Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Seriously? I must confess that I am beginning to wonder if you are pulling our legs.

Look at the carb content of the foods you are eating.
It is all laid out on the back of the packets.
Then test your blood glucose before eating and 2 hours later.

This way you will learn for yourself the damage you are doing to your body, every time you eat processed carbs.
NO, I'm not pulling anyone's leg or messing around. I'm having to deal with two polarised views; the NHS XPERT course and this forum, please no offensive comments like that. I'm testing after every meal I am looking at the packets. I miss my foods that got me diabetic, I dont drink nor smoke, something nice to eat is all I have. Q.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent advice thank you, I'd like to try granola as I'm worried that knocking out carbs will give me toilet issues as my fibre will drop. There are loads of granola on Amazon to choose from but which one, the dried fruit one looks good. I'm wondering if I could try to see how I tolerate it, what y'all think? Quentin
We’ve been pretty clear what we think I’m afraid. We think cereals are by and large a bad idea for a type 2. If you want to try it by all means go ahead but test carefully before after an hour and again after 2hrs. You may change your mind as a result.

Fibre can be gained from vegetables, psyllium husk, chia seeds and other sources. Increasing water is also needed on low carb so that helps too. For sure some do struggle a little, but many don’t.

Personally I’d be more worried about my present and real blood glucose levels than my potential for generally easily treatable constipation that’s unlikely to make me seriously ill.

Reactions: Q007

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it all about moderation?? I have chocolate and cakes and crisps on the weekend and back on it come Monday. What do you say? Thanks Q.
No moderation got you to 101
So every weekend you make diabetes worse then try to fix it weekdays with outdated advice?
OK that's a very interesting read, but I've not been watching fats as I was and my triglycerides have shot up - doubled. I just can't seem to win.
Is slashing my ankles quicker with gravity an all?
high carbs push triglycerides up more than anything else. See the connections here?

Listening to xpert hasn’t worked. Do some reading and give what we say a real try, and you’ll see the difference for yourself and won’t have to believe us.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
We’ve been pretty clear what we think I’m afraid. We think cereals are by and large a bad idea for a type 2. If you want to try it by all means go ahead but test carefully before after an hour and again after 2hrs. You may change your mind as a result.

Fibre can be gained from vegetables, psyllium husk, chia seeds and other sources. Increasing water is also needed on low carb so that helps too. For sure some do struggle a little, but many don’t.

Personally I’d be more worried about my present and real blood glucose levels than my potential for generally easily treatable constipation that’s unlikely to make me seriously ill.
I am taking all advice in, I was hoping to find someone who tolerated cereal, that's all as we're all different. Never mind I'll just crack on. Truly grateful for all advice, kind regards to all. Quentin

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The thing is you have been following the 'carbs are okay' way of eating and look where it got you.

If you want to control your diabetes then you have to assume that you are intolerant to carbs. If you are intolerant to any kind of food then why eat it and harm yourself.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NO, I'm not pulling anyone's leg or messing around. I'm having to deal with two polarised views; the NHS XPERT course and this forum, please no offensive comments like that. I'm testing after every meal I am looking at the packets. I miss my foods that got me diabetic, I dont drink nor smoke, something nice to eat is all I have. Q.

So do you think that even the NHS would be encouraging you to eat cakes, chocolate and crisps at the weekend, with the recent HbA1c you have just had?

I agree that it is a huge adjustment in thinking, but you have been given consistent advice from everyone on this thread - restrict your carbs to within levels your body can tolerate. Check the carb content in foods. Test your blood glucose to discover what works for you.

Everyone who has posted on this thread, including myself, has done so in order to help you.
We have all been where you are now, and we are all trying to give you the tools you need to get control of you blood glucose, your diabetes and ultimately your health.

We have also all survived the transition to a new, low carb way of eating, and I think many will agree that once you get the hang of it, low carb food can be delicious, varied and very, very enjoyable.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
No moderation got you to 101
So every weekend you make diabetes worse then try to fix it weekdays with outdated advice?

high carbs push triglycerides up more than anything else. See the connections here?

Listening to xpert hasn’t worked. Do some reading and give what we say a real try, and you’ll see the difference for yourself and won’t have to believe us.
Check this then, my diabetic nurse told me not to test, "you'll become paranoid, get back on the XPERT ways and we'll have you back down to 40 again" Can't anyone walk a yard in my shoes? Even my Diabetic GP said it's all about balance, a night out on treats won't harm you.. It's all so confusing and I am, so confused.
But I'm going to go for cutting down and monitoring carb and use the testing to see what spikes and how my numbers go.
Bye all, thanks for the advice. Good health to all. Quentin xx

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
So do you think that even the NHS would be encouraging you to eat cakes, chocolate and crisps at the weekend, with the recent HbA1c you have just had?

I agree that it is a huge adjustment in thinking, but you have been given consistent advice from everyone on this thread - restrict your carbs to within levels your body can tolerate. Check the carb content in foods. Test your blood glucose to discover what works for you.

Everyone who has posted on this thread, including myself, has done so in order to help you.
We have all been where you are now, and we are all trying to give you the tools you need to get control of you blood glucose, your diabetes and ultimately your health.

We have also all survived the transition to a new, low carb way of eating, and I think many will agree that once you get the hang of it, low carb food can be delicious, varied and very, very enjoyable.
Thank you very much for the kind encouragement, I could do with a bowlful of that. Kind wishes, Quentin.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check this then, my diabetic nurse told me not to test, "you'll become paranoid, get back on the XPERT ways and we'll have you back down to 40 again" Can't anyone walk a yard in my shoes? Even my Diabetic GP said it's all about balance, a night out on treats won't harm you.. It's all so confusing and I am, so confused.
But I'm going to go for cutting down and monitoring carb and use the testing to see what spikes and how my numbers go.
With regard to the diabetes and poor advice many here have walked in your shoes. We just chose to try the alternative and found it worked far far better. That’s why we advise it. The NHS do support it now, your nurse and gp are not up to date.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on and if you have questions about how to low carb or what results mean.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

They are wrong, simple as that.

Cutting the carbs is a good move and yes, do test. You're running blind if you don't test.

Good luck!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
We all have had things like that happen. I had a diabetes nurse once tell me i would die if I didn't eat carbs because my brain would stop. That was about thirty seconds after i had told her i had been on a keto (extremely low carb) diet for two years.

You don't have to believe us - although this is a free forum so what do us members have to gain by giving you good free advice - just experiment on yourself and you will see how carbs affect you. Then think about what those raised glucose levels are doing to your extremities, eyes and internal organs. Google pictures if you don't want to believe us.

Carbs or eyesight - i didn't find that a hard choice. But, as we say in this firum, we are all different.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Glad I got the advice on how long after a meal is 2 hours not 1 as I've been doing. Also I didn't know a raise of 2 after a meal is an indicator that I'm tolerant to it. Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
The thing is you have been following the 'carbs are okay' way of eating and look where it got you.

If you want to control your diabetes then you have to assume that you are intolerant to carbs. If you are intolerant to any kind of food then why eat it and harm yourself.
Do you test?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

I was also trained to follow and eat by the GI index, is that a good idea? Is that the same as low carb? Its a page in the book they gave us after the course. Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
With regard to the diabetes and poor advice many here have walked in your shoes. We just chose to try the alternative and found it worked far far better. That’s why we advise it. The NHS do support it now, your nurse and gp are not up to date.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on and if you have questions about how to low carb or what results mean.
Very grateful, I'll hold you to that if I can. I have a carer, who's my estranged wife. She into microwave meals for me and got fed up of shopping which is how I ended up on the cakes and chocolate and crisps to survive. I got her a place on the XPERT course and she bought into it, but it phased out.
I can't cook nor look after myself so if anyone looking for a gig as carer, I'm too young for all this.Q.

M

Member496333

The thing is, how many of these people are diabetic vs. the number of people in here? The advice of one diabetic who has reversed their condition is worth more than that of a hundred doctors and nurses combined. They are merely parroting the accepted paradigm, which we already know is complete bunkum. Ask your doctor/nurse how many people have reversed their diabetes following his/her advice. I’m going to be forthright and predict a big fat zero.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
The thing is, how many of these people are diabetic vs. the number of people in here? The advice of one diabetic who has reversed their condition is worth more than that of a hundred doctors and nurses. They are merely parroting the accepted paradigm, which we already know is complete bunkum. Ask your doctor/nurse how many people have reversed their diabetes following his/her advice. I’m going to be forthright and predict a big fat zero.
Um, I did. My Hba1C dropped to 40 which is remission. Please don't attack other peoples views, I've been treated and advised by the NHS why wouldn't I believe them? Its only since I've rejoined this forum - where I thought I could get another view, a different perspective. It's like I've used another 4 letter word here by mentioning Carb. Thanks to this site site I'm now fully aware that the spike in Hba1C was what I ate and not an illness (I hope), I've listened here and started testing, I've made an appointment with my diabetic nurse which is this week where I'll take the carb word to the door of the NHS and feedback. I've been accused here of leg pulling, I'm just posting what I've been taught and I have to say, the XPERT course got my Hba1C down to 40 with two stone weight drop. It's why I've asked for readers to walk a yard in my shoes, its so hard. But I have just indicated in this post how I'm following the advice given here and I'm now better informed.

I've read other posts on here where one food spikes where another can get away with tolerant readings. It's not an easy science is it. I have a masters but this is far more difficult as there is such a polarized audience to listen to. Hope everyone having a good day, Qx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask @Q007 how long ago was it that you completed the Xpert course.
I have heard Dr Trudi Deakin (the Xpert founder) talk a couple of times and she's pretty on the ball with Low Carb so I find it surprising that you got the poor dietary advice that they gave out.

Status
Not open for further replies.