Breakfast Loaf x 3 Varieties

Unbeliever

Re: Breakfast Loaf

I am so looking forward to another breakfast option! It has been very hectic around my house recently and every day I collect alll the ingredients together one of them disappears.
Its very frustrating but I'm sure it will be worth the wait!

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

Ok first slice devoured! Love it! it's a little different to I'd imagined, mine was lighter than the picture, a bit crumbly but tasty and even tastier with butter on it, especially when it was warm. I am struggling with the idea that it is 16 slices? Perhaps mine was deeper and not so long, put I can get about 10 slices max. I don't think I could slice it thinner as it's crumbly (that's MY excuse! )

SweetHeart

The loaf tine I use is about 4 inches by 13, so I can get more slices out of it. It's a continental tin - think I bought it in Lidl some years ago - very long, hence the 16 slices. The Blueberry & lemon recipe is crumblier than the apple so harder to slice thinly!

Coconut flour maybe cheaper on ebay; ground almonds are 99p for 200g in Aldi. You can also buy unsweetened dessicated coconut and whizz it in a food processor, the same with flaked/slivered almonds. You don't necessarily need the coconut flour; you can use all almond or almonds and soy or peanut flour instead of coconut. This will alter the carb count though.

Ju

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

SweetHeart said:
The loaf tine I use is about 4 inches by 13, so I can get more slices out of it. It's a continental tin - think I bought it in Lidl some years ago - very long, hence the 16 slices. The Blueberry & lemon recipe is crumblier than the apple so harder to slice thinly!

Coconut flour maybe cheaper on ebay; ground almonds are 99p for 200g in Aldi. You can also buy unsweetened dessicated coconut and whizz it in a food processor, the same with flaked/slivered almonds. You don't necessarily need the coconut flour; you can use all almond or almonds and soy or peanut flour instead of coconut. This will alter the carb count though.

Ju
SweetHeart! I wouldn't change the recipe, I love the taste, now I know about the tips you gave I might do it like that when I run out of coconut flour, although I have a big bag of it now. I have had 3 slices so far and not 1 blip on the BS's !! YIPPEEE.
I'm going to make the lemon one next. X :D

SweetHeart

I'm thinking about a banana loaf, but it would have to be natural banana essence as 'nanas are a no go for most. Banana, walnut and maybe ground flax seed.

Also, I didn't refrigerate my loaves but I think, in this warmer weather, that would be wise - especially the blueberry one.

Ju

Defren

SweetHeart said:
I'm thinking about a banana loaf, but it would have to be natural banana essence as 'nanas are a no go for most. Banana, walnut and maybe ground flax seed.

Also, I didn't refrigerate my loaves but I think, in this warmer weather, that would be wise - especially the blueberry one.

Ju

Banana wouldn't be that bad if there wasn't loads and it's shared among the slices. I used to love banana bread, and banana's were my favourite fruit. All in the dim, distant past now. :(

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

SweetHeart said:

Ju

I froze mine - then let it thaw in the fridge. still yummy! Looking forward to what you come up with in the banana range!! X

BarbaraMc

Sweetheart -
I'm curious as to why the ordinary Apple Breakfast Loaf has 1½ tbsp of baking powder, and the Blueberry variety has only 1 teaspoon ?
I'm also wondering why the original is a rich brown colour, whereas the other is very pale, almost grey. I do intend to try them out when I have enough ground almonds and get the coconut flour. Thanks

SweetHeart

The apple loaf has pureed apple and brown spices in it. The spices give the colour and the apple makes the loaf mix dense and hard to rise unless it has sufficient raising agent.

There are no spices or puree in the blueberry variety. If you put the same amount of raising agent in that variety you'd get a horrible flavour and it would probably spill over the side of the tin and make a terrible mess in your oven.

Ju

BlindFaith

Ohhh this looks so good....

I definitely did not start drooling and licking my computer screen...... :shifty:

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals

Decided to cook the apple cake. What can I say. Despite the fact I got my tbs and ts of baking powder confused :lol: it still tasted great. A bit crumbly, (would make a great cheesecake base), had some with butter on, then froze the rest. Warmed it up and had it with creme fraise as a pudding yesterday, and it was soooo good. Thanx. :thumbup:

WhitbyJet

I have made this a few times, a wonderful recipe, thanks Sweetheart :thumbup: :thumbup:

Only slight adaption is that I added a little bit of guar gum to the batter, its not crumbly any more, just perfect, I could have added gluten, but wanted to keep it gluten free.

SweetHeart

WhitbyJet said:
I have made this a few times, a wonderful recipe, thanks Sweetheart :thumbup: :thumbup:

Only slight adaption is that I added a little bit of guar gum to the batter, its not crumbly any more, just perfect, I could have added gluten, but wanted to keep it gluten free.

Just looking at GG on ebay - how much did you use WJ? I'm wondering how much to order.

Ju

WhitbyJet

Ju, I added about 3/4 teaspoon of guar gum to the batter, it really helps to keep the cake together.
Thanks again for the recipe.

Edit:
As a general rule you would use 1/2 a tsp per cup of flour substitute for cakes or biscuits, if you are making breads or pizzabases you add 1tsp per cup of flour substitute. Adding gum works really well.

SweetHeart

Just added a Choc chip & banana version to the original post. I haven't added any guar gum to this version - mine hasn't been delivered yet!

Enjoy!

Ju

mau

Wow, thank you so much for these recipes SweetHeart, they look really nice

i was only recently diagnosed and am still coming terms with what the future will be like food wise as i do like my cakes and desserts, but this has really put me at ease considerably

i will sure be making these very soon!

Thanks again!

David