Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Depending on where you started from xpert may have been an improvement to your original diet. Did you lose weight as well and drop hb1ac? That may have helped regardless of what you were eating. Initially and for a while anyway. Then the continued eating of carbs probably has made your insulin resistance worse since so a more recent lapse into sugary as well as carb laden foods has caused it to go up again. What sort of hb1ac have you had since the 40 until the recent 101 and over what period of time?
I went from 40 to 52 then 101, is 101 that bad? Quentin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One meal will not restore normality - you need to unload all the stored glucose in your liver, in your cells, give your metabolism time to recover from having to deal with everything being out of kilter for what has probably been quite some time.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon, thank you for the reply, I'm switching to advice from this site. But, what is keto? Would you know why my BG is 10+ after night fast and 10.7 after scrambled eggs and bacon breakfast with squeezed lemon juice, I just dont get it. Kind regards Quentin.
Keto is in its simplest form very low carb, typically classed as under 20g carbs per day. It is the process of getting your body using fats for fuel instead of glucose. Ie being in ketosis. It may occur at higher levels than 20g, possibly up to around 50g is but 20g is quoted as by that level almost everyone will have achieved it. Some versions veto certain foods regardless of carbs eg processed and seed oils.

The high fasting sugar is indicative of high insulin resistance. Fasting sugars are often the last reading of the day to come into line and will gradually fall as you metaphorically drain the stored glucose out of your body to better levels.

The small rise of 0.7 mmol after breakfast is ideal (presumably not tested immediately it around the 90 mins to 2 hrs mark). Keep going like that and your hb1ac will come down and so will your morning reading. After cereal it would have been a much much greater rise.

Reactions: ReversingT2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When diagnosed my Hba1c was 91 and I was told that I was a very bad diabetic - but I do get an echo of Life of Brian whenever I think about that.
If you have been following a diet high in starches that could easily raise your blood glucose and Hba1c to unfortunate levels.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing is, traditional NHS thinking is that:
1. Type 2 is progressive and will eventually deteriorate, leading to increasing medication and ultimately insulin.
2. We all (diabetic or not) need carbs ‘for energy’.

You followed the advice about carbs, didn’t you? And gosh, eventually your diabetes progressed and your HbA1c rose, setting you inexorably on course for increased medication.

You were treading the expected path.

Whereas:
Lowering your carbs => no longer overloading your body with carby starch and sugars => halting your ‘progression’ and possibly even turning it around => a better, healthier, probably longer life.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went from 40 to 52 then 101, is 101 that bad? Quentin
Well it’s not good. But you should be able to get it back down with some changes. It does show that your old way of managing it wasn’t working 40-52 even before the blowout on sugar more recently. What was the time gap between these readings?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Keto is in its simplest form very low carb, typically classed as under 20g carbs per day. It is the process of getting your body using fats for fuel instead of glucose. Ie being in ketosis. It may occur at higher levels than 20g, possibly up to around 50g is but 20g is quoted as by that level almost everyone will have achieved it. Some versions veto certain foods regardless of carbs eg processed and seed oils.

The high fasting sugar is indicative of high insulin resistance. Fasting sugars are often the last reading of the day to come into line and will gradually fall as you metaphorically drain the stored glucose out of your body to better levels.

The small rise of 0.7 mmol after breakfast is ideal (presumably not tested immediately it around the 90 mins to 2 hrs mark). Keep going like that and your hb1ac will come down and so will your morning reading. After cereal it would have been a much much greater rise.
Excellent advice thank you, I'd like to try granola as I'm worried that knocking out carbs will give me toilet issues as my fibre will drop. There are loads of granola on Amazon to choose from but which one, the dried fruit one looks good. I'm wondering if I could try to see how I tolerate it, what y'all think? Quentin

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
4 month, as the nurse could see "I was going to runaway" boy was she right. I've only just had all the news last week so its 90 days isn't it before they can test my Hba1C again? Is 101 really stroke range as they told me?. Thank you for your help, hoping you are well Quentin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c of 101 and you are considering dried fruit granola? :facepalm:
If you are concerned about fibre intake eat more fibre - not carbs - a teaspoon of psyllium husks in a salad - please - not high carb foods.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent advice thank you, I'd like to try granola as I'm worried that knocking out carbs will give me toilet issues as my fibre will drop. There are loads of granola on Amazon to choose from but which one, the dried fruit one looks good. I'm wondering if I could try to see how I tolerate it, what y'all think? Quentin

Use ‘low carb’ in the search criteria.
Look at the carb content of each one.
Avoid dried fruit since dried fruit is full of fruit sugar.
Choose the lowest carb.

Test your blood glucose before and 2 hours after eating the advised portion size.

Then you will know what that portion size will do to your blood glucose.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Why not make your own? You can be sure what it contains and with plenty of seeds in it you can make up for the lack of fibre from cereals.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dried fruit is just another form of sugar.

You have two choices here, feed your diabetes with carbs and get worse or just stop with the carbs. The need for fibre is based on poor science, if you are eating well and including fats in your diet you'll be fine.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm lucky enough to be able to tolerate porridge with some berries, or thick greek yogurt and berries x

Reactions: Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I thought fruit had natural sugars and was OK for us? I have a whole lemon squeezed with some ice which is half my vitamin C input, is that OK then?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Isn't it all about moderation?? I have chocolate and cakes and crisps on the weekend and back on it come Monday. What do you say? Thanks Q.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought fruit had natural sugars and was OK for us? I have a whole lemon squeezed with some ice which is half my vitamin C input, is that OK then?

Look up the carb content of a couple of spoonfuls of lemon juice compared with the carbs in berries, or an apple, or an orange.

All the info is online.
Just google ‘carb content of.....’ and you will soon see how carby most fruit is, and why it is ok to have lemon juice but not big bowls of tropical fruit salad.

Then google dried fruit.

You will soon learn how to identify low carb foods for yourself.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
OK that's a very interesting read, but I've not been watching fats as I was and my triglycerides have shot up - doubled. I just can't seem to win.
Is slashing my ankles quicker with gravity an all?

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I'm lucky enough to be able to tolerate porridge with some berries, or thick greek yogurt and berries x
Thanks encouraged me to give some form of cereal a go, the GP told me we're all different, thank you, Q.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it all about moderation?? I have chocolate and cakes and crisps on the weekend and back on it come Monday. What do you say? Thanks Q.

Seriously? I must confess that I am beginning to wonder if you are pulling our legs.

Look at the carb content of the foods you are eating.
It is all laid out on the back of the packets.
Then test your blood glucose before eating and 2 hours later.

This way you will learn for yourself the damage you are doing to your body, every time you eat processed carbs. And you will understand the impact of weekend carby treats.

Status
Not open for further replies.