Breakfast hot chocolate

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that Autumn is upon us, I thought I would share my methods for a nice, sustaining, low-carb hot chocolate. Great for breakfast, or indeed, any other time!

The liquid - I use around a quarter to a third of double cream and top up to the required volume with water.
The chocolate - I use 5 or 6 Hotel Chocolat 100% cocoa buttons, and also add a small teaspoon of unsweetened proper cocoa for a bit more oomph, but adjust as you like.
Method - heat the cream mix, it’s nice if you can get a bit of froth going, I use the steam arm on my espresso machine. Add the chocolate and cocoa, stir well, drink....

I find that it is plenty sweet with nothing added, the cream has natural sweetness, but of course you can add any suitable low-carb sweetener.

It will have a bit of cocoa-y slurry at the bottom, but I just drink that too.:cat:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Nice!

I add some coffee to mine in the mornings, makes a great combo to start the day.:wideyed:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do something very similar, but vary the chocolate part and use a lot less cream. :) It is delicious, innit? Had one this morning.

Godiva 72% chocolate makes the BEST EVER drink (but then it would, wouldn't it?)
Hotel Chocolate batons come a close second
I find that Green and Blacks cocoa powder (not the pre-mixed hot choc) is a bit too gritty
Lindt 70% chocolate (or higher) is fab.
and Bourneville 100% cocoa powder is a fab fall back. In fact, it is so delicious, economical and easy to mix up, that it is really up there near the top of the list.

I use freshly boiled water half filling the cup, add the choc. Then whizz it all up to a froth with an Aerolatte (saves washing up), then top up with a dash of cream and more hot water.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm lazy - I just use instant (hazelnut) coffee, 100% cocoa (currently Menier brand), with a bit of stevia and a slosh of double cream mixed up with hot water. I don't need to add much cream for it to keep me going until at least lunch time.

The coffee/cocoa mix (aka mocha) is something I've drunk on and off for ages, originally at tea/coffee breaks at work many years ago after being introduced to it by a Jewish student who was working with us.

@Bruuneria Lindt choc IMO deserves to be eaten as is... o_O :p

Reactions: Goonergal

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bruuneria Lindt choc IMO deserves to be eaten as is... o_O :p

yes, I thought the same, til I tried it in hot choc... :D
I blame the Hotel Chocolat cafes. They make hot choc out of HC choc (grated, and added in scoopfuls). After that, I just had to experiment. Thoroughly ;)

Reactions: zauberflote

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.ketomealsandrecipes.com/recipe/parisian-hot-chocolate/

This is an excellent hot chocolate; I would have it everyday.
I remember being absolutely bowled over Spanish hot chocolate when I was a child in the 70s. We used to take the caravan to Spain for 4 weeks during the school summer hols, my parents’ reasoning being that it was ‘cheaper to live’ over there, once you got yourself to Spain. And possibly it was, but I’m fairly sure that what they really meant was, it was possible to drink lots of Rioja and Fundador and Triple Sec and smoke endless Gitanes and Disc Bleu for not a lot of money. That’s what grown-ups did in the 70s, innit? :D

On occasion, as the prospect of another night sweating in a sleeping bag palled, my parents would push the boat out and book us in for a brief stay in a Parador. We were staying in one fairly high in the Picos de Europa mountains, so hot choc for breakfast was entirely appropriate even in the height of summer.

I was expecting something like Cadbury’s drinking chocolate, what I got was this fantastically thick, rich, powerfully sweet and chocolatey stuff which was almost too thick to pour. I can remember it vividly almost 50 years later. I also remember that, greedy child though I was, even I couldn’t finish the cup. It’s made with cornflour, I think, and buckets of chocolate. The non-keto version of your link, I suspect!

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the non keto version in France at Angelina's( same as the recipe’s author which she had and the reason why I tried it).This is the only keto (and-non-keto) hot chocolate I’ve tried which has come remotely close to THAT hot chocolat.

I had one in Madrid with churros (just as good) but that was before this whole diabetes thingy.
n.b. the author of these recipes is T2

Last edited: