Breakfast Cereal

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I loved to eat cinnamon graham's (now called curiously cinnamon) before my type 1 diagnosis 3 weeks ago. But it's basically just a bowl of pure sugar. So I should probably use the rest of my current box and then say farewell.
Have found a paleo honey and pecan grain free granola in the meantime. Only 10g carb per 42g portion. Only thing is its quite expensive at over £5 a box. But it is very yummy!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can mix a few in with another less sweet cereal @katmcd :)

I have cereal every day and an advance bolus works well for,it. I like granola, muesli, porridge,,etc

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
. I just can't get them right but In the last 5 months I have started to take insulin with Weetabix on the go which is more like a milkshake but because it's 27g of carbs I can carb count and it has really work. I have noticed this then affect my lunch as it helps me be in range at lunch.

Not seen that drink before, but many of us type 1's do find that eating breakfast helps keep our bg levels in check throughout the morning.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told porridge is good for diabetics, but the confusing part is that its full of sugar and carbs. Will this not spike you and overdose you with sugar?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many people do eat porridge. @noblehead is a big fan.

People often add things to it eg seeds and nuts. Getting jumbo oats rather than processed instant oats helps too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been told porridge is good for diabetics, but the confusing part is that its full of sugar and carbs. Will this not spike you and overdose you with sugar?

It could cause a spike so is worth trying and testing before and 2 hours after to see what it does to your levels.
Just because others can have it without effect doesn't mean you can.. we are all unique. As with most foods its worth testing before and after to see what they do to your sugars.

Reactions: Jc3131

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There's no added sugar to traditional porridge oats but the carbs do turn to glucose eventually.

As to whether they are good for diabetics, oats are nutritious and have many health benefits. There is a Dr on the forum who has oats in his dietary recommendations, his type 2 patients follow a lowish carb diet and by all accounts they have had great success, but only by testing your bg levels will you know if your body can handle oats or not.

As @azure says, if you do try oats don't go for the highly processed oats like Ready Brek as they are known to spike bg levels, if possible opt for Rough-Cut/Steel-Cut/Irish or Jumbo Oats and maybe add some fat to the meal (traditional Greek Yogurt is ideal) as this will dampen down the spike, I eat porridge most days and have done for several years, however I'm a type 1 and by bolusing ahead I can keep the spikes down to a minimum.

Reactions: Jc3131 and azure

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes

I am new to diabetes and this site but am managing porridge and enjoying it as part of my weekday breakfast
I have 30grams plus 15grams of chia seeds each morning made with 100ml full fat milk and water
Plus cinnamon and Brazil nuts
With a boiled egg on the side .

Reactions: Jc3131

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am new to diabetes and this site but am managing porridge and enjoying it as part of my weekday breakfast
I have 30grams plus 15grams of chia seeds each morning made with 100ml full fat milk and water
Plus cinnamon and Brazil nuts
With a boiled egg on the side .
Have you tested to see what effect it has on your blood sugars?

Reactions: Looseboy

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Have you tested to see what effect it has on your blood sugars?

@bulkbiker yes thanks I am a fairly regular with the testing at the moment.

I have read that many on here don't have porridge because of the spike.

I have checked a few times both 1hr and 2hr and never numbers of concern.

I tend to be fairly active in the morning with a visit to the gym most days or a walk. By the time I travel to work and finish in the gym it is around 2.5 hrs and my post exercise readings have been between 4.8-5.5

Last post porridge reading on the hot day this week was 5.7 before , 1hr 6.4 and 2 hr 5.9 . This was not post gym as I was work from home so just a 30 minute walk post breakfast.

Yesterday was 5.4 pre brekkie and 4.8 post exercise (2.5hrs after)

So at this time I feel comfortable with it as an option but will continue to monitor.

Lost another 2lbs this week so over 2st lost in the 2 months since diagnosis.

Tried a 16:8 fast today and probably tomorrow where I plan to skip breakfast on the weekends to see how it goes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker yes thanks I am a fairly regular with the testing at the moment.

I have read that many on here don't have porridge because of the spike.

I have checked a few times both 1hr and 2hr and never numbers of concern.

I tend to be fairly active in the morning with a visit to the gym most days or a walk. By the time I travel to work and finish in the gym it is around 2.5 hrs and my post exercise readings have been between 4.8-5.5

Last post porridge reading on the hot day this week was 5.7 before , 1hr 6.4 and 2 hr 5.9 . This was not post gym as I was work from home so just a 30 minute walk post breakfast.

Yesterday was 5.4 pre brekkie and 4.8 post exercise (2.5hrs after)

So at this time I feel comfortable with it as an option but will continue to monitor.

Lost another 2lbs this week so over 2st lost in the 2 months since diagnosis.

Tried a 16:8 fast today and probably tomorrow where I plan to skip breakfast on the weekends to see how it goes.

Looks like you can manage those extra carbs.. great news.. and good you are monitoring. Excellent news on weight loss too very well done.

Reactions: Looseboy