Breakfast Loaf x 3 Varieties

SweetHeart

Breakfast Loaf

I've been eating low carb apple cake for breakfast. It's great to just grab a slice and butter it. So I thought I'd make one that was a bit heartier, a bit more breakfasty. This one is about 6g carbs per slice and very filling. You can use all almonds or the almond/flax/soy mixture which seems to make a lighter textured loaf.

DSCF2430.jpg

One large cooking apple, cored,finely chopped and cooked, or approximately 275ml apple puree
(if you use ready made, check the carb content!)

400g ground almonds (or 300g almonds, 50g ground flaxseed, 50g soy flour)
50g coconut flour
5 to 10g Splenda type sweetener (to taste)
1½ tsp cinnamon
1½ tsp mixed spice
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½ tbsp baking powder
50g mixed seeds (I used Neal's Yard Omega Mix)
50g chopped walnuts

110g butter, melted
3 eggs beaten
45ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence/extract

1 large loaf (10 x 4") or square tin, lined.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Mix all of the wet ingredients together, add them to the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the pureed apple ( I cooked my own, and whizzed with a hand blender to break the skin up. You could cook the apple peeled)

Mix well and turn into the prepared tin. Bake at about Gas 3, 160c, 325f, for about 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Cool on a wire rack.

This can be served warm or cold or toasted, with butter (to lower the GI) and can also be frozen in slices for convenience.

16 slices; 6g carbs per slice.

Blueberry & Lemon Breakfast Loaf

DSCF2475.jpg

400g ground almonds
50g coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g chopped almonds
10g natural wheat bran (optional)
grated zest of 1 large lemon

110g butter, melted
4 eggs beaten
100ml double cream
juice of 1 large lemon
½ tsp lemon oil (optional)

100g fresh or frozen blueberries (raspberries would be nice too)

Put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk all of the wet ingredients (but not the lemon juice) together. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. When well mixed, stir in the lemon juice and mix again. Gently stir in the berries.

Bake at 160c, Gas 3, 325f for an hour or until a fine skewer comes out clean.

5g carbs per slice.

Banana & Chocolate Chip Breakfast Loaf

DSCF2742.jpg

400g ground almonds (or 300g almonds, 50g ground flaxseed, 50g soy flour)
50g coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsps cinnamon
50g chopped walnuts
10g natural wheat bran (optional)
75g dark chocolate (I used 85% from Aldi) chopped into chunks

110g butter, melted
5 eggs beaten
100ml double cream
2 to 3 tsp banana flavouring (I use Frontier Natural from eBay)

Put all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Put the wet ingredients into a small bowl and mix together. Add to the dry ingredients and stir well. if your mix seems very stiff add water, milk or cold tea for a softer consistency. Scrape in to a lined loaf tin(s) as above and bake at 160c, Gas 3, 325f for an hour or until a fine skewer comes out clean.

5g carbs per slice.

If you can get to an Aldi this is fairly cheap to make - ground almonds are 99p for 175g, 98p for half pound of unsalted butter there, and the dark chocolate is excellent value too at 99p for 125g.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Breakfast Loaf

Hey Sweetheart!

That looks brilliant! I'll definately give that a go.

Smidge

SweetHeart

I'll get a photo up tomorrow. If I slice another slice to take it's photo I shall only eat it.......best wait for breakfast!

Ju

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather

Sounds really good! Looking forward to seeing a photo of it.

A

Anonymous

That looks lovely - my only concern would be the 400g of almonds - that's quite expensive (£3 ish if you buy by the kilo) - or am I just being tight?

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

can someones please tell me where i can find coconut flour. i have a few recipies that call for it but i have looked in various supermarkets and could not find it.

btw...that looks yummy!!

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.

Hi Ju,

Have you ever tried cooking it without using splenda as a sort of apple toast? If so - was it any good? :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

You can buy coconut flour online its called Tiana. Or you can get it from Holland And Barrett.

SweetHeart

Swimmer, you could always half the recipe and make a smaller loaf. I buy my ground almonds in Aldi, 99p for 200g, so £1.98 isn't too bad, especially if you freeze the slices - unless you're like me, you possibly wouldn't want it everyday for breakfast. I was kind of going for something quick to grab, that was wholesome, filling and tasty.

Truffle, it does need a wee bit of sweetener, but you could leave it out or cut the quantity in half. I've tried the basic apple cake without sweetener and it was lacking in taste. The apple is not a strong flavour in this cake. Toasted, it's quite good although it doesn't crisp up like white bread would as it is a cake texture and quite dense.

Claymic, you can buy unsweetened dessicated coconut and whizz it up fine in a food processor or mini blender.

Ju

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.

Thanks Ju - I'm definately going to give it a try!

SweetHeart

I had my one buttered slice about 9am, with coffee, and I'n only just starting to feel like lunch now at 2pm. I'm going to try tweaking the recipe for variation. Maybe swap the apple for pear puree, or put some fresh berries in it instead of puree.

Ju

spinningwoman

I'm going to try this, it sounds really nice. I will probably use my juicer to produce a low carb apple pulp - it occurred to me a while back that since apple juice is quite sweet, the pulp left from juicing apples must be significantly lower in sugars. I quite often use it in muffins etc and my son drinks the juice!

The trick also works for potatoes (though of course then the juice gets thrown away). I can make a sort of potato rosti style pancake with juiced potato pulp and egg that doesnt spike me at all, though you'd need to check it yourself. If you keep the juice and let it settle in a glass you can see a thick layer of more or less pure potato starch settle out.

C

chris lowe

Hi Sweetheart, Looks and sounds scrummy. Can I just check that it is one and half tablespoons of baking powder and not teaspoons before I go and try it out. Thanks. :thumbup:

SweetHeart

chris lowe said:
Hi Sweetheart, Looks and sounds scrummy. Can I just check that it is one and half tablespoons of baking powder and not teaspoons before I go and try it out. Thanks. :thumbup:

Definitely TABLESPOONS.

You could add a little more bicarb if you want a slightly less dense loaf, but I think the moist density is filling.

Ju

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

These look amazing, I'm going to try both when I get some more ground almonds and some of that coconut flour. Thanks for sharing these. :D

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Sorry - but these lokk AMAZING!!!

I am dribbling here... :clap:

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

Patch said:
Sorry - but these lokk AMAZING!!!

I am dribbling here... :clap:

So am I.... My loaf is in the oven right now..... smelling amazing!!!

It was a little expensive to start with as the coconut flour was £6.50 in Holland & Barratt, and the gd almonds were £3.00 but as a treat slice by slice...... It's looking worth it.....