Breakfast for early T1 starters

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greek yoghurt is made with milk. Cow's milk in the US, goat's milk in some places. I don't think it's real high glycemic though. Regular milk will treat a low real quick.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Greek yoghurt is low GI, and yes, yoghurt is generally made from milk :)

The OP doesn't want to treat a hypo - not sure where that came from.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
with hassle with lunch means I start lunch with with 11 or 12 mmol

Do you bolus for your 10am snack?

What do your levels look like at 8am after porridge at 6am? (Only asking to exclude breakfast being the cause of the lunchtime "hassle")

Are you just keen to avoid snacking altogether or is it the 11-12 mmol post snack spike you want to avoid?

Cos if you don't mind the snacking, it's a pretty decent gap between 6-12/11:30, it might be worth looking at making sure your snack is properly covered by a bolus, pre bolusing for it, or changing you snack - what is it you're snacking on?

Reactions: mariposa84

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I often eat porridge for breakfast once I arrive at work after my commute. In an ideal world, I would eat eggs for breakfast everyday as know they're the best at keeping me full up til lunchtime but there are days when I can't face eating them so soon after waking up at 5.45/6 so I often eat them at weekends when I eat breakfast at a more civilised hour!! My current favourite, now weather is slightly warmer, is Greek yoghurt and berries which is delicious and as the others have said is filling. Hope it works for you ☺

Reactions: CHIET1

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi catapillar both actually I am almost 57 and don't want to gain weight and the 10/11 mmol. I recently was treated with avelox antibiotic which is not suitable for diabetics and the road back to good values has been long and bumpy. I still have the spikes at 11 am and midday

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Up just after 6am most days (sometimes earlier), usually berries nuts and double cream/yoghurt with a cup of tea. Quick run with the dogs, then off to work.

If I get hungry (rarely), I always have either pork scratchings or some cheese at work, or even a coffee with double cream, but don't usually get lunch until around 12.30-1.30ish, as I'm not hungry enough until then.

I found that if I had a carby breakfast, I'd always be hungry by 10am. With my lchf I no longer get those cravings, so snacking is a thing of the past unless I've been doing a lot of physical stuff and then may need a top-up as above.

maria030660

Dislikes
hi Nidge, a good point about a carby breakfast and then go hungry, sounds like me. I made a change this morning so i had full fat greek yoghurt with some mandarin parts in it and so far so good.

maria030660

Dislikes
Everyone thanks for their input, I had the Greek yoghurt with fresh fruit for breakfast and my bs was 7.8 before lunch!

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Hello everyone,

I would love to hear if there are any fellow T1's that start work early in the morning. I get up at 545 and start work at 7. My lunch break is at 1130. As i get up very early i usually have a normal portion of porridge and then head off. But around 1000 i feel really hungry. problem is when i eat something then i get hassle with lunch. Overall it look i need more food in the morning that at any time of the day. I am not a large dinner eater. Do some of you use cereal? Just a sandwich? I dont have much time in the morning to prepare complicated stuff. All suggestions are welcome ;)

Look forward hearing from you
Hi, I usually surface around 3.30/4.00 am, to start work at 6.30ish (20 min walk to work), and due to my work regime of physical cleaning I must admit to the horror of most that I have a bowl of Bran flakes, quarter chopped banana, almond milk and cinnamon sprinkled on top and x2 slices of Burgen bread toasted with Pro-active margarine and green tea). This keeps my glucose levels OK until around 9.00 am when I have a sugar-free yoghurt and home-made wholemeal/apple/walnut scone with half slice LO Cheese. When I'm ready to leave 1 and a half hours later my BGs are either the same or lower than before I ate something (rough example 6.1 pre-breakfast; 4.2 pre-9o'clock; 5.6ish max. on leaving job depending on activity involved). I understand everyone differs but this works for me in confidence that I'm not pushing anything out of control. You're right though, the early morning activity works more effectively, and slows down throughout the day if you're on 2 injections daily. I can't speak for the pre-meal injections and carb-counting though, sorry - I'm a Humulin M3 twice daily (10 units am and pm.

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nothing wrong with any of that @Interaud :)

Most Type 1s eat moderate carbs. I eat cereal, toast, pasta, rice, cake, potatoes, etc. Just not all at the same time ;)

Reactions: CHIET1

maria030660

Dislikes
Everything in moderation they say and non diabetics would benefit from it

PI3.14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat a variety, including porridge. I usually make my own mix of a good quality muesli plus a good quality granola plus All Bran. I have it with full fat milk, and always weigh my cereal rather than guess. I bolus in advance and that keeps any spike low :)

When I have a mid-morning snack, I keep the carbs 20g or below usually, bolus enough insulin to be in range about 90 mins later, and usually eat my snack at around the same time.

My advice is to sort your breakfast first - find a cereal that works, find a bolus amount and time that works, and then once that's ok, you can look at getting your snack bolus right so you're in range before lunch.

When I'm busy, I tend to eat the same breakfast every day for simplicity :)

I find cereal works well for both blood sugar and filling power - and time!

Sounds exactly like my diet and routine. Occasionally I'll get a post breakfast spike which is (I presume) caused by a slower absorption of my insulin because everything else is pretty much the same every day

Reactions: azure

dieseleyes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Usually have half hour cycle to work and in by half 7 but don't have breakfast until about 9. Muesli and Greek yoghurt normally. Don't buy cheap muesli though. Nothing will send you to the canteen for a fry up faster than cheap muesli.

maria030660

Dislikes
Which one do you buy and how much do you use in your Greek yoghurt?

dieseleyes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aldi full fat Greek style yoghurt and Aldi berries and cherries muesli. Usually 30-50g muesli 50g yoghurt. Works out under 200 calories

I take 2 units of NovoRapid for it.

Last edited:

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another type 1 who wakes up early checking in. I get up somewhere between 5-7am, these days usually 5:30-6am. Breakfast has always been my favourite meal of the day, and nothing changed after getting type 1. Currently I eat about 50g carbs for breakfast: 2 weetbix with peanut butter, 1 fruit (I've tried lots of options - today was an apple, for a few weeks I ate a kiwi fruit. This is the part of breakfast that I vary the most) and 1 ice cream (doctor says the fat is good for my bowels - struggling with constipation at the moment), as well as a big glass of water of course! I usually get hungry later in the morning - I'll have a salad and as many carby snacks as I need to fill me up. Lunch is sometime between 11-1 depending on my blood sugars, appetite and plans for the day.