Breakfast ideas?

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I am gluten and lactose intolerant.

We have overnight gf oats. That was spiking my readings.

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

Any ideas welcomed as could only think of egg omelette ‍♀️

Reactions: shelley262

Lakeslover

Greek yoghurt and walnuts or berries (or both!). Any sort of eggs, or cheese. a firm called keto Hana make a lovely low carb granola. You can get it on line or at Holland and Barrett. It’s nice mixed with Greek yoghurt.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t think of it as “breakfast” it’s just a meal so basically you can eat anything you eat any time of the day. I mostly have leftovers from the night before, if not then I have eggs, bacon, whatever’s in the fridge. This morning I had chopped up cold chicken and some spinach with green beans and cherry toms from last nights dinner. Yesterday morning I had a couple of Heck sausages and some broccoli and roasted peppers tossed in Vinegarette. cuts down on the prep if you have a hectic start to your day

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I now have shelled hemp seeds which I mix with kefir and put in fridge to allow it to thicken I find it filling. I also often add some lemon zest for flavour. I've also mixed with chia seeds but prefer texture of shelled hemp seeds. I also mix in my spoon of Norwegian fish oil as I don't like fish oil capsules and can't taste the fish oil mixed in.
Edit apologies just spotted you are lactose intolerant so may not be right for you.

Reactions: junH
D

Deleted member 574368

Sounds good! The danger is UPF's and things with lots of corn syrup cornflakes etc which I used to love. The unfortunate thing is that T2's have no real way of combating spikes and can only watch as the reading stabilise.

Get a copy of the GI index "Should be issued on diagnosis" and have a look at what and when you're eating. Certain foods are great at points in the day when you are very active but not so good when you slow down. Preparing a days worth of food with these options in mind will help.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good! The danger is UPF's and things with lots of corn syrup cornflakes etc which I used to love. The unfortunate thing is that T2's have no real way of combating spikes and can only watch as the reading stabilise.

Get a copy of the GI index "Should be issued on diagnosis" and have a look at what and when you're eating. Certain foods are great at points in the day when you are very active but not so good when you slow down. Preparing a days worth of food with these options in mind will help.
We do. The way to "combat spikes" for me is not to eat the food that causes the spike. Other T2s use insulin.

D

Deleted member 574368

"not to eat the food that causes the spikes" isn't that the point of the GI index?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
"not to eat the food that causes the spikes" isn't that the point of the GI index?
As GI level makes very little difference to my spikes, I take no notice of it, just count the carbs - but I rely on the low carb or no carb options of animal sourced protein and fat I can't really suggest any suitable options.
There might be some low carb gluten free recipes for bread on the internet - but it would mean searching out the ingredients carefully.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Well it would be if it worked!
The problem is that we T2's are a vary varied group in the size of reaction we get to various carbs. Some are OK with things like Porridge or carrots (both spike me quite badly ). One member in here @Resurgam has a much larger reaction from pulses than their GI's would predict.
We have to find out individually which carbs (at which time of day) affect our bodies most/least - yes, it can even vary a lot based on time of day. Some are much more carb tolerant in the evenings and other in the mornings.
All this is why we use BG meters which I see you disparage!
At first I thought if I combined GI and GL it would all start to make sense, but it doesn't, our unique gut biomes mean any 'one size fits all' is completely out of the question, apart from the very general thing that the fewer we consume of carbs and particularly the carbs that affect us personally the most, the lower spot BG and thus the lower our HbA1C.

D

Deleted member 574368

Fair enough I see you point and as i said personal experience counts for a lot. However I stand by the GI index to give me a baseline of how certain things will react

Reactions: jupeter

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, diabetes is a very individual disorder. I suspect type 2 has several sub types.

I am not gluten or lactose intolerant, but when diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2003, I had embraced ovo-lacto vegetarianism for more than 30 years and built up a repertoire of vegan recipes. Fast forward 10-15 years and I found diabetes management increasingly challenging. Rather than resort to medication, my solution was to include animal protein in the form of fish and seafood in my diet. I do not eat meat or poultry, but do include butter.

Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

In Summer:
I enjoy two poached eggs with a knob of butter, slices of avocado and some tiger prawns, seasoned with one or two grindings of black pepper.

Another favourite combination, when I have a little more time, is poached eggs, scallops and asparagus spears garnished with a generous knob of butter and some chopped flat-leaved parsley, all seasoned with black pepper.
Unfortunately, the English asparagus season is brief, but I make the most of it, while it's available.

At weekends, I often have two eggs scrambled in butter, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and a tomato, garnished with flat-leaved parsley or chervil and seasoned black pepper.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If only it was that simple. If the GI index was any use to me in predicting BG impact I would be using it. It isn't any good for me as a predictor - the only way I found out was testing and recording. For example: pastry and chickpeas have similar GI scores. pastry spikes me properly, chickpeas I'll get a small to moderate rise within tolerance.

GI may be useful to you, which is fine. It's no use to me or others. If you read more of the T2 stuff on here (I know you're a new member) you will see the wide variations that T2s have in responses to foods.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Now have cider vinegar with the mother in a tonic after and that reduces spikes.

Wondering if any other ideas for breakfast though as can’t do most cereals or breads.

I prefer to be vegan too but have found that nearly impossible recently due to my blood sugars going high after ICU visit due to anaphylaxis so now eating some fish and chicken.

I had suspected for a long time that I was either lactose or gluten intolerant but could not quite pin it down.
Then T2 arrived and as part of low carbing I now find any symptoms of my suspected intolerance have disappeared. (Maybe my intolerance was to carbs?)
Obviously I'm not eating cereal so no gluten (or only tiny bits in sausages for example) but eating loads of dairy.
I just mentioned this as you too may find that your intolerance reduce or disappear as you get progressively lower carb. I hope they do.

Meanwhile, breakfast is whatever you like, eggs or leftovers in any form, or you can skip it altogether and just fill up more at other meals.

Reactions: aylalake and Ellymt

Mini Dachs Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am a vegan and lactose intolerant and eat low carb/ keto most of the time. I don’t generally eat breakfast, just coffee. I use some of Heavenly Fan on YouTube for recipes for baking for vegan keto.

Reactions: Ellymt

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a wheat and gluten allergy, no fun at all. BUT…I’m not vegetarian in any way, shape, or form. I won’t tell you what I eat but I have heard that lupin based products are a good replacement for oatmeal. I believe they’re called Lupini flakes…try Amazon. Very low carb. Maybe lupin flour to make keto pancakes? Almond flour pancakes are quite yummy. There are some really good keto granolas out there. Yogurt with granola and a few berries, yum.

• Informative
Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Flaxseed porridge?
I use milled flaxseed with chia seeds, then add other seeds and chopped nuts plus a little salt. Made with water then add coconut milk and cinnamon.

Interesting will try. Thankyou.

Ellymt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had suspected for a long time that I was either lactose or gluten intolerant but could not quite pin it down.
Then T2 arrived and as part of low carbing I now find any symptoms of my suspected intolerance have disappeared. (Maybe my intolerance was to carbs?)
Obviously I'm not eating cereal so no gluten (or only tiny bits in sausages for example) but eating loads of dairy.
I just mentioned this as you too may find that your intolerance reduce or disappear as you get progressively lower carb. I hope they do.

Meanwhile, breakfast is whatever you like, eggs or leftovers in any form, or you can skip it altogether and just fill up more at other meals.

Will keep mindful if this possibility Thankyou