Breadcrumbs alternative???

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm going to make some spicy Thai meatballs but don't want to use breadcrumbs to bind them. Anyone got any suggestions for an alternative?
please

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd use almond meal or crushed pork rinds. Parmesan cheese mixed in is another option although more suitable for Italian meatballs.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I use raw egg to bind meat balls and after shaping I leave them in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes before sealing them. Tip, wet your hands before shaping the mince.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to join the thread to pick up tips, the ones above I'm loving.
Ground almonds work pretty well for me on fish and bashed flat pork.
Feeling peckish already.
:)

Reactions: Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paging @maglil55 - she does a crumb involving various seeds. Can’t find the link right now.
I have a couple. The first I prefer on battered out meat - chicken , veal etc. That's the one you know @Goonergal - the mix of ground pork scratching, parmesan and chopped parsley. I sometimes add lemon zest to it depending on what I'm cooking.
The one you're thinking about is my new discovery 1/3 almond flour, 1/3 ground flax meal, 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds, about the same of parmesan and in both cases season with salt and pepper.
Important to "flour" whatever you are cooking with almond flour before doing the egg then crumb bit. If you are using ground almonds run it through a grinder to mill it a bit more. Then dip in the almond flour, then beaten egg then the crumb. If you want a thicker coating refrigerate for a bit then repeat egg & crumb. Refridgerating is a good idea anyway to firm up the crumb.
The second mix gives a really crisp coating.
Other additions I've put in is hot paprika or cayenne.

Reactions: 1spuds and PatsyB

Hotpepper20000

Even before I started LCHF I never used bread crumbs when making meat balls.
Just combine seasoning in the mince meat at form the balls.
A small amout of coconut flour would work if the meat is really moist and with a Thai dish would work with the flavour profile.

Reactions: Serena51

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Learnt a lot from reading all the ideas. I used a whole egg and almond flour in the spicy balls and it worked. Next time though I'm going to just put in half an egg as I had to put in too much flour

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to make some spicy Thai meatballs but don't want to use breadcrumbs to bind them. Anyone got any suggestions for an alternative?
please

Lo dough bread. Now it is expensive but it lasts in the cupboard for 6 months, 2 to 3 carbs per piece and 38 calories. Quite often used as a pizza base (good) but if you crumble it, it has the consistency of breadcrumbs.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never heard of using breadcrumbs in or for coating meat balls. I would just use the mince with seasoning and add spices if they are Thai ones they should not be to wet.. An alternative is to skin good meat content sausages and roll into meat balls you can still add extra spice if you want to

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you want a crumb coating for something, I use an egg wash and finely grated halloumi cheese, fried in a pan. Goes a bit soggy if you try to bake it.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have never heard of using breadcrumbs in or for coating meat balls. I would just use the mince with seasoning and add spices if they are Thai ones they should not be to wet.. An alternative is to skin good meat content sausages and roll into meat balls you can still add extra spice if you want to
I was following a recipe @Pinkorchid but didn't use to use breadcrumbs but thought I'd give it a go. No need really as the pork mince was moist enough that I didn't really need the egg either

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I use raw egg to bind meat balls and after shaping I leave them in the fridge to firm up for 20 minutes before sealing them. Tip, wet your hands before shaping the mince.
I do the same, and do not miss the bread crumbs

Reactions: 1spuds and Guzzler

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
If you are really desperate you could always use half of Morrisons protein bread, just half a slice would only be 4 carbs. My husband eats this bread, not because he has sugar problems, but liked the idea of the bread being low carb.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
please
I've heard that chia seeds are good for binding but I've never tried them myself. You can get them from Holland & Barrett and other health food shops.

peter_brom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
please

use fine grated raw potato like in greek meat balls leave skin on the starch will help to bind the meat ball just let the mix stand a few min, this will also keep them soft and lighter than using b/crumbs

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
use fine grated raw potato like in greek meat balls leave skin on the starch will help to bind the meat ball just let the mix stand a few min, this will also keep them soft and lighter than using b/crumbs
Thanks but I was trying to reduce the carb input, spuds and flour are roughly the same