Breakfast cereal

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But why do them them less often? I do regard food as entertainment and eating nice food as pleasure but not as reward. I probably didn’t make it clear that my cooking IS low carb. I find that planning and creating meals does help me to control what I eat.
Why do it less often?.. intermittent fasting another very strong therapy especially when allied with low carb feasting.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used this as a jumping off point and regularly make a granola type thing based on this, just vary the seeds and nuts for whatever I have (with an eye on relative carb values). I often add some turmeric because I like the taste, colour and it’s alleged to help glucose control. I usually have it with Greek yoghurt but have used it and baked it into bars or melts dark chocolate over it to make a bark. https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

Reactions: Rachox

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My usual work day breakfast is flaxseed with full fat plain Greek yogurt, check the nutritional information for carb content. Keeps me full and is super quick.
if you're a meat eater what about bacon and eggs baked in oven on muffin to. Night before then reheat in morning

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is I have them for my lunch

Hi Stevefranky, I'm going to use an expression I hate but you really need to think outside of the (cereal) box!!!! You can have a chicken leg for breakfast if you want! x

Reactions: Rachox

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But the thing is not everyone feels like that, including me. I love food and I love cooking. Cooking has been a source of great comfort to me during the pandemic (and I have remained in remission). That being said I wouldn’t eat Weetabix. I’m now a fan of berries and Greek yoghurt, or just the yoghurt, for breakfast. Surprisingly satisfying for what seems like a light meal.

Of course they don't but it's just another suggestion to show it really doesn't matter what you eat as such provided it is doing what you want it to do, in this case keeping your glucose levels down.

Stevefranky

Thanks for all the advice sorry I didnt reply to you all earlier had to go out. I am definitely going to try some of the advice I definitely know where to come for advice next time I have a problem

Reactions: KK123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb scotch eggs, made the days or so before needed, and possibly frozen as a batch or kept in the fridge?
https://stepawayfromthecarbs.com/low-carb-scotch-eggs/

Pigs in blankets? cocktail sausages? kedgeree with cauli rice? asparagus wrapped in ham slices? chicken wings? Our Friday farmers market sells pork crackling and pork scratchings. With a bit of planning and a modicum of home cooking, you can ring the changes effectively. The berries + yoghurt is one that many here use instead of cereal

I would suggest a Victorian cookery book is a source of ideas, since the staff prepared the breakfast the night before and did a cold buffet in the morning even in the posh houses and guest houses And this was in the days before fridges and freezers. Anybody remember 'Futtocks End'?

Last but not least, although not a keto LC source, I find Aldi carries some single portion ready meals that just need a quick warmup in a microwave that might appeal? I use them sometimes and they do not freak my sugar levels out, but test with a meter to see if suitable for you. Take about 5 mins from chilled, and the advantage is that they are ccooked and eaten from the included tray that saves washing up after
What are the Aldi meals that are ok? I am always looking for something quick and easy ...

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I believe @Rachox makes low carb granola, which might be a good cereal substitute. Hopefully she’ll see this and give you the recipe!
There are a few recipes for low carb or Grain Free Granola on the internet. I make a version similar to @Rachox.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I used this as a jumping off point and regularly make a granola type thing based on this, just vary the seeds and nuts for whatever I have (with an eye on relative carb values). I often add some turmeric because I like the taste, colour and it’s alleged to help glucose control. I usually have it with Greek yoghurt but have used it and baked it into bars or melts dark chocolate over it to make a bark. https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/
Have also added a little sweetener and butter to make cheesecake base...

Reactions: HSSS

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For times when you are super busy Sainsburys sell a grain free granola by The Paleo Company in two flavours which work out for a 50g bowl between 7-8g carbs with Blue top milk shouldnt be too awful...but not for everyday!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What are the Aldi meals that are ok? I am always looking for something quick and easy ...
You need to be aware that I am still using some medication in my control regime so will probably be more carb tolerant as a result.
That said I find there are some single-person meals in their cook/chill section that I can tolerate quite well. My local store has a good supply of mainly Indian dishes such as King Prawn Bhuna, or Lamb Rogan Josh. They come without rice, but go well with cauli rice instead. As an example the last time I had the Prawn Bhuna, my PRE/ 2hrPP/ 4hrPP readings were 5.2/5/5.3 mmol/l.

I have also from the same cook/chill section but different brand: tried their spinach and ricotta cannelloni, and their shepherd's pie. These are larger portions, and so I used to share one with my wife to reduce portion size. A whole one in one sitting
would IMO break the dam and flood my bloodstream with sugar. But I tolerate half portion ok.

However, I have since found that the cheap ASDA frozen foods have a reasonable selection that again I use as half portions with some veggies. I get Cottage Pie, Shepherd's Pie, Fish Pie, even chop suey with noodles was surprisingly Sympatico. (that one returned results of 6.9/7.2/5.3 for the whole portion, on top of a poor start from lunch) But ASDA meals do tend to be higher carb than the Aldi ones.

These are all lazybones quick fixes in the microwave. Cook from frozen. No washing up, simples.

Check the labels

Reactions: Mrs T 123