Breakfast

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am Type 2 on Sukkarto SR 100mg twice a day morning and evening.
I am on a low sugar/fat diet.
For breakfast I have 4 x 10 gram low sugar cereals such as 5% Cheerios, Benefit Red Fruit, Malted Wheatley’s and Bite Size Shredded Wheat with Almond Milk and powdered sweetener and a coffee made with skimmed milk.
You could have Porridge made with water and add some warmed almond milk and sweetener. Scrambled egg on toast. You have so many possibilities

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I prefer Fage natural greek yogurt 5% with a mix of berries and sprinkled with linwoods milled flax seed, its like desert.

I do like eggs bacon etc but cannot face cooking it early mornings, plus im a caveman so the wife would wake up to washing up, that could cause a whole new set of health risks.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am Type 2 on Sukkarto SR 100mg twice a day morning and evening.
I am on a low sugar/fat diet.
For breakfast I have 4 x 10 gram low sugar cereals such as 5% Cheerios, Benefit Red Fruit, Malted Wheatley’s and Bite Size Shredded Wheat with Almond Milk and powdered sweetener and a coffee made with skimmed milk.
You could have Porridge made with water and add some warmed almond milk and sweetener. Scrambled egg on toast. You have so many possibilities
Those options are really not good for a type 2 (unless low carb bread) but the cereals are not great. For those on insulin you can change your dosages to handle the extra carbs though that would be true but whether it’s a good idea I am unsure.

bacon, eggs, Greek yoghurt, Avacado, low carb bread are good choices. Some sausages are low carbs but have to watch out

jane1754

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a Type 1 I try to keep to low carb. My favourite breakfast is chocolate chia pudding (you have to make it the night before to let the chia seeds swell), only 5 gram carb, and I top it with kefir/greek yogurt and some berries. I make my own low carb granola - you can find recipes on line - about 8 gram carb per 100 gram granola, and have almond milk on it. Sometimes I make low carb pancakes (5 gram carb each) and have them with kefir and berries. I make enough pancake mix for 3 days and keep it in the fridge. Occasionally I have a poached egg on mashed avocado on seeded toast; the bread is only 17 g carb and the rest doesn't count. And all of these have good fat and protein, which is important to me as I am underweight, but the low carbs help to keep my blood glucose more stable. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 on Metformin, sitagliptin, dapagloflozin and gliclicide, unless I'm hungry Coffee with double cream, "breakfast" is usually about 1:30pm, today I've had chaffles & butternut squash soup

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those on insulin you can change your dosages to handle the extra carbs
That depends on the insulin regime, for someone on basal/bolus this is easily done but most Type 2's are started on a mixed insulin which isn't flexible in the way you describe

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That depends on the insulin regime, for someone on basal/bolus this is easily done but most Type 2's are started on a mixed insulin which isn't flexible in the way you describe
Thanks for the clArification. I have learnt something and appreciate the correction

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you don't mind cooking then eggs & bacon is good. Porridge is OK in small quantity as it's carb. I have a little home-made muesli with cold milk to have as well as the eggs. I add seeds to the muesli but no sugar of course. Avoid any general cereals and keep the toast at one slice.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually skip breakfast because I don't know what to have. Can you tell me what you have? I'm Type 2 on Insulin.

Hi Marjorie, is there any particular regime you are following such as low carb or maybe you are on a fixed dose of insulin in the morning and have been told to have carbs, or you are struggling to balance glucose levels, etc? It helps to know because we can then shape our replies. If you are just asking for some run of the mill breakfast ideas, well, anything goes! There is nothing wrong in skipping breakfast of course, I haven't eaten it in years BUT it does depend on your current situation around the insulin. For example, for me, no breakfast equals no bolus insulin but as mentioned above, some people are on fixed doses and that's a different matter. x

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m type 1 but also on insulin, for breakfast my main two options are either 3 Eggs with 2 crumpets. 3 eggs with 2 bagel thins. Both them options are 40G of carbs, have to be the brown bagels though unless it’s 50g of carbs with the white ones.

Second option, depending on which gym session I’m doing is either 40g, 60g or 70g of oats with 25grams of peanut butter.

Reactions: Bash_