Breakfast ( for pre diabetic)

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. So due to rising weight I’m back on the low carb route. A week in and already the signs are good on the scales. However, I find that breakfast is the most difficult time to deal with. A week of omelette, scrambled, boiled eggs has left me hating the sight of an egg! The alternative for me has been a low carb cracker with a scrape of marmalade etc which is my bread substitute. When first diagnosed as prediabetic I think the shock and fear drove me, this time around it’s my gradual weight gain that I want to get rid of, as far as I know my readings are in the safe zone. What do others do for breakfast? I find as Im eating an egg I’m thinking of toast and marmalade! Help!

SarahEN

I too am bored of eggs so I've started having chia seed porridge recently. It's a bit of a faff as you need to soak the seeds.l or they course your digestive system alot of problems.

I use 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 20g porridge oats, 400ml unsweetened almond or coconut milk & a teaspoon of cinnamon. I leave it overnight to soak & heat in the morning & chuck a hamdful of berries in.

With blueberries its 27g of carbs (10g are the blueberries though) I try to keep below 50g a day so it's fine for me but if you wanted to keep the carb count lower you could reduce or cut out the oats, & use a lower carb berry like raspberries. It's also about 16g fibre which is why I eat it so much!

Reactions: Goldenoldy

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to skip breakfast, but a couple of ideas might be smoked salmon (with or without cream cheese), full-fat Greek yoghurt (with or without a few berries), bacon wrapped Halloumi (great done in an air fryer) or any food that you might eat at any other time of day.

Jo123

I have half a large tub of unsweetened soya yoghurt (alpro or tesco) with a about 25gms almonds.

That porridge even as a pre diabetic would be to carby for me in the morning. Could you do it without berries or oats, just a few chopped nuts? I keep to about 80 gms a day but the bulk of that are vegetables, I eat no obvious carbs.

Sugarlisa

I too am bored of eggs so I've started having chia seed porridge recently. It's a bit of a faff as you need to soak the seeds.l or they course your digestive system alot of problems.

I use 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, 20g porridge oats, 400ml unsweetened almond or coconut milk & a teaspoon of cinnamon. I leave it overnight to soak & heat in the morning & chuck a hamdful of berries in.

With blueberries its 27g of carbs (10g are the blueberries though) I try to keep below 50g a day so it's fine for me but if you wanted to keep the carb count lower you could reduce or cut out the oats, & use a lower carb berry like raspberries. It's also about 16g fibre which is why I eat it so much!

Something I might try

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
That's my go to also eggs but days when I need a change I make low carb pancakes or waffles and freeze them and have them with butter I try to have them with low carb jam or syrup and or cream or yoghurt and or sometimes some berries. low carb 60 second microwave bread and have cheese tomatoes sandwich I used to make the diet doctor bread rolls and make a sandwich or In winter have Diet doctor coconut porridge.

SarahEN

I have half a large tub of unsweetened soya yoghurt (alpro or tesco) with a about 25gms almonds.

That porridge even as a pre diabetic would be to carby for me in the morning. Could you do it without berries or oats, just a few chopped nuts? I keep to about 80 gms a day but the bulk of that are vegetables, I eat no obvious carbs.
Yes def. If you swapped the blueberries for raspberries you cut out about 7g of carbs. The oats are another 12g - though I'd probably swap that for flaxseed to maintain the fibre content . So you can easily cut out it down to around 8g carbs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages mushrooms courgette sweet pepper, the outer stalks of celery, aubergine - anything I find in the fridge....
There is always the stewpot - all the leftovers go in there and I give it a short blast with the Bamix blender with the chopping blade to thicken it but not make it all the same.

Jo123

Thank you @SarahEN, I'll put chia and flaxseeds on my shopping list. There seems to be a supply issue with my soya yoghurt, none unsweetened available at tesco.

SarahEN

Yes I've noticed a supply issue in my local supermarkets for unsweetened coconut & almond milk as well. I wonder if alot of people decided to do veganuary & they under estimated demand?