1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bread!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Sean-W, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Sean-W

Sean-W Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Hovis Nimble Bread is ok? Not a fan of white bread so I'm looking to find something acceptable

2. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

It's not bad at 9.2g carbs per slice, there's not many better than that. Burgen Soya & Linseed is about 11g per slice, Liv-life and Hi-Lo are 4-5g per slice but they are tiny size. There's always Lidl High Protein Rolls which I think are lovely and are around 10g carbs per roll.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sean-W

Sean-W Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are these prepacked or fresh?

4. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The Lidl rolls are freshly baked in store and thus individually available at 29p each. The others mentioned are prepacked sliced

5. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Defining ok is the trick.
    Best to test before and after eating to see how it affects your BG's, by itself and then as part of a meal. Takes time to figure out what you can and might not do.
    Best

6. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I tried half a toasted Lidl roll just this lunch-time with avocado, spinach and mackerel, and went from 4.8 to 5.2 after 2 hours (I did also have yogurt and nuts, but good to see a shop bought bread can work).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Weight Watchers Malted Danish Sliced has about 9g carbs per slice and I quite like it, and it does not particularly spike me but as has been said you need to test for your self to know if OK for you.

8. asparagusp

asparagusp · Guest

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. ChrisSamsDad

ChrisSamsDad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's pretty awful tasting though, and makes lousy toast. I'm also a fan of Lidl protein rolls. I can eat 2 without going over 7. Burgen is great as toast and really tasty. They do a small size one too, which is about 2/3rds the carbs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook