Breakfast

Afzal G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I am new to the forum but am a Type 2 on Insulin as well as Metmorphin. I take Novorapid at meal times and need some advise on what cereals is best without BG going up too much later, also what about bread? Does anyone find that having toast with butter hikes up the BG levels?
Thanks
Afzal

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No cereals (sugared rubbish) and VERY little bread .... they'd spike me to Mars

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Afzal G - Hello and Welcome to the Forum.:). I too take Metformin 2000mg and Insulin daily for Type 2. Everyone is different - as I eat Hovis Wheatgerm Bread toasted and buttered for Breakfast and/or Lunch and it does not raise my blood sugars, and sometimes I eat Porridge and that has no effect on my blood sugar.
What you need to do is use your blood meter - test before you eat cereals or bread and then test 2 hours later, then see what effect? If any it has on you blood sugar. This is the only way I find. Hope this is of some help to you.:)

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello and Welcome to the Forums :) I eat serial in a morning but it does send levels high and have to walk it off.....

Afzal G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and Welcome to the Forums :) I eat serial in a morning but it does send levels high and have to walk it off.....
Hi Patsy,
Thank you, and I agree there's a lot of cereals out there with high sugars and carbs!

Afzal G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Afzal G - Hello and Welcome to the Forum.:). I too take Metformin 2000mg and Insulin daily for Type 2. Everyone is different - as I eat Hovis Wheatgerm Bread toasted and buttered for Breakfast and/or Lunch and it does not raise my blood sugars, and sometimes I eat Porridge and that has no effect on my blood sugar.
What you need to do is use your blood meter - test before you eat cereals or bread and then test 2 hours later, then see what effect? If any it has on you blood sugar. This is the only way I find. Hope this is of some help to you.:)
Hi
Thanks for your reply which is very helpful, I will monitor as I go along and I'll probably try the different bread as you've said and yes porridge seems a better option.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Afzal G - Hi. In fact any foods that you are unsure about? Just have a small amount and check before eating and then 2 hours after. A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) and lose weight and lower their HBA1C.
Here us a link for you to have a read of.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I don't eat cereal, it is processed food masquerading as something healthy. The manufacturers should be shot! (but then I can be a wee bit extreme when it comes to food and health). I cannot see past eggs for breakfast, boiled, poached, fried in coconut oil, scrambled, baked in a rancho huervo. Sure it takes a wee bit longer but I can have a shower as the eggs boil or bake or do my stretches or plan my day in my head. Bread is not part of my diet anymore, I don't miss it now.

Afzal G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat cereal, it is processed food masquerading as something healthy. The manufacturers should be shot! (but then I can be a wee bit extreme when it comes to food and health). I cannot see past eggs for breakfast, boiled, poached, fried in coconut oil, scrambled, baked in a rancho huervo. Sure it takes a wee bit longer but I can have a shower as the eggs boil or bake or do my stretches or plan my day in my head. Bread is not part of my diet anymore, I don't miss it now.
great to read your response,

Afzal G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Sealord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
i am on the same metaformin and insulin ,...Liam is correct everyone is different..alot depends on your activity too. I find the "Guardian " cornflake type cereal is good...any that have low g.i....hope it helps

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
I am new to the forum but am a Type 2 on Insulin as well as Metmorphin. I take Novorapid at meal times and need some advise on what cereals is best without BG going up too much later, also what about bread? Does anyone find that having toast with butter hikes up the BG levels?
Thanks
Afzal
@Afzal G I find that I can eat 1 - 1/2 slices of seeded bread with my eggs w/out too much affect on my BS. However I seem to be in the minority as I can also eat bran flakes and often have hot oat cereal with oatbran for breakfast. I've also found a grain free granola made by Paleo Food Co in Sainsburys which is a bit pricy but doesn't spike me. However the only way to know is to test as we are all different.