Bread worse than cake?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have had 2 special days here this week.
One was a birthday where I had a single piece of a lemon curd sponge
The second was the day hubby actually cooked so of course his efforts had to be tried (and appreciated and praised) That was one small flatbread made with sr flour and yoghurt

Each was eaten as part of an otherwise low carb meal.

The cake caused my 2 hours after reading to go to 8.9 (from 6.1)
The flatbread caused my 2 hours after to go to 11.3 (from 6.0)

How is this possible? The cake had proper sugar and proper lemon curd and was homemade so I would have thought it carbier.

Ideas please

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lot will depend on portion size - did you calculate the g of carbs in each item?
But other factors will be the carb, fat and protein content of the rest of the meal, because they affect the speed of digestion.
There is no guarantee that your 2hr prick tests caught the bg peak of either meal.
Hope that helps.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks it does. Someone else had cooked the cake and it didn't rise. It tasted awful but the filling was scrummy.
I used the carb amounts from the nearest items I could find in carb manager..

The flatbread was the first bread to pass my mouth in over 2 months. Think my body went into shock!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And for some yes grains are worse than old fashioned sugar.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A couple of thoughts:

1) It could be that the second "cheat" had more impact because it was the second one, and it would not have mattered which one of those items was eaten secondly. In other words, some residual effects from the cake, plus the bread lead to a bigger spike than the cake.

2) Sugar as it turns out is an interesting one. The fructose portion doesn't always become glucose in your blood, but instead turns into fat in your liver. This can appear gentler if you only look at the meter, but it's the fatty-liver that's mostly behind the insulin resistance in the first place, so in a way, the meter lies.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
for me, it depends on the flour used, and the presence of sugar.

Home made stone ground organic flour bread works best for me.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat bread, usually 10 - 13g carbs per slice, small bagels and Pizza with little effect on my BS but tortillas will raise my BS up to 10.00 which is high for me; although after 3 hours it’s usually back down to between 7& 8 and not back to normal until 4 hours later.

M

Member496333

Sucrose is only 50% glucose. Grains are worse in that regard. The unseen impact of sucrose is its 50% fructose component that directly impacts the liver and increases insulin resistance.