Breakfast ideas!

Marfmama

Today marks a week of verrrry low carb diet, I feel so much better for it! I have found lots of fun snack and meal ideas, but breakfast has become a bit boring, I keep having eggs and mushrooms... any other ideas? :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Think continental: hams, salami, cheeses, slices of tomato, olives. Then there's fish: everything from a tin of sardines to smoked salmon! Have them with a bit of lemon and some salad. Or you can poach fish, such as smoked haddock. An option popular with many forum members is berries (strawberries/blueberries/raspberries) with full fat Greek yoghurt and some nuts and seeds on the top - not without carbs, but much lower than most breakfasts. And, as for mushrooms, we enjoy them fried, with tofu and tomatoes.
Sally

Reactions: 6 people

dollydaydream2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today marks a week of verrrry low carb diet, I feel so much better for it! I have found lots of fun snack and meal ideas, but breakfast has become a bit boring, I keep having eggs and mushrooms... any other ideas? :)

How low is very low? I've been trying to be low carb this week but still having weetabix for brekkie as I can't face cooking in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelsie

Have you tried flourless pancakes? It's just two bananas and two eggs-mix them up and fry it like a normal pancake! They're delicious and I only have to take two units of insulin tops as it is so low in carbs :) slow releasing so great to have before exercise too :)

Marfmama

I saw that recipe.on pinterest actually - was just worried about how the banana would affect me! Will try it though, I need to experiment to see how different things affect me. I have also seen a lot of recipes using almond flour, something to think about!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi, I personally wouldn't eat fruit on a low carb diet as it still contains Fructose, so another sugar to add into the mix.

However blueberries and full fat greek yoghurt are a nice alternative as you can eat a small handful without any dramatic increase in BG - still take insulin for this as however low the carb the body is clever at converting food to energy, so check according to your ratios.

I personally do low carb so each day I make a muffin in a mug - 25g of milled flaxseed, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, 1 egg - mix well and microwave for 1 minute in a mug, I eat this with a slice of full fat cheese, I take 1 unit of insulin for this, keeps me full till about 11 then I eat a handful of almonds. .

I wouldn't eat porridge or weetabix as these contain carbs and altho porridge is slow release it still sends my sugars high.

Other alternatives - omelette with sliced courgette and cheese, scrambled egg and back (yum..), otherwise ham and cheese.

I also make on a Saturday gluten free pancakes as a treat with agave nectar - low GI syrup, I can eat a couple taking 2 units of insulin and doesn't send me sky high.

I'm now feeling hungry again.. ;)

Kelsie

I tried it first without injecting to see how it affected me and it only put up my sugars slightly hence why I just have two units. Just because your on a low carb diet, I personally wouldn't reduce fruit content too as fruit despite having natural sugars in, are so important for your body!! Plus two bananas are only like 25-30g carbs tops. I've tried the almond flour pancakes your referring to as well and they're yummy too but personally I preferred the taste of the banana ones :)

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Im very low carbing too, that's all im eating is a lot of fruit, veg and meat for protein. In total I inject 6 units a day when i used to inject around 35. Completely cut out bread for months now, i've cut out crisps, biscuits and ****** stuff like that. Um, in the morning i have a bowl of cornflakes (23g) and fresh sliced banana pieces mixed in with it and semi-skimmed milk, its soo nice :'), also you could try gronola with banana, grapes and strawberries, whatever fruit really, mixed in with strawberry flavoured low fat yoghurt :)

Reactions: 4 people

RhettsHeir

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found groats --whole oats-- work for a filling and lower carb, lower GI breakfast. They take a while to cook up, about 50 min, but i make a week's worth and just throw a bowl in the microwave in the am. Also cottage cheese. (That's what it's called in the US. Maybe it's curds in the UK.). I sprinkle some cinnamon and Splenda on it to give it a kick, or some low sugar preserves.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and eggs? That is my first choice, and I scramble the eggs in the fat on weekdays, on Sundays I use cream to make a change.

Full fat yoghurt with berries and nuts (and sesame seed, flax seeds, whatever) is another low-carb option. I find I need more sustenance though.

I will probably never eat a banana ever again as all fruits seems to make my bg go high. But that is me, we are all different.

jazglo

I love my eggs for breakfast and I eat low carb. I usually scramble my two eggs with a tiny bit of milk. I have them with lightly cooked grated zucchini, cherry tomato and mushrooms and a side of avocado or goats chèvre crumbled on top. Yum! With a fresh coffee breakfast is my favourite meal of the day.

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow, I'm really inspired by all those options.May I ask, did you all lose weight reducing your carbs, and I take it you're not all stacking weight on eating cheese, protein etc?

jazglo

I have been losing weight, but not from reducing carbs alone. I am also only eating between 1100 and 1300 calories per day until I reach my goal weight. Lost 15kgs so far over about 6 months. I'd like to lose another 10kgs. I make sure I eat good quality food and lots of vegetables, especially greens. Slowly but surely :)

Leeroy1303

Juicyj I tried the muffin in a mug it certainly does the trick of low carb and filling although not very tasty but with a little greek yoghurt its ok I'll definately be eating these regularly :)

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Cheesecake
If any of you guys are interested there's a fairly low cal cheesecake recipe that was quite popular on bodybuilding.com a while ago. I've made it quite a few times with many variations(flavour/ingredients) and it's one of my favourite things to make.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141848361

The scoop of whey protein isn't really necessary you can replace it with cocoa or cake mix etc or leave it out completely.
Lower fat cream cheese has more carbs but less calories whereas the full fat cream cheese has next to no carbs but more fat and thus more calories.
Egg whites can substitute the eggs for less cals.
Drained cottage cheese can substitute the greek yoghurt or part of the cream cheese to lower calories, same goes for full or sour cream(more calories) or the tangy taste preference.

Have fun.

EDIT: This is one I made last week
http://imgur.com/zcYnEzQ

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I eat breakfast I have either bacon and eggs with butter or full fat Greek yoghurt with shredded coconut and cinnamon.