lay a slice of ham of whatever filling you like best and fold over. If taking to work in a lunch box then wrap in cling film first. Hope you find this useful.
A nice bit of dijon mustard mayo added works wonders for me also ;0)

Binni

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
What is “Cos” lettuce?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep I use Romaine lettuce for fajita wraps too

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Hello Beadygirl - I discovered this before I read your post - try it with crisp raw cabbage leaves . The ones which have a slightly peppery taste - no idea what to call them but they are round , ie in the shape of a ball, and coloured pale green.A little sturdier than lettuce so you can pack more fillings inside without the whole thing falling apart in your hands.

Reactions: SamJB