Breakfast ideas?

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a vegan and lactose intolerant and eat low carb/ keto most of the time. I don’t generally eat breakfast, just coffee. I use some of Heavenly Fan on YouTube for recipes for baking for vegan keto.

Will have a look at heavenly fan Thankyou.
I find I feel the need to eat something when I wake up so will keep on trying new things.

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, diabetes is a very individual disorder. I suspect type 2 has several sub types.

I am not gluten or lactose intolerant, but when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2003, I had embraced ovo-lacto vegetarianism for more than 30 years and built up a repertoire of vegan recipes. Fast forward 10-15 years and I found diabetes management increasingly challenging. Rather than resort to medication, my solution was to include animal protein in the form of fish and seafood in my diet. I do not eat meat or poultry, but do include butter.

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

In Summer:
I enjoy two poached eggs with a knob of butter, slices of avocado and some tiger prawns, seasoned with one or two grindings of black pepper.

Another favourite combination, when I have a little more time, is poached eggs, scallops and asparagus spears garnished with a generous knob of butter and some chopped flat-leaved parsley, all seasoned with black pepper.
Unfortunately, the English asparagus season is brief, but I make the most of it, while it's available.

At weekends, I often have two eggs scrambled in butter, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and a tomato, garnished with flat-leaved parsley or chervil and seasoned black pepper.

Sounds lovely think I may need to get into the cooking habit for breakfast.

Reactions: LivingLightly

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think of it as “breakfast” it’s just a meal so basically you can eat anything you eat any time of the day. I mostly have leftovers from the night before, if not then I have eggs, bacon, whatever’s in the fridge. This morning I had chopped up cold chicken and some spinach with green beans and cherry toms from last nights dinner. Yesterday morning I had a couple of Heck sausages and some broccoli and roasted peppers tossed in Vinegarette. cuts down on the prep if you have a hectic start to your day

When I was on detox a decade or so ago I was eating congee for breakfast which is basically rice and I grew to love it but rice spikes me big time so yes need to adjust my thinking of what breakfast is again defo - thanks for reminder.

Reactions: lovinglife

junH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Loud music, advertising, corrupt politicians,
I now have shelled hemp seeds which I mix with kefir and put in fridge to allow it to thicken I find it filling. I also often add some lemon zest for flavour. I've also mixed with chia seeds but prefer texture of shelled hemp seeds. I also mix in my spoon of Norwegian fish oil as I don't like fish oil capsules and can't taste the fish oil mixed in.
Edit apologies just spotted you are lactose intolerant so may not be right for you.
Ò

Bapuboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Does anyone eat bread or toast for breakfast?
I eat toast, 1 poached egg and 4 cherry tomatoes for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I spike and sometimes I don’t. Is bread/toast the problem?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
We do. The way to "combat spikes" for me is not to eat the food that causes the spike. Other T2s use insulin.
I'm T2 on LCHF AND insulin. Even so, only keeps BG under control for some of the time.

embayweather

I eat a small, and I do mean small, bowl of unsweetened cornflakes an hour later I am spiking 16 +. Running out of sensible ideas to eat something now. I can only stand for around five minutes so cooking is out.

NetteW

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I eat a small, and I do mean small, bowl of unsweetened cornflakes an hour later I am spiking 16 +. Running out of sensible ideas to eat something now. I can only stand for around five minutes so cooking is out.
I eat a mix of chia seeds and milled mixed seeds with goji berries and chopped nuts. Soak overnight in a milk of choice, I use cows milk. I don’t have a monitor but it is a very low carb meal.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't stand for more than a minute or so but I keep a chair to fall into close to the stove. Boiled eggs are easy and you don't have to stand for long. Cold meats or cheese are good, even though you might think of it as "not breakfast". I just had greek yoghurt with a few raspberries - I reckon about 6 or 7g of carbs. Not too high and shouldn't cause a spike. Could also hard boil a few eggs and keep them ready for use either as egg mayo (highish calories but low carb) or part of a breakfast salad. No reason not to have salad at breakfast time.

BoldItalic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat toast, 1 poached egg and 4 cherry tomatoes for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Sometimes I spike and sometimes I don’t. Is bread/toast the problem?

Depends how much of it you eat. One slice might be okay, two slices might be too much. If it's a sugar spike (within, say, half an hour of eating) that you are seeing it might also be the tomatoes. Warburtons do a "no added sugar" wholemeal loaf that you could perhaps try to see if that makes any difference. I get mine from the local Tesco's. It tastes fairly bland, though, and tends to crumble when toasted so it's not exactly enjoyable, but it's something to put liberal amounts of spread and peanut butter on.

• Agree
Reactions: Annb

Miss_Piggywig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I on scrambled egg which cooks in less than 2 mins and lettuce. Lettuce makes my plate look fuller which helps my mindset.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat anything for breakfast, doesn’t have to be recognised “breakfast” food. The usual eggs, bacon, high meat content sausage. Cold meats, cheeses, full fat Greek yogurt.

I mostly eat leftovers from dinner the night before, I’ve had low carb pizza, cold veggies (love my cold above ground veggies) cooked chicken, yesterday I had some low carb cauliflower cheese. Think of it as a meal not breakfast and it will open up many possibilities

You can make a big frittata and portion it out - will keep 3 days in the fridge, eat hot or cold and even take it with you. Omelettes can be made in advance too with a quick heat up in the microwave

JoeyJava

Hi,
I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

We have overnight gf oats. That was spiking my readings.

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

Any ideas welcomed as could only think of egg omelette ‍♀️
Hi there - I was thinking that overnight oats would mitigate their fibre to some extent, and theoretically stimulate more of a spike. On that basis, if you made it freshly before having it, it'd be better - but I can't testify to your individual taste and texture preferences.

Adding nuts and seeds would again, help to reduce the spike - once more - preferably shortly before eating it.

Look at which milk you're using - most dairy free have some kind of rice/oat component, at the very least. The worst are the sweetened varieties, and the bane of my life are the unsweetened ones that also have maltodextrin. These liquidised carbs may as well just be written as "sugar". If you can, try and find an unsweetened soya milk that doesn't have maltodextrin. It's really the best overall substitute for standard dairy - it has a comparable protein content (another complement to mitigating glucose spike) and most are fortified with the calcium and vitamins that you'd find naturally in dairy... milks (lol) on top of this, the fat component is largely associated with being beneficial for heart health and cholesterol levels, which is always a good thing, right?

And PLEASE shake the carton EVERY TIME you use it. Best of luck to you finding one of these soya milks nowadays - the only one I know of that's currently on point is the Tesco own brand (I don't even bother looking at branded stuff - I know my place )

Also, they do a couple of soya yoghurt pots, if you fancy trying them. Or they did, at least. I think the 500g one was just "Soya Yoghurt" and the 400g "Greek Style". They don't have any salt in, either - the Alpro one has about 1.25g/pot.

Best wishes, and all my love to you!

• Friendly
Reactions: lynda21984 and Annb

David Paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes; the carbohydrate from the bread is likely to be the main culprit: however, you could try a slice of smoked mackerel first (or chicken); then have the toast. Eating protein will slow down the uptake of any carbohydrate.

Yoga Tam

Breakfast cereal is the devil itself for spiking blood sugar. Some people have a lot of luck swapping it for low carb - such as putting a scoop of chia (£1 a bag in Lidl or Aldi) in a bowl with milk of choice the night before. By morning it's thickened to a porridge consistency. Serve with a sprinkle of berries (I keep a bag of frozen summer berries in the freezer) and / or nuts and seeds. I often add vanilla extract and stevia drops to sweeten. It's low carb, very filling and nutritious. Other than that simply plain yoghurt and berries with a sprinkle of nuts / seeds is good.

• Friendly

Yoga Tam

Breakfast cereal is the devil itself for spiking blood sugar. Some people have a lot of luck swapping it for low carb - such as putting a scoop of chia (£1 a bag in Lidl or Aldi) in a bowl with milk of choice the night before. By morning it's thickened to a porridge consistency. Serve with a sprinkle of berries (I keep a bag of frozen summer berries in the freezer) and / or nuts and seeds. I often add vanilla extract and
Hi there - I was thinking that overnight oats would mitigate their fibre to some extent, and theoretically stimulate more of a spike. On that basis, if you made it freshly before having it, it'd be better - but I can't testify to your individual taste and texture preferences.

Adding nuts and seeds would again, help to reduce the spike - once more - preferably shortly before eating it.

Look at which milk you're using - most dairy free have some kind of rice/oat component, at the very least. The worst are the sweetened varieties, and the bane of my life are the unsweetened ones that also have maltodextrin. These liquidised carbs may as well just be written as "sugar". If you can, try and find an unsweetened soya milk that doesn't have maltodextrin. It's really the best overall substitute for standard dairy - it has a comparable protein content (another complement to mitigating glucose spike) and most are fortified with the calcium and vitamins that you'd find naturally in dairy... milks (lol) on top of this, the fat component is largely associated with being beneficial for heart health and cholesterol levels, which is always a good thing, right?

And PLEASE shake the carton EVERY TIME you use it. Best of luck to you finding one of these soya milks nowadays - the only one I know of that's currently on point is the Tesco own brand (I don't even bother looking at branded stuff - I know my place )

Also, they do a couple of soya yoghurt pots, if you fancy trying them. Or they did, at least. I think the 500g one was just "Soya Yoghurt" and the 400g "Greek Style". They don't have any salt in, either - the Alpro one has about 1.25g/pot.

Best wishes, and all my love to you!

stevia drops to sweeten. It's low carb, very filling and nutritious. Other than that simply plain yoghurt and berries with a sprinkle of nuts / seeds is good.

Yoga Tam

Hi,
I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

We have overnight gf oats. That was spiking my readings.

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

Any ideas welcomed as could only think of egg omelette ‍♀️
Swap out the oats for chia or hemps seeds. No spike.

• Informative

David Paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't stand for more than a minute or so but I keep a chair to fall into close to the stove. Boiled eggs are easy and you don't have to stand for long. Cold meats or cheese are good, even though you might think of it as "not breakfast". I just had greek yoghurt with a few raspberries - I reckon about 6 or 7g of carbs. Not too high and shouldn't cause a spike. Could also hard boil a few eggs and keep them ready for use either as egg mayo (highish calories but low carb) or part of a breakfast salad. No reason not to have salad at breakfast time.
I would avoid ALL cold cereals as they are, generally, high in sugar. Smoked mackerel or salmon would be good as they are already cooked & ready to eat. If you can’t stand to cook are you not able to get help with assisted living?

Pat50D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have HiLo low car, high protein bread for breakfast. I have two slices with bacon. I had this 30 mins ago followed by an avocado and now my sugars are 6.6. My medication is Solostar Toujeo insulin and 1 metfotmin.

• Informative