Breakfast Surprises using CGM

finzi1966

it’s the carbs / sugars in food that raise blood sugars and fats that raise…. Also I have to loose weight as I need a knee replacement and the NHS won’t do it until my BMI is under 40. So doing the two together without being able to exercise is a nightmare. Breakfast for me 1 strawberry / 4 grapes / 40g banana/ 4 raspberries/ 125g Alpro no sugar coconut yoghurt or overnight oats in fridge - 20g rolled oats / 125g Alpro no sugar coconut yoghurt / bit of water (add more in the morning if too thick) 1 teaspoon chia seeds / add a bit of fruit in morning - cover and leave in fridge overnight - delicious. Also no sugar almond milk for coffee is far less calories / less sugars / less fats than semi skimmed milk. You will be surprised in what food / drink contains. The app opened my eyes . Also Optifast bars / shakes are good 200 calories and 20g carbs each. If I need breakfast on the go I grab an Optifast bar and make a coffee to go or take a bottle of water. A word on fats - some are good and some are bad. I go over my limit on fats occasionally when I have avocado / prawns for lunch as the app doesn’t distinguish between good / bad fats. However over a week the average normally works out ok.

Just a thought (feel free to ignore!) - grapes are what I use to treat a hypo! They are pure sugar bombs. How would you feel about ditching the grapes and banana and increasing the number of strawberries and raspberries? Then you’d still get your fruit but for much, much lower carbs.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cantfindasuitablenamehere, welcome to the forum.

If you have your own blood glucose monitor, you can test the advice you've been given for yourself. Trust your eyes and evidence in front of them, not years of incorrect dietary advice.

For breakfast one morning, just have an omelette. 3 eggs, some cheese maybe (not pre-grated in a pack, this has potato starch), use olive oil or butter for the pan. Don't add any carbs, so no mushrooms or other veg for this one time. Note your blood glucose reading before eating and watch the magic as it barely moves 2 hours later - mine sometimes even goes down with this meal.

I know we're just a bunch of randos on the internet, telling you that decades of science is wrong. You have no reason to believe or trust anyone here, but trust yourself and the data you can measure.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @cantfindasuitablenamehere, welcome to the forum.

If you have your own blood glucose monitor, you can test the advice you've been given for yourself. Trust your eyes and evidence in front of them, not years of incorrect dietary advice.

For breakfast one morning, just have an omelette. 3 eggs, some cheese maybe (not pre-grated in a pack, this has potato starch), use olive oil or butter for the pan. Don't add any carbs, so no mushrooms or other veg for this one time. Note your blood glucose reading before eating and watch the magic as it barely moves 2 hours later - mine sometimes even goes down with this meal.

I know we're just a bunch of randos on the internet, telling you that decades of science is wrong. You have no reason to believe or trust anyone here, but trust yourself and the data you can measure.
I'll be eating like this tomorrow. I thought mushrooms were ok / carb free? Thanks for the advice, taking it all in.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cantfindasuitablenamehere, Mushrooms are absolutely fine to eat, they are approximately 3.5g carb per 100g depending on type that’s about 1/2 box of mushrooms, (quite a lot of sliced mushrooms) so adding a few to a meal probably won’t make any difference to your BG. I think what @Paul_ is suggesting is to try a no carb meal just once so you can see the effect.

It’s your choice but I wouldn’t worry if you want to add a couple of mushrooms

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be eating like this tomorrow. I thought mushrooms were ok / carb free? Thanks for the advice, taking it all in.
@cantfindasuitablenamehere, Mushrooms are absolutely fine to eat, they are approximately 3.5g carb per 100g depending on type that’s about 1/2 box of mushrooms, (quite a lot of sliced mushrooms) so adding a few to a meal probably won’t make any difference to your BG. I think what @Paul_ is suggesting is to try a no carb meal just once so you can see the effect.

It’s your choice but I wouldn’t worry if you want to add a couple of mushrooms
Thanks @lovinglife, that's indeed what I meant.

My post was just a suggestion for one meal and one meal only, for the purposes of putting your mind at ease @cantfindasuitablenamehere on the recommendations in this thread.

Aphrodite13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No fruit! DNs that haven't a clue!
As others have said, saturated fat isn’t the problem here.

I have a home made granola with berries or kiwi fruit and Greek yogurt most days. This, with other changes, has got my hba1c down from 77 last Nov to 35 now.
Hi Lindsaypmilner,

Would love to see your granola recipe please!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make one out of whatever seeds nuts and coconut I have. I add some cinnamon, a sprinkle of erythritol and toast with a bit of coconut oil/ghee in a deep sauté pan, on a baking tray or even in a slow cooker. Be careful. It goes from raw to burnt in the precise moment you look away or stop stirring.

Pinhome

Hello, I was diagnosed type 2 in July (result was 53) after a few years of rising HbA1c levels not highlighted by GP. Not medicated & so decided to "find my own way" seeking advice online etc.

Recently trying a CGM which shows I wake up with 5.9 reading, which fluctuates all day around 7. Breakfast spikes 12.2 for an hour or so after eating. This is water porridge with 30g high fibre oats, no sweetener. So I figure I have to eat something else. Avoiding anything with saturated fat as I was advised that caused it in the first place so I don't think I can have eggs or yoghurt. Other meals seem okay (lots of salad etc and no refined carbs at all), most of the time the measurement is under 10.

Short of eating plain faxseed, chia and water for breakfast, anything else allowed that won't spike blood sugar this way and doesn't have saturated fat in it? What do people have for breakfast?

My next blood test is end Oct would like to get the result down if I can by then.

Many thanks.
Hi as a T2 for breakfast I have authentic Greek yogurt (not in the style of) you can find this at most supermarkets. Go for the full fat (not low fat more sugar). Healthy fats are fine for T2. To this I add berries and a handful of nuts .. delicious. Bacon eggs and mushrooms are fine too(not toast though unless you buy very low carb bread). Also no porridge oats they are not good for a T2. Cereals are not fir us either too much sugar. You can have mashed avocado with tomato cucumber . Hope this helps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay so I took on board the advice. Hungry this morning and 6.1 on the CGM. Started with 50g full fat greek yoghurt with 30g raspberries, 5g psyllium and 5g chia. Followed it with 130g mushrooms, 2 low-carb sausages, a fried egg and a tomato. Delicious and very filling.

I had a walk after breakfast, during which BG went up to about 7.7 for a few minutes and then dropped to about 6 and stayed there since,

It's 12:30 and I still don't feel hungry enough for lunch.

I feel like I am getting top scores today. Thanks for all the advice.

Blueiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a thought (feel free to ignore!) - grapes are what I use to treat a hypo! They are pure sugar bombs. How would you feel about ditching the grapes and banana and increasing the number of strawberries and raspberries? Then you’d still get your fruit but for much, much lower carbs.
i do need some carbs in my breakfast to keep me going till lunch. 40g of banana is 1/4 of calories / carbs of 30g supposedly low fat cereal. using the Nutracheck app I keep my daily intake of carbs to 80g and 30g sugars and adjust my meals accordingly.

Attachments

• IMG_0807.png
    IMG_0807.png
    427.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: erikame

lenj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I was diagnosed type 2 in July (result was 53) after a few years of rising HbA1c levels not highlighted by GP. Not medicated & so decided to "find my own way" seeking advice online etc.

Recently trying a CGM which shows I wake up with 5.9 reading, which fluctuates all day around 7. Breakfast spikes 12.2 for an hour or so after eating. This is water porridge with 30g high fibre oats, no sweetener. So I figure I have to eat something else. Avoiding anything with saturated fat as I was advised that caused it in the first place so I don't think I can have eggs or yoghurt. Other meals seem okay (lots of salad etc and no refined carbs at all), most of the time the measurement is under 10.

Short of eating plain faxseed, chia and water for breakfast, anything else allowed that won't spike blood sugar this way and doesn't have saturated fat in it? What do people have for breakfast?

My next blood test is end Oct would like to get the result down if I can by then.

Many thanks.
Hi. I control my diabetes via low-carb food. I can miss breakfast, butif I have anything, it's a boiled egg (vertually zero carb) and try to keep low during the day. Don't know if this is allowed, but I found the books by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi an eye opener, and beautiful food to help me cope. I thoroughly recommend them to anyone. They also, with help of Dr David Unwin, explain diabetes, how it works and how to help your body cope. Hope this helps.

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I control my diabetes via low-carb food. I can miss breakfast, butif I have anything, it's a boiled egg (vertually zero carb) and try to keep low during the day. Don't know if this is allowed, but I found the books by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi an eye opener, and beautiful food to help me cope. I thoroughly recommend them to anyone. They also, with help of Dr David Unwin, explain diabetes, how it works and how to help your body cope. Hope this helps.
I don't know if this is allowed, but I think it sounds like a reasonable approach. I think it's important to find what works for you and what helps you keep your blood sugar levels normal. I thought breakfast is necessary.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this is allowed, but I think it sounds like a reasonable approach. I think it's important to find what works for you and what helps you keep your blood sugar levels normal. I thought breakfast is necessary.
Of course you can miss breakfast. In fact it’s a deliberate strategy for many called intermittent fasting. The only proviso would be that it isn’t contraindicated by a few medications Eg fixed doses of insulin, others might need some adjustment. Food will only ever raise levels, even if only slightly for good choices.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife just described the LivLife bread as "dolls' house bread" and I can't stop laughing about it!
It entertained my wife for an extraordinary length of time on seeing the slices too.

I choose to view it as aiding me with portion control of carbs, despite my wife's jokes all being 100% true!