Breakfast

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Hi Everyone.

Right i have been really shaky inside my head for the past few weeks, but i think i'm getting on top of that now. Fingers crossed. so i think i may be ready

Lower carb breakfasts?? I have been confort eating to a big extent the past week but i've decided to start with the breakfast and then work on the other meals later in regard to the low carb. as i have been told one baby step at a time. :p

In the morning i am completely useless, i can barely see straight so suggestions for quick easy breakfasts that might be able to be made the night before. erm.

iknow bacon in the microwave would be ok, low carb and no frying. but well what else? eggs seem like such a faff when i haven't had my morning caffine hit. yeah and then i'm stumped.

I really want to get the weight off and seeing the success ppl hvae been having on here i want to try. I'm off to buy my first set of scales today and i want to see those numbers go down. i'll lose another three stone if it kills me!! then i might be about a reasonable weight ish. but thats the aim.

so any help would be most appreciated. all i am having at the minute is weightwatchers bread as toast, (used to haev cearal but well gone off that now, used to have cheerios and the sweetness now actually hurts my mouth when i eat it)

any help would be great, as i say i think i am ready to start. (i was having problems with being "different" but i think i'll be ok. heck if Halle berry can cope then so can i!)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi manxangel.

Cold deli meats and cheese with some olives is a good low carb brekkie. Another quick fix is to make a deep egg tortilla - like a thick omlette with any combo of meat, fish or veggies, with grilled cheese on top. You can make this the night before and simply cut some slices in the morning. It'll keep for 2 or 3 days too, if you cover it with foil or film. Quicker and a million times better than toast or cereal!

All the best,

fergus

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Manxangel.
I think breakfast is the hardest meal to adapt and if you want to do things slowly, I'd suggest changing lunch or your evening meal.
Don't fret too much about minimising your fat intake, in the absence of carbs, fat is not that important.

Good luck!

wiflib

manxangel

Dislikes
Hi, the main reason i want to change my Breakfast is because i don't eat the same as hubby anyway as he is Coeliac. so therefore i don't have to watch him tucking into big piles of gluten free pasta or whatever and feel bad.

I'm just walking a pretty delicate line at the moment and i think this might be the easiest place to start. and then the rest will follow.

btw i am liking that eggs idea! i will give that a go over the next few days definatly. i will let you know how i get on.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah ha! I can help you on the pasta issue too.
I have Dreamfields pasta in my cupboard. It's low in available carbs and tastes no different to me. A 2oz portion is all that's needed.

wiflib

manxangel

Dislikes
Dreamfields? i have never even heard of that. well that might be worth a try too!

have to admit i do adore my pasta! i'll keep an eye out for that. we are pretty restricted as to what we can get on the Isle of Man but i will definatly be looking for that one.

Thanks for the tip

manxangel

Dislikes
Sorry i am being on pain in the rear today.

Just been skeeting on the net about the carb content of some foods and i worked out my diet for yesterday.

all in all it was around 50g of carbs. (2 slices weightwatchers brown bread (they only had white on the net so i jsut put that,) another one with my lunch,(6g) and a scoop of mash with my tea (it reckoned about 20g.) i did however have some choc with my lunch becuase i wanted to :p :p :p
now i eat loads of veg and we had chicken for tea but i didn't count the chicken as it wasn't that nice and i didn't finish it.

now thats not an awful lot is it? i am still averaging taking about 10 units with brekkie and lunch and a fair bit more with my tea usually 16-22 units by my guess work.

i'm not working out an exact science here but still. any advice?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Scrambled eggs do in the microwave easily.
Break eggs into a pyrex bowl and whisk gently with a fork, season lightly with salt and pepper(and herbs if you like them)
put in a knob of butter
yo7u can add milk or better cream if you like
Microwave 1 minute
take out and beat with fork
repeat until done.
You will learn how many minutes you can leave it going, until you have to take it out to beat it.( mine is 2 for 2 eggs)
If you like the eggs soft
take out when someof the egg is still liquid, mix and leave to finish cooking in its own heat.

Tigerhair

I enjoy - black forest ham or cold bacon (bought cooked - it's less greasy) with boiled eggs (yummy!).

Nice quick omlette... Sometimes use mushies and peppers if I cannot face bacon.

kippers...

Hard boiled cold eggs and either bacon or some cheese or nuts.

Poached eggs.

You could add half a slice of bread (nutty/seedy) bread if you aren't trying to lose weight - and have any of the above as well.

manxangel

Dislikes
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm kippers. i LOVE kippers. mmmmmmm i am so going down the smoke house this weekend a geting some freshun's.
mmmmmmm kippers.
lol

Trinkwasser

My old mate Alan has some good breakfast suggestions on his blog

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/ ... fasts.html

I used to do the classic bowl of muesli washed down with orange juice (dietician approved, but my meter said NO WAY!!!)

I can do about 15g carbs which may be more than many of you can handle at that time of day, my usual mix is a maximum of two oatcakes with smoked salmon, kippers, mackerel, bacon or lamb chops with a large handful of salad (often including a couple of olives) and a small handful of toasted sunflower seeds.

This will max my BG out around 6, after which I drop back to my 4 - 5 safe zone and presumably the protein keeps me going for some time. Only if I'm particularly busy do I need to add morning snacks, usually single oatcakes with nut butter or cheese, or nuts.

More than at any other time of day you need to think out of the box.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
This morning I tried porridge......the sort that you microwave. It's been a while since I've eaten them. Quite good and filling and you actually eat less than normal cereals. My stomach is a bit bloated at the moment. Could be 'botty burp' time today....sorry!! :?

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
If I have porridge it makes bg go up so have had bacon, eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms for last couple of days with half slice of granary bread and that seems to be OK :D

Chris

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Wish I had the time to cook breakfast. It's a case of shower, dress, feed the cat and throw something in my bag for lunch before going out the front door to catch the bus. I can't eat too big a breakfast either. Weekends I don't bother with anything as I'm not at all hungry. This morning it was a small bowl of wheetos and semi skimmed milk. :wink:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I usually have eggs for breakfast. This morning though had a slice of German pumpernikel wih a sliverr of smoked salmon.
I discovered Lidl's smoked salmon after being told about it by a lady on the bus. ( Ah the benefits of a free bus pass!)
I've had some of the salmon with scrambled egg too,

gillyh

Dislikes
Bought 6 duck eggs when i went to Birmingham markets Tuesday. got a couple tonight with toast soldiers!! :wink:

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
tend to have some sort of crunchy cereal mixed in with museli and some sort of flakes on top, sometimes with fruit and a strong mug of coffee, soya milk instead of cows - seems the cows milk gives me heartburn

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum ,Steve.Have you tested your blood sugar after that breakfast to see how much it elevates your blood sugar(BS)?

Trinkwasser

sugarless sue said:
Welcome to the forum ,Steve.Have you tested your blood sugar after that breakfast to see how much it elevates your blood sugar(BS)?

Judas Priest, mine went up just *reading* that!

I can't even eat wheat bran without spiking. Some people can get away with muesli in the evening, I can't but I can do a bit of wheat bread. The rest of the day I'm limited to oatcakes and small pieces of ryebread.

I shudder at the thought of what I was unknowingly doing to myself all those years I was eating a "healthy" diet

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
breakfast needs to be quick and i for one thought that cooking was a no-no

however i scramble a couple of eggs with cream and add a small amount of smoked salmon or cheese at the end, and then to be disgusting eat it quick out of the non stick pan :oops: before i go to work, i find it takes no more than a couple of mins and i am not bored of it yet

also i don't get hungry til lunch. i find my levels just before lunch are the lowest of the day