Breakfast

Jim2702

Hi all.
I’m on 52 units in the morning, and I ain’t sure what or how much should I have for breakfast. Any advice?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jim, welcome to the forum. Can you tell us what type you are? You take 52 units of what? Are we you on any other medication?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I imagine you are type 2 because of the quantity you're on and that you've been given that dose to cover whatever you normally eat.
If you can tell us a bit more about what that is we can make suggestions bearing in mind that you'd need to adjust the insulin to keep you safe e.g. if you are eating toast and cereal now you can't switch to bacon and eggs without reducing the dose.

Jim2702

Hi

Sorry I ain’t too good with this forum lark. It’s taking me ages just to find my post again.
I’m on other medication but not for diabetes.
I take 52 units of novamix In the morning and 26 in the evening. Does the higher dosage mean I need to eat more. I get so confused with all of this. I basically don’t understand diabetes at all.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Sorry I ain’t too good with this forum lark. It’s taking me ages just to find my post again.
I’m on other medication but not for diabetes.
I take 52 units of novamix In the morning and 26 in the evening. Does the higher dosage mean I need to eat more. I get so confused with all of this. I basically don’t understand diabetes at all.

Hello there @Jim2702 , and welcome here :)

Do you have a blood sugar meter? If not, then I think you could get a better understanding of your own situation, and better understanding of what is happening, if you could get one.
You say "higher dosage", but it's unclear what you are comparing with. Have your doses been changed, is your dose too big in your own opinion, or do you think it is big in comparison to some other persons doses? If your Blood Sugar Levels (BSL) are OK, then your doses are also OK.
High doses does not necessarily mean you have to compensate with more carbohydrates. Different people react differently, so there is no absolute rules.

Write down a few of your questions, and add some info about yourself, and your situation, and we'll try to help you by starting from there...

Edited just to change a small error (is->are)...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its a mixed insulin you are using, so a 70/30 split of basal/bolus...........

the doses you are on don't really translate to a certain amount of carbs......you will need to observe your blood sugar levels and decide whether or not the 52 units is enough to keep you reasonably stable right up until dinner time.....so your breakfast and lunch.....if you test and your exceptionally high at lunch and at dinner, then you could assume the 52 isn't enough....or that you are eating too many carbs, whatever way you want to look at it......so from there you can make adjustments with the dose [with help from your diabetes team] and/or your diet....

the same goes with the evening dose.....that needs to deal with your dinner and anything after that until the morning.....same approach applies...

so get a meter and start testing, knowledge is power....;)

Jim2702

Thank you.
Can I start again please.

I have loads of questions but they are for my brother who also has diabetes. I’m new to this but my brother has had type 1 diabetes for around 10 years. But he also has late stage dementia. So he is unable to communicate. I thought if I could get it right for me I can help him with his. He has a full time Carer but he knows little about diabetes and struggles to keep his levels under control. His nurse doesn’t seem to be interested anymore as he is no longer able to participate with test and things. I go to see him everyday for around 3 hours a time but sit there worrying if his levels are ok because I can’t keep sticking him all the time. What do I do when his levels drop to 4 ? Should I give him glucose tablets or should I give him food I’m not sure what to do. I end up worrying myself to death. Which ain’t doing either of us any good. Is there a course I can go on

Jim2702

Hi
I imagine you are type 2 because of the quantity you're on and that you've been given that dose to cover whatever you normally eat.
If you can tell us a bit more about what that is we can make suggestions bearing in mind that you'd need to adjust the insulin to keep you safe e.g. if you are eating toast and cereal now you can't switch to bacon and eggs without reducing the dose.

He

Bishop

Hi
The amount of insulin you take differs from meal to meal and from person to person. You need to know more about how your body reacts to specific foods. Also, it's very important how much you exercise, this has a great impact on your blood sugars.
I have a new youtube channel about diabetes type 1. There is a video about breakfast, maybe this will help you.